Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
There will always be injuries, but when Patrick and Lindblom get back we will be absolutely loaded.

and we need them. Metro is going to be tough for years to come still. While the devils had a bad year, they are still loaded with young talent. They also will have another 3 first round picks and a chance to get one of holtz, perfetti, raymon, rossi, drysdale. Top that with ty smith, hughes, hischier, blackwood..

rangers have 2 picks and an insane team now. panarin, zibanejad, kakko and they have kravstov, k'andre miller, lundqvist (stud), shesteryokin.

canes are going to be better with their young players.

pens are pens
caps are caps

we need guys like patrick, lindblom, farabee, frost, york, brink, and zamula to really develop to offset the opposing metro talent coming in. Getting patrick and lindblom back would be like getting two 1st rounders for free.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
i think it has to do with "ride the hot hand" with coaches more so than luck..both are infuriating
Well they were certainly riding the lucky - not hot - hand when they kept in that unbelievably lucky turd Hagg, who somehow played horrific but couldn’t get scored on. Dude had a PDO of 200 while looking like a newborn deer.

Reactions: flyersNducks

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
and we need them. Metro is going to be tough for years to come still. While the devils had a bad year, they are still loaded with young talent. They also will have another 3 first round picks and a chance to get one of holtz, perfetti, raymon, rossi, drysdale. Top that with ty smith, hughes, hischier, blackwood..

rangers have 2 picks and an insane team now. panarin, zibanejad, kakko and they have kravstov, k'andre miller, lundqvist (stud), shesteryokin.

canes are going to be better with their young players.

pens are pens
caps are caps

we need guys like patrick, lindblom, farabee, frost, york, brink, and zamula to really develop to offset the opposing metro talent coming in. Getting patrick and lindblom back would be like getting two 1st rounders for free.

Certainly is tough. I think the devils are some years away still. Rangers and canes scare me if they continue to build. I think the caps will no start their decline. Pens are going to continue. I don’t know that we could reasonably hope for a more talented team than the one we would have when healthy so that’s good news! I also think Hart will be one of the best if not the jest goalie out there so he alone will help a lot.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
With things finalized, I am curious to know if Patrick is back in Philly yet. Got great news with Oskar and now it’s on Patrick and we could have a compete roster at some point next year. Maybe to start the year if it’s delayed enough. Patrick progressing through the pause will be a big step towards that.

Reactions: Tripod

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Certainly is tough. I think the devils are some years away still. Rangers and canes scare me if they continue to build. I think the caps will no start their decline. Pens are going to continue. I don’t know that we could reasonably hope for a more talented team than the one we would have when healthy so that’s good news! I also think Hart will be one of the best if not the jest goalie out there so he alone will help a lot.

ya the rangers are just getting loaded. They have some really talented forward prospects and d prospects (along with their goalie one). Canes getting trocheck hurts. Necas and trocheck will make them better. I actually think the devils can get back quicker a la rangers. Pens getting guentzel and zucker sucks. However, I am the most confident I have been in our team since 2010 and 2012. Patrick, lindblom, a better ghost, hart/frost/farabee improving..along with reinforcements from york/zamula.

For me I would rank these in terms of biggest challenge:

pens, rangers, canes, caps, devils, cbj/isles.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
ya the rangers are just getting loaded. They have some really talented forward prospects and d prospects (along with their goalie one). Canes getting trocheck hurts. Necas and trocheck will make them better. I actually think the devils can get back quicker a la rangers. Pens getting guentzel and zucker sucks. However, I am the most confident I have been in our team since 2010 and 2012. Patrick, lindblom, a better ghost, hart/frost/farabee improving..along with reinforcements from york/zamula.

Their forward prospects don't impress me all that much. Especially if Kravtsov doesn't hit.

Their D prospects along with Shesterkin are concerning though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Their forward prospects don't impress me all that much. Especially if Kravtsov doesn't hit.

It's interesting to see the NYR and Russian posters in the prospects thread turning on Kravstov and his "attitude".

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

idk why I was considering kakko in it haha. Kakko is barely getting going. I love ziba too. They will have a solid top 6 for a while

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

canes have done a very good job. I think the pens have a lot of track left as well.

I think the rangers have a lot of first rounders coming up right?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
canes have done a very good job.
Their forward lineup doesn't impress me and they still haven't solved their goalie situation. Brind'Amour seems to be a pretty good motivator though. I think he's the real difference maker on that team.

But coaches don't matter, or so I've heard.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
But coaches don't matter, or so I've heard.
I heard someone talking about the impact of coaches in professional soccer recently that put it succinctly enough. Most really good coaches can give you about a 10% boost in results while bad coaches can drag you down by up to 30%.

Obviously there are outliers like Alex Ferguson or Scotty Bowman on the top end, but that 0-10% boost matters. It's not enough that your team performs at expected value; if a coach can find something to motivate the club to produce above the sum of its parts, then you're moving in the right direction.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I heard someone talking about the impact of coaches in professional soccer recently that put it succinctly enough. Most really good coaches can give you about a 10% boost in results while bad coaches can drag you down by up to 30%.

Obviously there are outliers like Alex Ferguson or Scotty Bowman on the top end, but that 0-10% boost matters. It's not enough that your team performs at expected value; if a coach can find something to motivate the club to produce above the sum of its parts, then you're moving in the right direction.

KJBR.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's exactly right. Coaches max positive impact is capped pretty low but they can do a massive amount to hurt a team.

The best you can really hope for is a coach who does his job and then stays out of the way. Implement a good system and then let your players do their jobs and execute, which is where the majority of the praise is deserved. Don't sabotage them and make things harder than it has to be with stupid lineup or usage decisions, which unfortunately is what so many coaches do.

A coach can't score a goal or make a defensive stop, but he can prevent the guys who do that most effectively from having the opportunity to do so.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
That's exactly right. Coaches max positive impact is capped pretty low but they can do a massive amount to hurt a team.

The best you can really hope for is a coach who does his job and then stays out of the way. Implement a good system and then let your players do their jobs and execute, which is where the majority of the praise is deserved. Don't sabotage them and make things harder than it has to be with stupid lineup or usage decisions, which unfortunately is what so many coaches do.

A coach can't score a goal or make a defensive stop, but he can prevent the guys who do that most effectively from having the opportunity to do so.

This is so painfully untrue. It's also obviously from this statement alone that you have never played any format of team competative sports.

It doesn't matter how many times you post this, it doesnt make it fact. It's straight up fake news.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I mean, look at Klopp and what he's accomplished in Liverpool. They wouldn't be the best team in England without him. Not even close.
Actually I think Klopp and Brind'Amour are very similar personality-wise.
Systems and knowledge are important of course, but being a good leader and knowing how to talk to your players and how to motivate them is what separates good coaches from great coaches. It's a very important aspect of coaching and team sports in general.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I mean, look at Klopp and what he's accomplished in Liverpool. They wouldn't be the best team in England without him. Not even close.
Actually I think Klopp and Brind'Amour are very similar personality-wise.
Systems and knowledge are important of course, but being a good leader and knowing how to talk to your players and how to motivate them is what separates good coaches from great coaches. It's a very important aspect of coaching and team sports in general.
Yeah, I think Klopp is in that upper echelon of coaches that are outliers. It's not just what he's done for Liverpool, but what he previously did at Dortmund (even Mainz, too, really), as well. Dude is a rockstar.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

I sense some ironing coming up.

Edit - too late

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Thought I was replying to the Miscellaneous NHL talk thread. :laugh:

Let's be fair, though. We're never getting a definitive update on NP. He'll be "feeling better" until he finally retires at age 55. :sarcasm:

And we will be posting here 30 years later saying “as long as he’s feeling better it’s good news”.

I saw Braun is coming back to philly today. Let’s hope we see Patrick back as well.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
There is a rumor going around that this is the specific issue he is dealing with.

https://www.eyeandear.org.au/page/P...pes_of_balance_disorders/Vestibular_migraine/

Makes a lotta sense as to the ambiguity of him playing again.

It was mentioned in a podcast, here's an article with a link to the podcast itself.

Morgan Frost’s Future Depends on the Fate of Nolan Patrick

Relevant excerpt;

“..so I know this is been a big thing in Flyers nation and stuff since I signed, but you know obviously I had that suspension for hitting Nolan Patrick. But this is how hockey guys are, this is how we are. On the first day of training camp we’re in the Flyers main team locker room, and I walked around the corner and there’s Nolan Patrick (who I never met in my life). I immediately go ‘Hey man. What’s up? How you doing?’ and then I said, “Hey, I totally didn’t mean to hit you like that man. I was so committed and I was so fired up. I am trying to stay up here, and there was a little turn at the last second…mostly my fault obviously”. And he goes, “Dude, it’s fine”. So I asked him, “Did it affect your head” or whatever, and he touches the back of his head and says, “No, I got a puck in the ear and like all different other stuff”.”

- Kurtis Gabriel

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad