2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Hey guys, just wanted to quickly collect some information on Troy Bourke. His stats look fine but does he have the potential to make it to the NHL? I'm staying in Vancouver at the moment and I'll be at the Giants vs Cougars game on the 30th obviously looking to have a closer look at Bourke. So, what can I expect?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Bigras would be Sutter's swiss army knife on the blueline, wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to cut him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know guys, Severson is a pretty damn awesome defenseman and further along in his development. Even though Reinhart is there, Severson is the "closest" in terms of playing style to Trouba for Canada.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't know guys, Severson is a pretty damn awesome defenseman and further along in his development. Even though Reinhart is there, Severson is the "closest" in terms of playing style to Trouba for Canada.

This.
After looking at the roster, I must admit that Bigras certainly could be cut. I would not blame Sutter one bit.

Keeping Severson over him is no slight at all to Bigras IMO.

And to be honest. Aside from prospect watching, the WJC is not a big deal.

Bigras getting cut and playing big minutes with Owen Sound is better than him being the utility #7 Dman on Team Canada that barely gets any playing time.

And he might see it as a motivation (chip on the shoulder!).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hey guys, just wanted to quickly collect some information on Troy Bourke. His stats look fine but does he have the potential to make it to the NHL? I'm staying in Vancouver at the moment and I'll be at the Giants vs Cougars game on the 30th obviously looking to have a closer look at Bourke. So, what can I expect?

You get to see Geertsen too! Would appreciate any report or thoughts you have. I like Bourke as a prospect. Captain, good offense, seems to be a bit chippy. Like a lot of our prospects I think he's on the small side and that's a concern for his NHL potential. Bourke got in a fight the other night http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/120729

I'm optimistic on Bigras making team Canada. Seems like Pelech could be the one who gets cut? If Bigras stays it won't be as the 7th, he should do a bit of everything. Plus someone has to fill in for Reinhart while he serves his suspension so even that 7th will get in at least 3 games. FWIW, Bigras played that scrimmage before they left for Sweden paired with Dumba.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Every 'expert' seems to be predicting that Bigras will be cut... When experts agree unanimously they are rarely right. I think Bigras will make the team as a 5-6 to start and he will move up quickly because he doesn't make many mistakes and plays a simple game. The coaches will trust him because of that.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
You get to see Geertsen too! Would appreciate any report or thoughts you have. I like Bourke as a prospect. Captain, good offense, seems to be a bit chippy. Like a lot of our prospects I think he's on the small side and that's a concern for his NHL potential. Bourke got in a fight the other night http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/120729

I'm optimistic on Bigras making team Canada. Seems like Pelech could be the one who gets cut? If Bigras stays it won't be as the 7th, he should do a bit of everything. Plus someone has to fill in for Reinhart while he serves his suspension so even that 7th will get in at least 3 games. FWIW, Bigras played that scrimmage before they left for Sweden paired with Dumba.

I'll definitely focus on these two and tell you guys what I saw. Will be my first North American minor league game though so I might have some difficulties to put into context whatever I see. I'll try my best. Looking forward to it!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Rielly finally scored. I think it's safe to say they won't be shipping him to Sweden tomorrow.

Everyone expects Bigras to get cut because he isn't a sexy name. Nobody can give one good hockey reason why he should get cut anyway.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Rielly finally scored. I think it's safe to say they won't be shipping him to Sweden tomorrow.

Everyone expects Bigras to get cut because he isn't a sexy name. Nobody can give one good hockey reason why he should get cut anyway.

Sure they can...he's not a prospect for a Canadian team, so therefore he's garbage.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh you thilly goose!

How%2BBad%2BAre%2BWe.jpg

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 22m

TOR has decided Morgan Rielly will NOT be loaned to Canada's national junior team for the WJC.

Helps Bigras chances of making the team, I guess.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Butcher made the first cut for team USA and will be going to Sweden. Three more cuts left. They cut DeAngelo, who my understanding was Butcher's competition at puck moving D.

I'll be pretty shocked if Butcher doesn't make the team. From everything I've heard he has had a really good camp and has proved in the past he plays well in these type situations for the national team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Both of those things might be a good sign for Bigras. No Rielly and they have him paired with one of Canada's better defensemen right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't believe they dragged out the Rielly thing so long, it was becoming a distraction to him. Like they really were going to ship him to Sweden a week after the rest of the team and he'd arrive like a day before their first exhibition game.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
TSN had the defence pairings as this:

Pouliot-Ekblad
Bigras-Dumba
Morissey-Severson
Pelech

Bob McKenzie also added, "Pouliot, Ekblad, and Dumba are all locks. The fact that Chris Bigras is paired with Dumba suggests to me he is in pretty good shape."

He then said that one of Bigras, Morrisey, Severson, and Pelech has to go home.

I believe Bigras just mishandled it in the neutral zone, and Finland scored off it.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How is Dumba a lock. He looks bad.

Because he is flashy and has preformed really well on the international stage before. I just don't understand how Canada says they wanted players to play within themselves and then go and select Dumba. That kid has so much talent, but takes huge risks constantly.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Because he is flashy and has preformed really well on the international stage before. I just don't understand how Canada says they wanted players to play within themselves and then go and select Dumba. That kid has so much talent, but takes huge risks constantly.

That's probably why he's paired with Bigras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad