Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Wennberg was fine until he took an elbow to the head from Tom Wilson (uncalled of course) in the playoffs 3 years ago and he suffered pretty major concussion issues. He hasn’t been the same since.

Pretty much this. An almost exclusive perimeter player with a sound defensive game.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Also do we know if Columbus might spend to the cap? As a Florida fan; it looks like this would be one of the better landing spots for Hoff :)

We have cap space. Some will be used internally but there has been no public indication that ownership has tightened the purse strings. I suspect we might be able to benefit from some teams needing to clear cap space after Wennberg gets bought out.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
Wennberg is an outstanding player. His defense should be Selke consideration worthy. He has elite vision, hands and feet. Alex is the best puck handler on the Jackets. He is the best board player on a team that emphasizes the low cycle. He goes to dirty areas and has shown to be tough given short times off the ice after spitting chicklets or getting hit in the head with a shot. He also is very willing to block shots. Although the Wilson hit certainly caused a hesitancy in his game two seasons ago he had season long nagging injuries which he played through. I will freely admit that last season was a poor one but almost entirely based on his point total. He still did all the things mentioned above that many times don't show up on the scoresheet. This last season was better in the scoring marginally, but I would allege that his wingman production (Atkinson, Foligno and Bemstrom) definitely factored in that as did a lack of service when he was standing in the slot or in front of the crease. I know I'm in the distinct minority around here but I believe the biggest problem Wennberg has is Jarmo's overly optimistic contact offer. If he scored 5 more goals this season or made 1M less this discussion would be moot. I hope we don't trade or buy him out but if we do prepare for another round of Karlsson level b!tching in these parts

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Wennberg is an outstanding player. His defense should be Selke consideration worthy. He has elite vision, hands and feet. Alex is the best puck handler on the Jackets. He is the best board player on a team that emphasizes the low cycle. He goes to dirty areas and has shown to be tough given short times off the ice after spitting chicklets or getting hit in the head with a shot. He also is very willing to block shots. Although the Wilson hit certainly caused a hesitancy in his game two seasons ago he had season long nagging injuries which he played through. I will freely admit that last season was a poor one but almost entirely based on his point total. He still did all the things mentioned above that many times don't show up on the scoresheet. This last season was better in the scoring marginally, but I would allege that his wingman production (Atkinson, Foligno and Bemstrom) definitely factored in that as did a lack of service when he was standing in the slot or in front of the crease. I know I'm in the distinct minority around here but I believe the biggest problem Wennberg has is Jarmo's overly optimistic contact offer. If he scored 5 more goals this season or made 1M less this discussion would be moot. I hope we don't trade or buy him out but if we do prepare for another round of Karlsson level b!tching in these parts
upload_2020-10-6_12-58-17.gif

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Anderson and Gavrikov for 18OA + McLeod?

If Gavrikov is a non-starter, what's the deal with Gabriel Carlsson?

For background, Devils fans have been eyeing a "two birds with one stone" type deal with our excess 1st round picks. Killorn + Cernak was agreed upon, but it's now being reported that TB will likely hang onto Cernak. Fleury + Niederreiter was another thought, but Canes fans have shifted (hard) to moving Bean over Fleury.
Savard + for 18? Carlsson is fine but hasn’t showed anything at the NHL level since the playoffs his rookie year. Apparently he played well for the Monsters this year though.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
His defense is not Selke caliber, stop trying to make people believe this. He has NEVER even received a Selke Vote.

Foligno 2x, Johansen, Saad, Dubinsky 2x, all have as Jackets.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I actually agree with this premise to an extent. Wennberg has basically turned into Sami Pahlsson. But we're paying him to be a high end #2c, rather than a purely defensive #3C. If that was all we expected of his role, and he was paid as such, we would think of him much differently.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Some people were essentially NEVER fans of Wennberg’s game and did not get caught up in the hype of the power play/secondary assist-heavy year.

He is what he always was. Jarmo made multiple BAD decisions regarding Wennberg. The contract and essentially choosing him over better players. We’d even be better off with Anisimov now and in the past, and I said that THEN.

The worst part about it all (whether there was input from Jarmo or not) was the ice time and opportunities that was handed him that would have been BETTER for the team with somebody else in that same position.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wennberg has basically turned into Sami Pahlsson. If that was all we expected of his role, and he was paid as such, we would think of him much differently.

I get what you are saying, but, Sami Pahlsson won faceoffs and played a HEAVY defensive game in the dirty areas much longer in his career than Wennberg did.

Comparing him to Pahlsson is just as bad as the earlier comparisons to Kurri and Oates that people loved to throw out there.

Wennberg would be acceptable to me at around a $1.5-2 mil cap hit. To me, he’s a 3rd-4th line winger.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
A tad disappointed there hasn’t been any significant moves in the entire league. The draft is 5 hours away

this happens every year, first it’s “there will be tons of movement at the draft”

then..

“wait until free agency starts then you’ll see it pick up”

then....

“wait until training camp when things start to shake out and you’ll see guys move”

then...

“these are moves that are really better at the trade deadline”

then you see actual moves at the TDL, that’s really the only time trades happen in the NHL.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
the huh??? a) no, b) they play for 2 separate teams, c) just no...the guy that became a shutout machine, the defenseman that really came on and helped with that...brutal...

1 down, 1/2 more to go.

This “shutout machine” plays very bad more than he plays very good.

Gavrikov, while good, is not the “x-factor” or “glue” on the back end. We were very good defensively before him.

What do people think should be accepted from CGYs point of view for Johnny G, Gavrikov or Merzlikins straight up?

I hope Jarmo offers both and they get talking to Gaudreau about an extension sooner rather than later. Then if it’s Panarin 2.0, deal him to another team with a year left for more offensive help.

Reactions: Toe Pick

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
1 down, 1/2 more to go.

This “shutout machine” plays very bad more than he plays very good.

Gavrikov, while good, is not the “x-factor” or “glue” on the back end. We were very good defensively before him.

What do people think should be accepted from CGYs point of view for Johnny G, Gavrikov or Merzlikins straight up?

I hope Jarmo offers both and they get talking to Gaudreau about an extension sooner rather than later. Then if it’s Panarin 2.0, deal him to another team with a year left for more offensive help.
We never had a truly established top 4 before Gavrikov. Murray kept getting injured and we were juggling Kukan, Harrington, Nutivaara, etc

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Pretty much this. An almost exclusive perimeter player with a sound defensive game.
Gotchya: almost a Barkov lite in the sense that he plays smart, is money on defense but is frustrating for not being physical enough?

Thanks for the great responses and feedback guys: some of our media guys think that we’ll sign him if he is bought out :)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So, here's a shot at lines after this trade presuming no other moves:

Texier-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Domi-Atkinson
Nyquist-Jenner-Bemstrom
Foudy-Grigorenko-Nash
Robinson, Gerbe

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara
Kukan, Harrington

The Goalies

I explicitly paired Foligno with Domi because Domi's most notable issue is defense, and Foligno is our best defensive forward. It's a patch attempt, essentially.

Texier and Foudy can hop over to C positions as opportunities and skill dictate. Jenner's just fine on the wing, after all.

Reactions: Bookker and Monk

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I am still hoping for one more big move from Jarmo before we actually have to use our draft pick on a guy who might be of some value in 2023.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad