Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Gaudreau and Domi for Anderson, Merzlikins, Gavrikov

the huh??? a) no, b) they play for 2 separate teams, c) just no...the guy that became a shutout machine, the defenseman that really came on and helped with that...brutal...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think there's such a thing in reality as a "super scout" because it's inherently such an utter crap shoot. I think Jarmo is great at doing what he (and his staff) believes is right and sticking to it, regardless of the media/consensus/conventional wisdom, and that's critical for the role he plays.

Not to mention that development plays an equal role in "being a good scout" if you ask me. If the team you scout for sucks at helping young players reach their potential, you'll probably never be considered a good scout.

I do give him credit for drafting his own guys rather than going with conventional wisdom. It's worked out for him in some areas, and some areas not. Which is why I would put him as average.

We don't get many top end players with our picks (unless they're really high, like PLD and Werenski), and our 2nd round picks continue to flop. But we get some decent depth in the later rounds.

Completely agree on development.

Maybe he has been average if you factor in every draft, but at least he is trending in the right direction. Maybe he learned which scouts are the best from those first two drafts as a result. Maybe he learned when to trust his gut and when to listen to someone else.

For example, if you have 5 different possible viewpoints - scout A, scout B, scout C, Torts’ view, and your own view, hopefully over time you can evaluate which view or views you should rate higher than others. How does Jarmo handle it if he wants X, but 2 scouts and Torts want Y, and the third scout wants Z. It’s not a vote, but sometimes you need to let people convince you and sometimes you need to stand firm.

I'll give him a pass for a large part for the 2013 draft, as that scouting staff was Howson's, not his. But 2014 was a disaster (only Elvis can save it). And our inability to draft in the second round has been a continual issue across all our GMs.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I do give him credit for drafting his own guys rather than going with conventional wisdom. It's worked out for him in some areas, and some areas not. Which is why I would put him as average.

We don't get many top end players with our picks (unless they're really high, like PLD and Werenski), and our 2nd round picks continue to flop. But we get some decent depth in the later rounds.

I'll give him a pass for a large part for the 2013 draft, as that scouting staff was Howson's, not his. But 2014 was a disaster (only Elvis can save it). And our inability to draft in the second round has been a continual issue across all our GMs.

I'm saying I think it's a bit silly to offer assessments at all for scouting, because it's roughly 98% luck and team situation. One might have a good draft or a bad draft in years-later hindsight, sure. I wonder how many picks the Red Wings flubbed in 1998 and 1999 and the years immediately surrounding. Nobody's going back and saying "Boy they really had some shit 2nd round picks the years they drafted Datsyuk and Zetterberg."

Or in other words, nobody can actually see the future but we talk about scouting like scouts/GMs should be able to.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

To be fair, 2014 was a disaster for most teams in the league. That draft sucked. There were maybe a dozen players at best that came out of that draft as really good players and only one per round after the first.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ryan Strome from NYR might not get qualified. He would be a decent 2C. If we cannot get Cirelli that is.
Every time someone suggests one of the Stromes to solve our #2C problems I die a little more inside. Those two are entirely the product of their star wingers (Kane for Dylan, Panarin for Ryan); they're not much better than Wennberg/Jenner without. I'd consider him, but only at a steep discount.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm not advocating trading for Tyler Johnson by any ways... But, Darren Dreger just reported that Tyler Johnson has given Tampa Bay a list of several teams to work with in regards to a trade destination. There was no mention as to what teams that he would "OK" a trade to. But, I imagine the asking price would be pretty cheap for him. Tampa is just looking to clear cap space.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I’d think Johnson knows the team pretty well after the past couple of years. Whether that increases our chances of being on his “list” or not, I have no idea.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I can understand not wanting to throw $$ away paying someone not to play but short of some kind of trade with retention the buyout of Wennberg given the scenario with his age/extra savings/flat cap is a no brainer.

Just a shame his game fell off a cliff after his breakout year in 16/17. That version of Wennberg paired with Dubois down the middle could have been a force.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
What we’re hearing: Blue Jackets juggling contracts, trades, buyouts, the draft
What we're hearing: Blue Jackets juggling contracts, trades, buyouts, the draft

Kekäläinen didn’t rule out accepting a one-year arbitration ruling on Anderson and “keeping him for one more year.”
“At least we’d have a contract in place, and he’ll play for us (next season),” Kekäläinen said. “If we can’t get an extension done, then we could rent him to ourselves until (the 2020-21) trade deadline.”
No matter what, Anderson’s contract talks with the Blue Jackets won’t go on and on as they did three summers ago, forcing him to miss all of training camp. He signed a deal on the eve of the 2017-18 season.
I’m not sure why Jarmo continues this “self rental” talk, accepting the one year arbitration would be the dumbest thing he could do.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Columbus has not had a first-round pick in two of the past three drafts. With Kekäläinen hoping to make major upgrades this offseason, this year’s first-round pick — No. 21 overall — has been seen as a possible trade piece, too.
It still could be. But Kekäläinen vowed that director of amateur scouting Ville Sirén and his staff won’t be left out of the fun on Tuesday.
“We’re not going to be without a first-round pick,” Kekäläinen said. “I can say it with 99.9 percent confidence that we’re going to have at least one first-round pick.”

What we're hearing: Blue Jackets juggling contracts, trades, buyouts, the draft

Reactions: Toe Pick

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Anderson and Gavrikov for 18OA + McLeod?

If Gavrikov is a non-starter, what's the deal with Gabriel Carlsson?

For background, Devils fans have been eyeing a "two birds with one stone" type deal with our excess 1st round picks. Killorn + Cernak was agreed upon, but it's now being reported that TB will likely hang onto Cernak. Fleury + Niederreiter was another thought, but Canes fans have shifted (hard) to moving Bean over Fleury.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Friendly Florida fan here: what exactly happened with Wennberg? The narrative I heard was that he didn’t work with Tortz’s system...but what system worked for him? Do you know if Zito was close with him?

Also do we know if Columbus might spend to the cap? As a Florida fan; it looks like this would be one of the better landing spots for Hoff :)

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Friendly Florida fan here: what exactly happened with Wennberg? The narrative I heard was that he didn’t work with Tortz’s system...but what system worked for him? Do you know if Zito was close with him?

Also do we know if Columbus might spend to the cap? As a Florida fan; it looks like this would be one of the better landing spots for Hoff :)
Wennberg was fine until he took an elbow to the head from Tom Wilson (uncalled of course) in the playoffs 3 years ago and he suffered pretty major concussion issues. He hasn’t been the same since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad