Post-Game Talk: 2/26/13 - Minnesota 2 - Calgary 1 F/OT

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Just got back from the game tonight. I must say, it was probably the 2nd best I've been to all season (Chicago first, then tonight, 3-2 over Columbus, 1-0 over Dallas, and the 3-1 loss to the Preds).

It was weird though, as most of the game fans seemed pretty upset but the finish was basically what left everyone walking out on a massive high. It was like being a little kid and having someone steal your trick-or-treat candy and then landing in a real life version of Candyland the game.

I have to go back and watch the game on DVR, but from my friends texting me, they said the Parise chopped off goal, that we all were right there to and able to see and thought went in, didn't and it was a good call by the refs.

After that moment, you could feel the stands deflate. That goal goes in and I think the Wild win by 2 more goals. After that goal was not given I knew it would be a rough go of it the rest of the game, and it was to be honest.

The Minnesota/IU result got people going, and then it died off again, aside from some amazing penalty killing by the team that brought on some big cheers.

Right when I turned to my friend and said "It sucks that your last game this year might be a 1-0 loss" the Wild put it in and it's gone from defeat to absolute bedlam.

Then the game winner and the night was amazing. It's those moments that make sports especially live worth going to.

I thought Backs was solid, and made the big stops he had to in order to keep them in it, and the Wild ground out this win.

I wasn't that impressed with Calgary live, but every time I see Parise it's like watching him skate for the first time. I've heard people on KFAN and other networks saying when he plays each game he skates as if it's his last and always goes balls to the wall, and every game I see him he does exactly that.

I absolutely love watching him live, maybe one of my all time favorites.

4-1 for me this season...can't wait for the bazillion games I go to in March.

I look forward to reading the other threads to get some takes on the game and the Coyle call (I've heard some debate already).

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He makes contact with the head and chest at the same time, but you can definitely tell he was looking to hit him in the head. It's not so much the hit itself that pisses me off, it's the fact that the puck was long gone when he hit him. Can't even classify that as finishing your check. He went way out of his way to hit Stajan.

Who cares? We need plays like that and players who answer the call.

We won the game, and it's because we were more aggressive in the 3rd. **** happens. I always cheer when a player of my team hits someone. Don't you?

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Who cares? We need plays like that and players who answer the call.

We won the game, and it's because we were more aggressive in the 3rd. **** happens. I always cheer when a player of my team hits someone. Don't you?

I like Coyle for being aggressive. Especially when they were getting away with some stuff, but you can never cheer a dirty hit. Although, I don't think Coyle hit Stajan particularly hard or even that high or with that much intent at all, but....

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Horrible game to watch. I quit watching with 8 mins to go in second period. Turned it back on with 12 mins to go, I hadn't missed anything. Still no goals and one nice play bails them out. Even when this team is winning its still been unwatchable hockey. They haven't deserved most of their wins. They need to pick it up big time. Some shifts have passion, most are going through the motions. Parise is a man among boys in this league. I think without him, we would be dead last in nhl with the team's play thus far. This team has made me so negative lately because my expectations were extraordinarily high coming into this season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Overall, I'd say this was a good game by Suter and Backstrom.

Spurgeon was my main complaint. Too many mistakes, needs to work on his shot if he's going to take so many one-timers, and he flubbed those two open nets in OT.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Horrible game to watch. I quit watching with 8 mins to go in second period. Turned it back on with 12 mins to go, I hadn't missed anything. Still no goals and one nice play bails them out. Even when this team is winning its still been unwatchable hockey. They haven't deserved most of their wins. They need to pick it up big time. Some shifts have passion, most are going through the motions. Parise is a man among boys in this league. I think without him, we would be dead last in nhl with the team's play thus far. This team has made me so negative lately because my expectations were extraordinarily high coming into this season.

This post is extremely inaccurate.

The Wild hustled all game, forechecked well, and had a lot of chances that just for whatever reason didn't go in. (3 Posts/waived off goal, etc)

You're blinded by emotions and frustrations to say anything otherwise.

Shots would have been 55-25 if we hadn't missed the net 30 times.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I wouldn't say the team played a good overall game. The Flames had many more scoring chances than us.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Overall, I'd say this was a good game by Suter and Backstrom.

Spurgeon was my main complaint. Too many mistakes, needs to work on his shot if he's going to take so many one-timers, and he flubbed those two open nets in OT.

Everyone fumbles the puck sometimes. Every player makes multiple mistakes a game. It's just hockey.

Spurgeon's actually got a pretty good shot. He got handcuffed there at the and and needs to get it up, but obviously he (and everyone watching) knows that. It's not like he purposefully did that...just got handcuffed/rushed the shot. Again, it happens.

I didn't think he played all that bad...he's our only Defense that is capable of really jumping in like that in the first place.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This post is extremely inaccurate.

The Wild hustled all game, forechecked well, and had a lot of chances that just for whatever reason didn't go in. (3 Posts/waived off goal, etc)

You're blinded by emotions and frustrations to say anything otherwise.

Shots would have been 55-25 if we hadn't missed the net 30 times.

Agreed, the Wild played well tonight other than the penalties they took. I don't get anyone being negative about this win at all. They earned and very much deserved this win.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I wouldn't say the team played a good overall game. The Flames had many more scoring chances than us.

I don't agree at all. The Flames had a couple chances, but hardly ever sustained pressure. They had a couple flukey breakaways/semi breakaways/bounces.

The Wild controlled the puck for 60 minutes.

Go look at the Calgary board. All of their fans are saying they don't even deserve a point....there goalie bailed them out. Yes, they had some good chances, but we had just as many and probably more.

If Parise's goal and one of Mikko's two posts go in (minimum) then you guys are all saying how the Wild played one of there best games of the year.

Spurgeon scores that backdoor play 9/10 times too. That one jam play goes in 8/10 times also.

That's 5 shots that go in 9/10 times...

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Eh, agree to disagree guys. No offense against your views.

In my opinion, if we had been playing a halfway decent team, there's no way we would have come close to winning.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Eh, agree to disagree guys. No offense against your views.

In my opinion, if we had been playing a halfway decent team, there's no way we would have come close to winning.

I think Minnesota had the better chances, but I think plenty in our section would have agreed with your post for the majority of the game in terms of them looking flat at home (which has happened at most of the games I've gone to this year).

Like I said, the end flurry kind of erased all of the "bad game" before it. It wiped it clean and the team walks out with two points and everyone goes from frustrated to jubilant.

OpRedDawn*

Tryin to watch the post game stuff but the link brings up the stupid outlook crap. wtf

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Reading through the GDT makes me glad I wasn't around for it, you guys need to relax.

EDIT: Except for all Pitbull-related content

Last edited:

SwimToTheMoon

Wild fan in WPG
Sep 5, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Thought Spurgeon struggled big time on the PP. Coughed up the puck a few times. Got lucky the Flames didn't score.

Bouchard looked good playing the point though for the most part. If Spurg doesn't improve on the PP, time to replace him.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Hey guys,

Congrats on the victory tonight, it's always nice seeing the Flames lose. Plus I have Parise, Koivu, and Heatley (hey, we all make mistakes) in my hockey pool, so I'm following the Wild pretty closely.

I was just wondering if you guys had any update about Josh Harding? I haven't really heard anything about him in the media since he went out of the lineup, and I can't seem to find an update on Google.

I'm just asking because he's one of the few professional athletes that I find to be an actual inspiration, so I'm hoping he comes back soon.

Billy Mays Here*

Hey guys,

Congrats on the victory tonight, it's always nice seeing the Flames lose. Plus I have Parise, Koivu, and Heatley (hey, we all make mistakes) in my hockey pool, so I'm following the Wild pretty closely.

I was just wondering if you guys had any update about Josh Harding? I haven't really heard anything about him in the media since he went out of the lineup, and I can't seem to find an update on Google.

I'm just asking because he's one of the few professional athletes that I find to be an actual inspiration, so I'm hoping he comes back soon.

For an update on Josh Harding, see the Josh Harding thread. :teach:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't understand the whining about not deserving to win a game. It's like you're crapping on the 2 points. The overall effort was good tonight. Sure, I want them to score more and not miss the net so many damn times, but whether the win's pretty or not doesn't matter, it's still worth the same 2 points.

PK was excellent and PP looked better than in a while. Just because they didn't capitalize on those PP chances doesn't mean the PP was awful. I feel bad for Koivu, he had absolutely no puck luck tonight with those shots. TWO crossbars... Jesus.

As for Coyle's hit: It sure wasn't an elbow, but it was too late and looks like his shoulder hit his chin. A suspension wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I thought the guys did alright tonight. A crapton of penalties, but they were at least pushing and trying for almost 2 periods, so that was pretty cool to watch.

A couple more goals wouldn't hurt, but we did at least get really close, Koivu with those two pipes was sad, then Parise getting seriously robbed earlier...

I'm glad they got pissed and won this one. Maybe they'll keep a little of that fire for the next one:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad