2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
It's a little bit surprising considering Bigras hasn't put up great numbers with Owen Sound. But good that he is appreciated by people outside the Avs organization. Roy, Sakic were always going to give him every chance since he's their guy but Hockey Canada have no emotional investment.

He's playing it safe because he's playing with Sharipzyanov.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Very happy to see Bigras get the invite and I hope he makes the team.

Oilers fans are really freaking out over Nurse. Then again, some people here were freaking out last year when Siemens wasn't invited to the 40 man camp so I guess that's normal. :laugh:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Very happy to see Bigras get the invite and I hope he makes the team.

Oilers fans are really freaking out over Nurse. Then again, some people here were freaking out last year when Siemens wasn't invited to the 40 man camp so I guess that's normal. :laugh:

I still think Siemens is going to disappoint a lot of people.

I think they said that Nurse plays too dangerous of a game, needs to keep it simple. Bigras is the perfect example of that. I really hope he makes the team. Can't wait to watch him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What is disappoint these days? I've resigned him to be a pretty good top 4 defender, if he were top pairing he'd be doing better in the AHL most likely.

He'll replace Hejda eventually, and that's all I ever expected. Maybe a little meaner version, especially with Footer around to give him tips once he hits the big league club.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
He'll replace Hejda eventually, and that's all I ever expected. Maybe a little meaner version, especially with Footer around to give him tips once he hits the big league club.

It will be many years before he's as good as Hejda is now, if he reaches that level.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I'll just say that I will be pleasantly surprised if he turns out to be the player Hejda is. Avs have a great track record in drafting, but I just didn't see it when I watched Siemens live.

I really wish I could see some Erie games though, would be interested in seeing him at the professional level.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still think Siemens is going to disappoint a lot of people.

Agreed. I'll admit I haven't seen him play too much, just going off what I saw at the Memorial Cup and what I've read/heard but I'm a lot less excited than I was when we drafted him. Maybe my expectations were just too high but it doesn't seem like he has improved a whole lot in the last few years.

The physical tools are there but he seems to be severely lacking in hockey IQ and with consistency. He's only 20 though and not everyone can crack the NHL right away. Might just take him a few years to put it all together.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Didn't Renegade say something like he thinks Siemens will see his biggest improvement once he is in the NHL? That sounds too obvious, but I thought there was something to that affect, at least while Siemens was still in Saskatoon.

Probably need to watch quite a few games before you could see the impact he makes. If anyone drops in watches Hejda,even this season, they probably wouldn't think he's that great. But if you watch him night in and night out, you remember all the good defensive plays he makes, how he eats up PK minutes like no one else, and just gets his job done. Hopefully we will see something similar in Siemens.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In my very few viewings of Siemens this season, he has looked good for a rookie. He definitely has some learning to do, but he was playing in a top 4 shutdown role and holding his own. Still very raw though. One thing to remember with him is that he is never going to put up a bunch of points. You will never be able to base his play on his stat line. Hell, even at his high end I don't see him as a 20 point defensemen in the NHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In my very few viewings of Siemens this season, he has looked good for a rookie. He definitely has some learning to do, but he was playing in a top 4 shutdown role and holding his own. Still very raw though. One thing to remember with him is that he is never going to put up a bunch of points. You will never be able to base his play on his stat line. Hell, even at his high end I don't see him as a 20 point defensemen in the NHL.

Which i fear is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Siemens' hockey IQ hasn't been a problem at all from what I've seen of him as he uses his tools very effectively defensively. But he won't put up the numbers people think a 11th overall pick should be. I don't care about his numbers as long as he keeps developing defensively as he has been, with that size, strength, skating and mean-streak he can be a very good top 4 guy for us who anchors our PK and lets one of Barrie or Elliott play their game. Just needs to keep growing as he has been and he'll be there in a few years.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Which i fear is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Siemens' hockey IQ hasn't been a problem at all from what I've seen of him as he uses his tools very effectively defensively. But he won't put up the numbers people think a 11th overall pick should be. I don't care about his numbers as long as he keeps developing defensively as he has been, with that size, strength, skating and mean-streak he can be a very good top 4 guy for us who anchors our PK and lets one of Barrie or Elliott play their game. Just needs to keep growing as he has been and he'll be there in a few years.

The offense has nothing to do with what I saw. I saw a player that was indecisive and very passive. I never expected offense out of him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The offense has nothing to do with what I saw. I saw a player that was indecisive and very passive. I never expected offense out of him.

Agreed, my concerns have nothing to do with offense. That said, he's young and to be honest defenders of his style obviously don't peak until their late 20s. I'm not expecting any quick relief from him or Elliott though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Hejda's been pretty damn mean himself this year. I feel like Footer has been giving him some tips :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Fair enough, but I feel like a lot of people were disappointed when he didn't better the numbers he had put up with Elliott the next season and soured on him then. Even though since his struggles at the start of that season he's been steadily gotten smarter, more dependable and more confident again. At least from what I've seen.

Hejda's been pretty damn mean himself this year. I feel like Footer has been giving him some tips :laugh:

Even Barrie's thrown his forearm into a few dudes backs along the boards throw them off balance. I know the worries about nepotism, but I love having the oldies back around to give the new generation some of their wisdom and tricks. Gunna be a blast watching Siemens develop with Hejda and Footey here to teach him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Agreed. I'll admit I haven't seen him play too much, just going off what I saw at the Memorial Cup and what I've read/heard but I'm a lot less excited than I was when we drafted him. Maybe my expectations were just too high but it doesn't seem like he has improved a whole lot in the last few years.

The physical tools are there but he seems to be severely lacking in hockey IQ and with consistency. He's only 20 though and not everyone can crack the NHL right away. Might just take him a few years to put it all together.

Never was excited about the pick TBH.

Not really.

This Canada team is freakin' small as hell, could work on the bigger ice surface, but I don't know if it will work against tougher defensive opponents like United States and Sweden.

Good maybe they'll finally win something worth.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

"Chris is going to play all kinds of roles for us. He's a very smart defenceman with a good two-way game. His versatility is important for us and hopefully it will fit in somewhere on this defensive unit."

Sounds like is he being considered beyond just a bubble player. When was the last time the Avs had a defensive prospect that's game evolved around high hockey IQ?

member 116861

I'm very excited to watch Bigras play. I didn't think he would be more than a fringe player but hearing this makes me actually look forward to the World Juniors for the first time in a while. Are any of our other prospects going to make their teams? Doesn't Butcher have a decent chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad