2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Anyone see Geoff walkers tweet today? He has a pic of Hishon on the bus who's going on the road trip with the team apparently. I wonder if he's been cleared to play now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol he looks like Crosby in that pic. :laugh:

Definitely getting hope when he said "Hishon on roadie bus for the first time in 2 years".

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Former Avs draft pick Troy Rutkowski has signed a three year deal with Ottawa.

Portland's captain has 61 points in 69 games this season. Avs should have signed him....

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Portland's captain has 61 points in 69 games this season. Avs should have signed him....

Looks bad on us in retrospect and while there was a good argument in his favor, there was also a good argument against him for having progressed nearly nowhere since being drafted. Personally I'd have signed him, but I can understand why we wouldn't have in retrospect.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's not the best skater. Definitely not a strength, but not a huge weakness. His best assets are his shot and passing ability, in my opinion.

I was pissed that we didn't sign him at the time, and still am. With that being said, I can see why they probably didn't. Might not be a ton of room for him on the Avs in the future...but it's not like it's a bad thing to several good offensive D in the system. It might make a guy like Barrie or Elliott easier to trade if you want to get good value for them at some point down the line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It's interesting to note that while he's had a very good offensive season, and the Avs chose not to qualify him, he re-entered the draft and no one picked him up even with a late pick.

I hope the Avs track record in letting prospects like Nigel Williams, and Colby Cohen (through trade) go before really giving them much of a shot holds in tact, because he sure appears to have been lighting the lamp offensively this year.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
It's interesting to note that while he's had a very good offensive season, and the Avs chose not to qualify him, he re-entered the draft and no one picked him up even with a late pick.

I hope the Avs track record in letting prospects like Nigel Williams, and Colby Cohen (through trade) go before really giving them much of a shot holds in tact, because he sure appears to have been lighting the lamp offensively this year.

Macias destroyed the WHL his final year and never amounted to even being an AHLer long term. If its your 4th of 5th season you should be having greater success against younger and less experienced players.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Macias destroyed the WHL his final year and never amounted to even being an AHLer long term. If its your 4th of 5th season you should be having greater success against younger and less experienced players.

Agreed. It's Rutkowksi's 5th full year in the WHL he should be tearing it up. Combine that with the fact he's playing for a stacked team and I'm not all that surprised he putting up some numbers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Don't worry Rutkowski won't be more than a bottom pairing defender at best, and will likely be a career AHLer. He has a good shot and is a good passer, but those are his only skills that are NHL level. The rest needs a ton of work. I hope for his sake that he improves and finds a spot with the Sens.

The Avs didn't sign him because there really wasn't much room for him. In the NHL you have EJ and Wilson who are young enough to be here a while. In the system you have Siemens, Barrie, Elliott, Gaunce, and even Beaupre ahead of him. I might also count Lauridsen in there as well as he will probably be signed to an ELC. In the end it was probably a mistake not to give him 3 years to see what he becomes, but either way it won't kill the Avs.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Tomas Slovak did as well and we acquired him for a song (soin :naughty:) and he never did anything either.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
Agreed. It's Rutkowksi's 5th full year in the WHL he should be tearing it up. Combine that with the fact he's playing for a stacked team and I'm not all that surprised he putting up some numbers.

In addition to what I mentioned, THN did a report and one of their sources said that if a player hasn't progressed that its a mistake to sign him. Silas and Rut never really progressed. We have seen plenty of players put up solid or even some what very good numbers but because they never really progressed over the 2-4 years their rights were owned, the Avs did not to sign them. Probably didn't help when Pracey took over and went away from the type of players the Avs were drafting. Luckily not many they walked away from have done anything really.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bah...no big deal on Rutkowski. There's only so many players an organization can sign. You're bound to pass on a kid that may yet turn out to be a legit NHLer. That said, I doubt he turns out to be much more than another Brett Clark.

Admittedly it would kind of suck if Rutkowski turns into a star and Duncan Siemens goes bust, but not a huge chance of that scenario playing like that.

Looks like with the vast amount of draft picks the Avs have to sign this year, the organization is bound to lose a good player or two. It happens.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Blandisi with a 3 point game. OHL people (Not Brock) on this site were shocked he was even drafted, safe to say he is proving them wrong.

Also Dillon Donnelly looks injured yet again. Has missed the last 3 games.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Blandisi with a 3 point game. OHL people (Not Brock) on this site were shocked he was even drafted, safe to say he is proving them wrong.

Also Dillon Donnelly looks injured yet again. Has missed the last 3 games.

Yeah looks like he just needed more ice time and I'm sure having better linemates doesn't hurt as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad