Movies: 2 Mission Impossible Sequels Announced for Summers of 2021 & 2022

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Was hard to make time for this, Oppenheimer, and Barbie. I went with my parents who I think haven't seen a Mission Impossible since the third (if that) and my brother. Kind of soured the experience for me. My dad could not stop bitching about how unrealistic some of the sequences were (of course he scoffs anytime he sees a woman fighting in an action movie) and how cheesy a lot of the dialogue was. That's on me. He's expecting the Craig era of Bond and this is a different meal. Was surprised that my brother concurred with the criticisms given he's the one insisting we go to every MCU movie, whether it's one I want to see or not.

I thought it was great. Really enjoyable action flick. All of the action sequences were really well done. Atwell added a great dynamic to the main cast.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I saw it with my dad this past week, as well, and we both really enjoyed it. The dialogue was a little bad in spots (mostly just Rhames' and Pegg's dialogue) and some of the action looked a little more CGIed than I was hoping for, but it was still a lot of fun and went by quickly. I agree that Atwell was a great addition and the way that it ended has me looking forward to the second part.

Last edited:
Reactions: HanSolo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So this really didn't do as well as expected correct? Might actually be a loss.
It's made about 2/3rds of what Fallout did while costing over 50% more. Yeah, it's going to lose lots of money. The cost overrun is easy to figure out, since that's undoubtedly due to COVID. According to IMDb, it was filmed between Sep '20 and Sep '21, at the height of COVID and work stoppages. The underperforming could've been a combination of being released only 12 days after Indy and 9 days before Barbenheimer, and it being only the first of two parts. We may never know, but we know that it wasn't due to the reviews.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I could see them rebooting this franchise at some point.

And 70 year old Cruise can play Jim Phelps.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Dead Reckoning Part 2 delayed until May 23, 2025

I watched part 1 on Monday and quite liked it. I'd probably put it in the middle of a ranking of the M:I movies.

I hope Shea Whigham's character returns and gets a real character arc in Part 2, it seemed like there was a backstory lingering there that never came to the surface but I still enjoyed his performance and character and hair. You'd think more people in this universe would be constantly trying to see if that's a mask being worn.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Was hard to make time for this, Oppenheimer, and Barbie. I went with my parents who I think haven't seen a Mission Impossible since the third (if that) and my brother. Kind of soured the experience for me. My dad could not stop bitching about how unrealistic some of the sequences were (of course he scoffs anytime he sees a woman fighting in an action movie) and how cheesy a lot of the dialogue was. That's on me. He's expecting the Craig era of Bond and this is a different meal. Was surprised that my brother concurred with the criticisms given he's the one insisting we go to every MCU movie, whether it's one I want to see or not.

I thought it was great. Really enjoyable action flick. All of the action sequences were really well done. Atwell added a great dynamic to the main cast.

I like your Dad. Can he post here please.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Perhaps the delay is for the best. Part One underperformed and it's possible that the apathy would've carried over and people's would've thought "Again? Wasn't there one just last year?" This also gives people an extra year to watch Part One, which could make a difference because they won't go to see the second part if they haven't seen the first. Additionally, 2025 could be a rather lean Summer for big movies because I imagine that many would be in the writing stage right now, if not for the strike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad