Movies: 2 Mission Impossible Sequels Announced for Summers of 2021 & 2022

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

That's what I like to see... actual action set pieces and stunt scenes, especially the kind that you have only one take to get right. Disney would've just used a CGI train and it would've been horrible. I think that this is one of the reasons why I've grown to appreciate the M:I franchise. It's resisted the trend toward CGIing everything that most other franchises have embraced (which is ironic because it started out as a franchise that embraced CGI for its impressive unmasking scenes).

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I'm assuming it will be extra footage not used in the first five (six? seven?) or whatever and just spliced together.

My Best-Carey

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They should milk this franchise as fast as possible. Cruise will be 60 years old in 2022.
There is almost a 100% chance they will either:

a) recast Ethan Hunt like they do with James Bond
b) introduce another character to takeover for Hunt in Cruise's last MI movie

More likely b).

There's a decent chance Cruise will stay involved as producer beyond his starring roles in the movies, and also a decent chance he plays some "supervisor" character at some point.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Interesting twitter thread and article about the filming issues and cost overruns on these films

Filming was supposed to start the same time restrictions were going in place in Italy, with their initial shoot planned for Venice.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What exactly would be sequel?

Aliens were defeated at end ,, To bring on more aliens in another invasion would be potentially terrible movie ala Independence Day 2
ID4-2 was terrible, but that doesn't mean an Edge of Tomorrow sequel would be.

edit - oops, didn't realize this was a 2 year old post haha.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holy smokes, I totally forgot about this series. 'Til this very day, I still remember how absolutely brutal and awful MI: 2 was lol. Whereas, I thought MI: 3 is still the most underrated.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Love the Esai Morales casting as the villain. He was awesome as Deathstroke in DC Titans.

Yeah I was hoping to see him do more after Titans, good for him.

Although I think these last two films are it for Cruise in traditional A-list action roles- even with all the work he's had done you can see the age really starting to creep in. Nothing saying he can't transition into more of the kind of films that Neeson does, but the days of him dyeing everything and playing 20 years younger are over.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I marked out when I heard Kittridge's voice. Crazy to think I was in still in high school when MI1 was released. If you had told me that the franchise would have still been going after MI2, I would have been shocked.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Really hope Jeremy Renner's 'William Brandt' comes back for this one or the final one, even if it's just a cameo. Need that Ghost Protocol & Rogue Nation team back.

I know they wanted him to come back for a cameo that would've involved him sacrificing himself for the team on Fallout but he declined cause he didn't want his character to die yet or something. Wasn't able to join them cause his schedule was full with Marvel stuff.

Anyways, the teaser looks awesome, so excited for these movies ever since Ghost Protocol.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
What's the general opinion on Mission Impossible vs James Bond films recently? Not sure if it's a controversial one, but my opinion -- MI is better if you're comparing it against the Craig era of Bond films. Just a more entertaining and fun movie experience.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What's the general opinion on Mission Impossible vs James Bond films recently? Not sure if it's a controversial one, but my opinion -- MI is better if you're comparing it against the Craig era of Bond films. Just a more entertaining and fun movie experience.

I'm not a fan of the Craig era of Bond films. He has no charisma and the films are exhaustingly serious. The MI films, at least from the last decade, have been more enjoyable and fun like Bond films should be, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad