2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Damn Oilers fans and their voodoo dolls. Read on twitter that is was some kind of facial/head injury. It was from some random guy though so I don't know if it's accurate.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Damn Oilers fans and their voodoo dolls. Read on twitter that is was some kind of facial/head injury. It was from some random guy though so I don't know if it's accurate.

Manny Paiva ‏@paivatheway 6 Dec
The Owen Sound Attack lead the Guelph Storm 3-0 after 1 without Bigras who left midway through 1st period. Yes this is not a typo.

Chris Bigras left 1st period with towel on chin and mouth after hit in Guelph. Team Canada hopeful.

Bigras is back in the game for the Owen Sound Attack.

And then he played the next day. Here's the game summary from the Dec. 7 game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Owen Sound Attack lead the Guelph Storm 3-0 after 1 without Bigras who left midway through 1st period. Yes this is not a typo.

Chris Bigras left 1st period with towel on chin and mouth after hit in Guelph. Team Canada hopeful.

Bigras is back in the game for the Owen Sound Attack.

And then he played the next day. Here's the game summary from the Dec. 7 game.

Good to hear. Hopefully everything is alright.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sounds like some Oiler fans got a little too excited. I found the same tweets too. I know Bigras isn't a big name but with the insane amount of coverage on the WJC I'd think it would be at least mentioned if someone had to withdraw due to injury.

The guy who tweeted about oh Bigras is out for the WJC or whatever did so prior to Bigras playing the game on the 7th.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sounds like some Oiler fans got a little too excited.

Some of them want Canada to fail badly just because they didn't take Nurse so them being happy about a potential Bigras injury wouldn't be too surprising.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Hey what's up with Hishon? He's not playing tonight and he missed the last game too. Please tell me he's not hurt again.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
And what's up with Spencer Martin? He was playing so well earlier this year, and now he's having the worst season of his career. He's being lit up right now for 9 goals! And it's only halfway through the second period. Poor kid

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Isn't Martin's team pretty awful? That's my impression but not like I've seen any of those games.

Yeah, they are. 13-17-2, but still. He's getting lit up by the crappy teams too now. It's Erie tonight, the best team in the OHL and favorites for the Memorial Cup IMO but damn.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It's Erie he's getting lit up by. This is a powerhouse of an Erie team that won't even miss a beat when McDavid, Burakovsky and Dansk head to the World Juniors.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
8 out of those 9 goals Martin gave up in the first two periods weren't his fault. Only the seventh goal early in the second from Dane Fox was weak. The rest were tap-ins, wrist-shots in the slot or easy rebounds his teammates failed to clear or control.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
It's Erie he's getting lit up by. This is a powerhouse of an Erie team that won't even miss a beat when McDavid, Burakovsky and Dansk head to the World Juniors.

I'm aware it's Erie, my point was that he's having a terrible year. Take away the three times Erie lit him up the last little bit and he still has played brutal.

North Bay 3GA 0.914 GAA 35 shots against
Sudbury 3GA 0.57 GAA 7 shots against
Niagara 3GA 0.88 GAA 25 shots against
Belleville 4GAA 0.83 GAA 23 shots against
Kingston 6GA 0.85GAA 41 shots against

Niagara and Belleville are celler dwelling teams that Mississauga is better by a wide point total. Sudbury and Kingston are good teams and North Bay is middle of the pack like Mississauga. So it's not just the elite Erie Otters beating him up, it's the junk teams. And this is only the last five games(excluding Erie). I hope he get's traded to a decent team and can turn it around. But he's hurting.

Canuck71*

Never posted here on the Avs board but I had to come here to post this.

Spencer Martin was one of my favourite goalie prospects last year and still is but he is stuck in a bad situation in Mississauga where he has just a god awful defense infront of him. I would be worried now that this is going to potentially ruin his confidence if he doesn't start getting some help from his defense because they hang him out there to dry on most nights. Most goals against in the league right now, and Martin shouldn't be to blame for most of it, he just isn't getting nearly enough help at all. Hope things turn around for him.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm aware it's Erie, my point was that he's having a terrible year. Take away the three times Erie lit him up the last little bit and he still has played brutal.

North Bay 3GA 0.914 GAA 35 shots against
Sudbury 3GA 0.57 GAA 7 shots against
Niagara 3GA 0.88 GAA 25 shots against
Belleville 4GAA 0.83 GAA 23 shots against
Kingston 6GA 0.85GAA 41 shots against

Niagara and Belleville are celler dwelling teams that Mississauga is better by a wide point total. Sudbury and Kingston are good teams and North Bay is middle of the pack like Mississauga. So it's not just the elite Erie Otters beating him up, it's the junk teams. And this is only the last five games(excluding Erie). I hope he get's traded to a decent team and can turn it around. But he's hurting.

"that Mississauga is better than by a wide point total" sure but from what I've seen they really arent that much better of a team. The Eastern Conference is a train wreck compared to the West right now. Also Kingston and Sudbury are very good offensively, and Niagara's top line can burn you if you aren't careful (ask London).

point is, while Martin isn't playing as well as he did last season, and his confidence is likely shaken right now, he's getting absolutely zero help from his team, none. Their defense is so bad. It reminded me of how Erie played defense the last two season. Terrible coverage in the zone and they were just running around, poor backcheck as well.

Unfortunately for him I don't think Missy will trade him this season as he'll be there next year and they could look to compete next season with the young roster they have now.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Much to Oilers fans' chagrin, Bigras did not in fact become incapacitated over the weekend.

I hope Reilly stays with the Leafs. If he goes, I doubt there is room for Bigras. I know that they aren't similar players at all, but there are only so many spots.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Never posted here on the Avs board but I had to come here to post this.

Spencer Martin was one of my favourite goalie prospects last year and still is but he is stuck in a bad situation in Mississauga where he has just a god awful defense infront of him. I would be worried now that this is going to potentially ruin his confidence if he doesn't start getting some help from his defense because they hang him out there to dry on most nights. Most goals against in the league right now, and Martin shouldn't be to blame for most of it, he just isn't getting nearly enough help at all. Hope things turn around for him.

Pickard was bombarded the same way when he was with Seattle and he turned out fine. I'm not worried about Martin's confidence going forward.

Canuck71*

Pickard was bombarded the same way when he was with Seattle and he turned out fine. I'm not worried about Martin's confidence going forward.

Im just saying he is in a bad situation in general. Steelheads coach left Martin in net after 6 first period goals when it was evident he should have been pulled. I don't know about you but I don't know many coaches who would leave their goalie out to dry after that kind of bombardment in the 1st period. Then he pulls Martin after the 2nd period where he lets in 3 more. You couldn't have done that in the first and spared him some embarrassment? Martin visibly rattled by it too.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
Im just saying he is in a bad situation in general. Steelheads coach left Martin in net after 6 first period goals when it was evident he should have been pulled. I don't know about you but I don't know many coaches who would leave their goalie out to dry after that kind of bombardment in the 1st period. Then he pulls Martin after the 2nd period where he lets in 3 more. You couldn't have done that in the first and spared him some embarrassment? Martin visibly rattled by it too.

Yeah that was rediculous, I agree with you. And the backup shut them down in the third period. That's what got me to post the comment, I was pretty upset they let him get torn to pieces like that.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Yeah that was rediculous, I agree with you. And the backup shut them down in the third period. That's what got me to post the comment, I was pretty upset they let him get torn to pieces like that.

Erie's fourth line played basically the entire third period and Erie completely let their foot off the gas. If the backup had been in the whole game with Erie's foot on the gas it would have been 20-1. Martin is just in a really unfortunate situation where the defense in front of him is bad and the backup is a rookie the coach is trying to shelter

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Mark Edwards (HockeyProspect.com) thinks Bigras might be one of the cuts....

I said last week that I thought Team Canada could decide to go with 8 Dmen. They have won gold previously doing that and with Reinhart under suspension and Josh Morrissey banged up, I didn’t think it was a crazy idea. Having said that, everything I heard all weekend adds up to 7 D and 13 forwards. So with that said, who gets cut?

I said last week my guess would be Chris Bigras. He was my guess and not the player I would cut if if it were up to me. My cut would be Damon Severson. We ranked Damon 59th in the 2012 NHL Draft and the Devils selected him 60th overall. I thought Damon had the poorest showing on Saturday and that coupled along with my viewings of him in the past have him as my cut.

I think it’s between Severson and Bigras for Hockey Canada’s bubble boys as well. Since I stated Bigras last week as my guess at the player cut, I will stick to it. It probably warrants paying attention to the Morrissey health situation this week.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/world-jr-championship-team-canada-after-selection-camp/

Hope he's wrong and Bigras makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad