Movies: 2 Mission Impossible Sequels Announced for Summers of 2021 & 2022

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Mission: Impossible – Fallout was almost perfect. Cant imagine, they push the level even higher.
I've liked mostly the M:I films but I can't remember anything about the last one. :laugh: Which I guess works as a credit for a "pop corn blockbuster" though I haven't seen any of them in a theater.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

99% Fresh after 149 reviews!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I want to get excited, but the two rotten reviews worry me. I think that I'll wait and see if it reaches 100% before buying tickets. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll see this one in the theatre. I like the franchise a lot, especially 1 and 4. I'm disappointed that the franchise stopped changing directors every time and settled into a more generic summer popcorn franchise, but at least it does that quite well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Btw. Did he run again? Because Ethan Hunt runs in every episode.
Have you not watched the trailer? He runs non-stop in it. Even in the dialogue scenes in which you see only his face, he's actually on a treadmill at the highest setting.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This movie will kill it at the box office, probably the biggest hyped movie for me in a long time. I think this will movie will show that even though CGI is accessible, it should be used in fairly minor roles in movies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The New York premiere is going on right now and I just watched a YouTuber who was invited and streaming live. She said that Cruise and McQuarrie got there about three hours early, long before any of the other stars, in order to talk with and sign autographs for all of the invitees. She said that Cruise recognized her and told her that he watched one of her videos while he was filming Part Two in Africa, and that McQuarrie spent five minutes recommending movies to her. Both sound like such friendly, unassuming people.

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Man…can’t wait to watch this.

Seen the last 3 countless times they are so much fun.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Watched it today and liked it quite a lot.
I have one question about the end, in spoilers of course
Just before the ending credits, there's an audio of the mission brief. I think it's a part that was not heard at the beginning of the film, but I'm not sure, and I cant tell if the voice was the same. It also seemed to give more information to Hunt. So did he get two mission briefings from two different people, or am I reaching here?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Saw it today. Solid movie but feel like it was the weakest compared to 4, 5, and 6. But understandably so as this was mostly story building for Part 2.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Watched it today and liked it quite a lot.
I have one question about the end, in spoilers of course
Just before the ending credits, there's an audio of the mission brief. I think it's a part that was not heard at the beginning of the film, but I'm not sure, and I cant tell if the voice was the same. It also seemed to give more information to Hunt. So did he get two mission briefings from two different people, or am I reaching here?
Both were Kittrich, seems like the second was also a briefing, even though it was telling Hunt what he already knows - so maybe it is more for the viewer?
What a fantastic flick. The car chase scene is dynamite. Interesting that the film spends a lot of time discussing the role of the female characters in service to Ethan Hunt. Almost as if they're trying a course correction of sorts with the franchise. Wondering what Gabriel's role in the second film will be - is he used up as a plot device now?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Man…can’t wait to watch this.

Seen the last 3 countless times they are so much fun.

That was my main criticism of this movie. I think Part 2 will be hype, but because this had so much exposition (a lot of scenes with just talking and explaining the plot), it loses its rewatchability factor IMO.

Still a solid movie, but I'd rank them as 6 > 5 > 4 > 7.
I'm in the same boat of rewatching 4, 5, 6 a number of times whenever they're on TV.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The same old vanity project but with at least one great action set piece.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
From 3 onwards they are all interchangeable and very generic action movies. Fine for what they are, but nothing special. Kind of like the Bourne movies which for the most part all seemed the same.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
From 3 onwards they are all interchangeable and very generic action movies. Fine for what they are, but nothing special. Kind of like the Bourne movies which for the most part all seemed the same.

I think the first 3 Bourne movies are great, after that they turn into generic shit. MI is the opposite, in the first films they are still looking for what they want to be, and that is discovered in later films.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This movie is utterly amazing.
Is this the best Mission Impossible? No, I do not think so, but it is the most fun I had of any of the MI films by far.

I can't wait to watch Part II where its elements tie into the start of Skynet and Terminator. Now that will be quite the connection lol!

It does suffer from some MI plot tropes where things somehow "perfectly happen." Some of these include the indestructible Fiat 500, the hang glider where the bodyguard is about to shoot her and out of the entire sequence of train cars, he just so happens to land right at the most perfect time, and all the characters somehow run or find each other without any sort of GPS or idea of where they currently are (especially in a city as confusing as Venice is). I also hated how they used subtitles in this movie for scenes, but the Russian submarine opening cinematics is all spoken in English. I was very confused about this.

But the good absolutely outweighs the bad. The train scene is amazing, the car chase scene is amazing, and the mind games in the first half of this movie are just ridiculously good. I actually think they should've gone with the opening elements of the film and given us more "The Riddler" elements throughout, instead of reverting back to mindless action scenes, but those scenes are just so effin' awesome and all the characters are excellently cast. The performances are superb by everyone.

9.5/10 Easily. Everyone should see this film. This has to be one of the craziest films I have seen in a long-time, people will complain it is "too long" as one of the negatives, but I actually wanted more. I did not want this movie to end and honestly, it does not feel like a 2 hour and 43 minutes flick (definitely go to the bathroom before though). Trust me, it feels a lot shorter because of how much fun you will have.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Looks like a great movie and I am looking forward to seeing it probably next weekend. However, it's looking like yet another big budget summer blockbuster that may lose a significant amount of money...or at the every least will not break even. It dropped 65% in its second weekend (a far greater drop than the previous one) and only has accumulated $370 million in total ticket tales worldwide.

I realize there were 2 big budget movies opening this weekend, but one of those is not exactly Mission Impossible's target demographic. Plus for every summer of the past 20-30 years there are big budget movies being released nearly every weekend from May until August and many of those previous movies had better retention rates outside their opening weekend.

No reason this movie needed to cost $300 million to provide a thrilling movie experience.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Looks like a great movie and I am looking forward to seeing it probably next weekend. However, it's looking like yet another big budget summer blockbuster that may lose a significant amount of money...or at the every least will not break even. It dropped 65% in its second weekend (a far greater drop than the previous one) and only has accumulated $370 million in total ticket tales worldwide.

I realize there were 2 big budget movies opening this weekend, but one of those is not exactly Mission Impossible's target demographic. Plus for every summer of the past 20-30 years there are big budget movies being released nearly every weekend from May until August and many of those previous movies had better retention rates outside their opening weekend.

No reason this movie needed to cost $300 million to provide a thrilling movie experience.
I'm surprised by it. Granted, no M:I movie has ever grossed more than $800M, but the hype, the reviews (both critic and audience) and the word of mouth were all fantastic, practically on par with Top Gun: Maverick, which grossed $1.5B last Summer. Maverick probably benefited from repeat viewings, though, and I can see a lot of people seeing M:I7 once and then seeing Barbie or Oppenheimer instead of going back to M:I7 a second time. Being part one of two may also be contributing to keeping some people from going even once, but also twice.

As for the budget, I imagine that it got inflated by COVID. Rogue Nation cost $150M and Fallout $178M, so $200M was probably the target here, but shooting around the world and having to go slowly because of precautions and stopping and starting production probably ballooned that. Jussi posted an article about how it affected Indy 5, but while I think that wasteful spending on reshoots, cut scenes and CGI contributed more to that, I can see it being the #1 reason for MI:7 costing so much. If it cost $200M, it probably would've safely broken even. On the other hand, Paramount made so much on Top Gun: Maverick that they're certainly not hurting from this (unlike Disney, who desperately needed Indy 5 to make money) and they'll have a second chance with Part Two next Summer.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Finnaly saw also this last one. It was the very first thing, we did with my wife after we came back from Holiday in Italy. Kids sent to grandparents, luggage still unpacked...

But i have some questions, that bugs me for a while:
1. There was a scene, where Hunt remembers important women's in his life. But where was Julia Meade, his ex-wife?
2. Imagine this. You are in the night in the canter of a big city and someone wants to navigate you. And he screams "Go North!" How do you will find out, where is north?
3. BMW did a good job with advertising. Is there any BMW police car in Rome? Plus when Benji navigates Hunt to the amazing motorcycle jump, he simply push the button and the car drived with auto-pilot. How much did they paid for this?
4. Was there any action in a whole Mission Impossible franchise, that occurred in South America?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The best theme of the franchise continues in this movie: Hunt’s moral incorruptibility, and how that leads to him winning over enemies and turning them into allies.

Some might say it’s corny, but I love it. He’s a Hollywood hero in the most traditional sense of the word.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
7.5/10

You know what you're getting with these movies:

-Some cheesy dialogue with a much younger woman
-Him running for 10 minutes
-An epic car chase
-Pointless jumping off hills

An enjoyable unmemorable action film, he churns these out second nature at this point. I will add, he looks phenomnel for 61 (60 when filmed), could pass for 40.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad