Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Slightly different issue arguably.

Johns apparently had "post-traumatic headaches" vs a long standing migraine issue.

Are not really too many directly comparable cases in NHL... Bäckström has the same issue, but his was kind of ever present from day entered pro hockey but could "manage" them okay and has only missed a few games here and there due to them.

it’s like a game of whack a mole from my experience with my daughter.
Finding the right medicine and/or what foods to avoid. Sounds simple but it’s been over a year and we still haven’t nailed it down completely.
Even if he is feeling better and can practice at a high level consistently, the game is a different level with the bright lighting. Crowd noise shouldn’t be an issue obviously. Game action may not affect him at all or it could open another can of worms.
i hope the kid gets it figured out.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I hoped for a 60+ point C who was good defensively. Now, I regard him as a bonus if he plays.

I can’t base it on anything but I think that should be possible. But he’s had a lot of hits to his young career. If he can get healthy it’s going to depend on his resolve and opportunities. Plenty of players don’t get on the map until much older than Patrick. He’s got all the tools. 60 pts will be great if he’s a really good 2 way center.

Reactions: renberg

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Chronic migraines suck. As someone who suffers from them, I've been through just about every treatment imaginable. There's been diet changes, sleep pattern changes, various medications, acupuncture, environmental changes, hearing protection, various degrees of shaded lenses for my glasses, electrostimulation, cannabis extracts and various exercise routines to help with blood flow. It's been a 15 year struggle to keep them under control. I feel for Patrick because it's a task.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Chronic migraines suck. As someone who suffers from them, I've been through just about every treatment imaginable. There's been diet changes, sleep pattern changes, various medications, acupuncture, environmental changes, hearing protection, various degrees of shaded lenses for my glasses, electrostimulation, cannabis extracts and various exercise routines to help with blood flow. It's been a 15 year struggle to keep them under control. I feel for Patrick because it's a task.

And this is exactly why we all need to stop to pencil him in every lineup for this or next Season. And we really need to stop to say he will be a cornerstone for this Franchise. I would love to have him. But at this Stage every game from him is a Bonus to us. So pls all of us be a little realistic and and stop sing we dont need a 3rd line center, cause we have Patrick. If he is healthy he will be a 3rd or 2nd line Center. But that if is huuuuugggge!

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
And this is exactly why we all need to stop to pencil him in every lineup for this or next Season. And we really need to stop to say he will be a cornerstone for this Franchise. I would love to have him. But at this Stage every game from him is a Bonus to us. So pls all of us be a little realistic and and stop sing we dont need a 3rd line center, cause we have Patrick. If he is healthy he will be a 3rd or 2nd line Center. But that if is huuuuugggge!

True but they have a 3rd line center in Frost so Patrick, like Lindblom, is in the very nice to have but not back breaking if not available category. If you check out the next season depth chart it is still pretty good without the IR guys:

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - Konecny
JVR - Frost - NAK
Laughton - Bunnaman/Laczynski - Raffl
Sandin, Rubtsov, Allison… (Patrick, Lindblom)

Provorov – Niskanen
Sanheim – Myers
Gost – Friedman/Hagg
Morin (cheap 8th if healthy)
Zamula, Hogberg, Wylie

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
True but they have a 3rd line center in Frost so Patrick, like Lindblom, is in the very nice to have but not back breaking if not available category. If you check out the next season depth chart it is still pretty good without the IR guys:

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - Konecny
JVR - Frost - NAK
Laughton - Bunnaman/Laczynski - Raffl
Sandin, Rubtsov, Allison… (Patrick, Lindblom)

Provorov – Niskanen
Sanheim – Myers
Gost – Friedman/Hagg
Morin (cheap 8th if healthy)
Zamula, Hogberg, Wylie

Raffl will be the 4LW, Sandin will battle Laczynski for 4RW
Laughton would probably be the 4C
So the "Black aces" would be Bunnaman, Allison, Rubtsov, Kase, Twarynski, Sushko, Ratcliffe

That's some scary depth without Patrick and Lindblom, if those two return Fletcher almost has to make a consolidation deal. And if Pitlick/Grant came back on a low cost deal (FA may be shaky next season).

And people are still complaining about Vorobyev going to Russia, uh, no room at the inn.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Raffl will be the 4LW, Sandin will battle Laczynski for 4RW
Laughton would probably be the 4C
So the "Black aces" would be Bunnaman, Allison, Rubtsov, Kase, Twarynski, Sushko, Ratcliffe

Laughton has always been better at wing but is fine as a fill in at C for a bit if needed. I don't see him holding the spot tho.

As for wingers there are a bunch for a few spots and we will see how it shakes out.

Laczynski is a creditable center tho and a righty which would be an asset on this team. I wouldn't discount that when there aren't nearly as many center options.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Why can't Connor Bunnaman be the 4th line center? He's young, has size, decent skater, knows his role and just goes out and does his job. Isn't that what you want from a 4th center? Why is Laughton projected into that role? And who knows if the Flyers decide to try to re-sign Derek Grant. It just doesn't have to be Laughton plugged into the role. As for Raffl, Laughton makes him expendable on the left side and if he's ready, Laczynski can replace him on the right. There's no need to keep Raffl around. And there's no need to look for a fourth line center when there are in house options.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Laughton has 1 more year left on his deal. Do you look to move him or resign him? What would you pay him in term and $$

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Why can't Connor Bunnaman be the 4th line center? He's young, has size, decent skater, knows his role and just goes out and does his job. Isn't that what you want from a 4th center? Why is Laughton projected into that role? And who knows if the Flyers decide to try to re-sign Derek Grant. It just doesn't have to be Laughton plugged into the role. As for Raffl, Laughton makes him expendable on the left side and if he's ready, Laczynski can replace him on the right. There's no need to keep Raffl around. And there's no need to look for a fourth line center when there are in house options.

Bunnaman is definitely an option there, along with Laughton and Laczynski. Rubtsov is more of a dark horse candidate as he has been inured so much but that could change if he stays healthy. I would definitely prefer those 4 fighting it out for the spot than signing an expensive vet, and considering the cap situation they may not be able to anyway.

The wingers kind of depends on how the center battle shakes out. Sandin is a good option on the right as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Because it might be the only spot for Laughton when we are healthy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Raffl played almost as much center this season as Laughton did.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
They could have a 4th line of all guys who can play center. That would be helpful on D zone draws.

Laughton - Bunnaman/Laczynski - Raffl/Laczynski

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Great post.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They could have a 4th line of all guys who can play center. That would be helpful on D zone draws.

Laughton - Bunnaman/Laczynski - Raffl/Laczynski

This is why they were probably happy to "swap out" Vorobyev for Sandin.
RW is actually weaker than center, Pitlick/NAK/Sandin are 4th line candidates, but all three ??? as 3RWs
Laczynski and Allison are still unknowns.

Since Sandin can play both LW and RW, and is a top forechecker, he provides more flexibility than Voroybev.
And his SHL performance is at least equal to or better than Vorobyev in the AHL.

The fact the Flyers go this deep without Lindblom & Patrick is amazing, given the bottom six crap we've had to tolerate since 2010-11. Ranked by ES TOI
2011-12: Read #10, Couts, Rinaldo, Zolnierczyk/Wellwood/Shelley
2012-13: Talbot #10, McGinn, Fedontenko, Knuble/Rinaldo
2013-14: Downie #9, Raffl, Rinaldo, Hall, Talbot/McGinn/Rosehill
2014-15: Umberger #8, Vinnie, Laughton/White, PEB, VdV, Rinaldo, Akeson/Cousins
2015-16: Gagner #8, VdV, PEB, White, Laughton, Cousins/Umberger
2016-17: Read #9, Weise, Cousins, PEB, VdV, Luby/Weal/Leier/Gordon [after Filppula was added]
2017-18: Weal #9, Weise/Lindblom, Laughton, Lehtera, Leier
2018-19: Simmonds/Hartman #9, Lindblom, Raffl, Weise/Knight, Varone, Lehtera,
2019-20: Raffl #9, Pitlick, NAK, Frost/Bunnaman/Voroybev, Grant/Thompson, Andreoff/Stewart/Twarynski
Flyers had good depth until Patrick and Lindblom go down

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Problem is Laughton is a better LW than he is a C.

While true, if Oskar is back we wont have a LW spot for Laughton so moving him to 4C where there is a hole makes sense.

Would you rather have 4th line combos of..

Raffl-Laughton

or

Laughton-Bunnaman

Then again you could use Raffl as 4C.

Or maybe our bottom 6 centers are Patrick and Frost and whichever line is playing better gets more ice time on that specific night.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If Laughton's on the 4th line, I would try Raffl at center and Laughton as LW. Raffl's been surprisingly good at center and Laughton has been a really good LW this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad