Post-Game Talk: 2/26/13 - Minnesota 2 - Calgary 1 F/OT

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
rynryn , we are not the kings, they were a team on the rise for probably 3 years prior to last season. also many predicted the kings would have a good season , they had a ruff start and hardly scored but had a super finnish and had a stellar playoffs. (16-4!) the wild are hopefully on the rise but thats mainly passionate fans talking. ps quick was lights out which helped carry that team.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I think it was a good game overall. You must score with a higher percentage from the chances you're given but other than that, I though with such smart play they could've won any team. The PP looked good too; no, they didn't score but it looked pretty dangerous and the puck movement looked a lot better than before.

Still, gotta take those chances and bury them. Posts and crossbars don't count.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I was glad they were moving the puck more quickly on the pp, as well as their feet.

Granlund actually looked pretty good up there! I hope he sticks and maybe he will get a little more confidence.

The only aspect of the pp I was not to keen on was Spurgeon. His defense was terrible, his passing is still off, and he has a hard time holding in the puck. He does have a decent shot, but to me that's not enough to warrent getting some of the roles he seems to be privy to.

Billy Mays Here*

I've always been a Backs supporter. He may not be flashy or famous, but he's a steady presence that gives us a chance to win darn near every game. Backs has some bad games, but he never has that down right terrible game where he lets in everything like Harding does. It's weird seeing so many pucks bounce off his glove this year though, and not into it. I don't know if he's got arthritis in his hand or what because nearly every game there's always at least one or two shots that he fails to glove, and instead the puck just bounces off of it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Crazy how little credit Backstrom gets around here.

I don't get where I discredited Backstrom. I said he played well didn't I? I just said he didn't stand on his head, and that he didn't have to.

When it's said a goaltender stood on his head, it's implied he stole the game and the team in front of him may have won when they didn't deserve to. That simply wasn't the case last night. He played well, and made the tough save when it was needed though.

I'm just saying the pk was the reason they won, and from the quotes Russo got from the lockerroom, the players seem to feel the same way.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I don't get where I discredited Backstrom. I said he played well didn't I? I just said he didn't stand on his head, and that he didn't have to.

When it's said a goaltender stood on his head, it's implied he stole the game and the team in front of him may have won when they didn't deserve to. That simply wasn't the case last night. He played well, and made the tough save when it was needed though.

I'm just saying the pk was the reason they won, and from the quotes Russo got from the lockerroom, the players seem to feel the same way.

I don't think he was saying it to anybody in particular.

More like he is surprised that Backstrom gets no credit for any of the wins. It's always "Parise saved us" or "Zucker was awesome," stuff like that. People rarely mention Backs.

Personally, I've changed my stance on him lately. I would like to see him brought back for next season at $2-3 million a year. Max I'd say is $3.5 or somewhere around there. Kuemper + Backstrom could work very well next season.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I thought Spurgeon was fine on the PP. He just missed the one shot that hit Joey Mac in the legs and wasn't that the same shift where Spurge followed up the rebound and Mac snagged it with his back leg?

Also he specifically knocked down and kept in a puck that was not an easy keep and I did not see him lose any easy pucks on the blue line.

No he's not ideal...I'd love to have Ovechkin or Stamkos blasting home one-T's from the left circle. But we really don't have many right hand shots on the team. And it's been one game.

Although I'll say his 5-on-5 play has been pretty bad since he's come back from injury. I'm sure the haters will say that's how he always has been, but not to my eyes, and Russo mentioned it as well.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Backstrom has looked very good. Not brilliant but very good. Certainly has gotten better since the first couple weeks where he was shaky. And to the point I'd like to bring him back (under $3m per) the next couple years.

The team is very good on the PK but everywhere else is below average to terrible. Right now we're so keyed on offense because we have none. Desperately looking for someone to grab the reigns and start scoring.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I don't think he was saying it to anybody in particular.

More like he is surprised that Backstrom gets no credit for any of the wins. It's always "Parise saved us" or "Zucker was awesome," stuff like that. People rarely mention Backs.

Personally, I've changed my stance on him lately. I would like to see him brought back for next season at $2-3 million a year. Max I'd say is $3.5 or somewhere around there. Kuemper + Backstrom could work very well next season.

I'd re-sign Bäcks too with a salary like that barring there's no better goalies available / price. I just don't think he'd be willing to sign a year deal... but he's solid enough, IMO.

E: There's a young Finnish goalie named Joni Ortio. Played AHL a year (or two?) ago and Calgary owns his rights. They have pretty good goaltending coming and still have, so I think you could get him with a cheap price. He's been great in FEL this season.

E2: Dunno if it would be a good idea to have two young goalies at the same time, tho.

Last edited:

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I'd re-sign Bäcks too with a salary like that barring there's no better goalies available / price. I just don't think he'd be willing to sign a year deal... but he's solid enough, IMO.

E: There's a young Finnish goalie named Joni Ortio. Played AHL a year (or two?) ago and Calgary owns his rights. They have pretty good goaltending coming and still have, so I think you could get him with a cheap price. He's been great in FEL this season.

E2: Dunno if it would be a good idea to have two young goalies at the same time, tho.

The last thing the wild should trade for is a young goalie.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
rynryn , we are not the kings, they were a team on the rise for probably 3 years prior to last season. also many predicted the kings would have a good season , they had a ruff start and hardly scored but had a super finnish and had a stellar playoffs. (16-4!) the wild are hopefully on the rise but thats mainly passionate fans talking. ps quick was lights out which helped carry that team.

you asked. and some people are saying Backs is carrying the team. many people were predicting the Wild would do well this year. we had a rough start. You see any parallels?

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

From what I've read, and seen, Ortio is very much in Calgary's future plans, 2-3 years down the road but very much in the plans. He is progressing very well, and he is said to read the play and move very similar to Kiprusoff. Ramo is definitely the guy this season and next but once Kipper retires or signs elsewhere, it is believed Ortio will take the spot as either the Flames back-up or hopefully to share the job with Ramo. I would think that two Finnish goaltenders would get along very well in a tandem, just like when Kipper and Toskala were the duo a few years back. I think a more likely option when looking at goaltending depth for cheap would be Irving, I think he will progress into a top level goaltending talent, but the Flames are developing him extremely poorly.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
From what I've read, and seen, Ortio is very much in Calgary's future plans, 2-3 years down the road but very much in the plans. He is progressing very well, and he is said to read the play and move very similar to Kiprusoff. Ramo is definitely the guy this season and next but once Kipper retires or signs elsewhere, it is believed Ortio will take the spot as either the Flames back-up or hopefully to share the job with Ramo. I would think that two Finnish goaltenders would get along very well in a tandem, just like when Kipper and Toskala were the duo a few years back. I think a more likely option when looking at goaltending depth for cheap would be Irving, I think he will progress into a top level goaltending talent, but the Flames are developing him extremely poorly.

They actually had the same coach in Turku ;)

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
No suspension.

Rookie Charlie Coyle will not be suspended by the NHL for his “elbowing” major on Matt Stajan in last night’s 2-1 overtime victory over Calgary, sources say.

Some were saying on Twitter last night that the check was a perfect example of Rule 48 – Illegal Check to the Head. But as is explicitly written in Rule 48 (a rule that some hockey writers have trouble grasping despite its adoption two years ago), the head must be BOTH targeted AND the principal point of contact.

According to the video, the principal point of contact in this case appeared to be Coyle’s shoulder to Stajan’s upper chest. While there is significant contact to Stajan’s chin after the fact, Coyle doesn’t go out of his way to hit the head and makes a full body check – two criteria the league uses when determining discipline.

While the hit may have been late, that alone is not grounds for suspension.

So I guess...

pitbull-bud-light-o.gif

?

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Good news.

Still good to see the league called Coyle though.

I think it has at least a little bit to do with Stajan not being injured, which I've never agreed with but what can ya do. I do think though, that this should have been a suspension just for the ITI portion of it, not that I think that Coyle is a dirty player, just that the elbow was reckless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad