Post-Game Talk: 2/26/13 - Minnesota 2 - Calgary 1 F/OT

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Glad we pulled out the win. I didn't think we were ever going to score. I stopped watching midway through the second. I ended up just switching between Boston vs New York and Florida vs Pitt. Much more exciting. I'm starting to lose passion for this team. It is kind of sad but when so much good hockey is being played elsewhere I can't sit by and watch these sleepers. I keep thinking, maybe I just need to find myself a new team. But then I feel like I've invested so much time in loving the Wild unconditionally that I can't just leave, but watching their games just makes me angry. With the way they have been playing I think I just need a break from watching the team so I can come back again later on and enjoy them again without nitpicking all the crappy things going on. These games have way too much of an effect on my mood than I want them to.

INTOTHEVOID

Go right.
Jul 9, 2012
Minnesota
That seems so strange to me, I guess it's just because I'm from Minnesota. There is no way I could be a fan of another team like I am for this team. Even if we're boring as all **** sometimes..

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
That seems so strange to me, I guess it's just because I'm from Minnesota. There is no way I could be a fan of another team like I am for this team. Even if we're boring as all **** sometimes..

Agreed. Even if some don't find the games fun to watch, I would easily rather watch a Wild game over any other NHL game

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale

I am from Minnesota and have been a fan forever. I just really enjoy good hockey and good hockey players. Theres something awesome about watching a player like: John Tavares, Phil Kessel, or Pat Kane, those are my favorite players to watch. I know its pretty much bs that I'm going to stop watching Wild games because I can't I'm addicted and love hockey and supporting the hometown team. But I just want to watch a star. Someone with amazing skill that can making something happen at anytime. Those are the players that make hockey a fun and exciting game. We don't have any players resembling this, and probably won't for a long time. It sucks being a Wild fan.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I think the average EC game's more exciting than the average WC game, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna jump ship. It's not just the Wild's games that are often boring, there are many teams like that in the Western Conference. I can enjoy good hockey without really being a fan of either team, so I watch quite a lot of EC games.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Anyone think that if Coyle gets 2, it sends the wrong message? I don't know why but I see the Coyle hit as bad but more in line with a shoulder check looks like. What Hall did...I have no idea.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I am from Minnesota and have been a fan forever. I just really enjoy good hockey and good hockey players. Theres something awesome about watching a player like: John Tavares, Phil Kessel, or Pat Kane, those are my favorite players to watch. I know its pretty much bs that I'm going to stop watching Wild games because I can't I'm addicted and love hockey and supporting the hometown team. But I just want to watch a star. Someone with amazing skill that can making something happen at anytime. Those are the players that make hockey a fun and exciting game. We don't have any players resembling this, and probably won't for a long time. It sucks being a Wild fan.

Become a Gopher fan; they're probably the most skilled, fun to watch team in college hockey. It evens things out. :D

CG5

Jan 18, 2011
Waukesha, WI
Anyone think that if Coyle gets 2, it sends the wrong message? I don't know why but I see the Coyle hit as bad but more in line with a shoulder check looks like. What Hall did...I have no idea.

I'd be shocked if Coyle got more than 2. Stajan didn't get injured and it seems like Shanahan factors injury vs. no injury quite a lot when handing out suspensions. That and history, for which Coyle has none. He might deserve more than 2 though, looked pretty dirty too me.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
talon, i believe backs stopped 2 breakaways & a puck batted out of the air, how is that not standing on his head & having a grrrrreat game? swim to the moon, years ago i saw a mn vikings foam brick for throwing at the tv. i'm still mad at myself for not buying that! cheers.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Oh and Ryan Suter had 2 assists! YEAAAAH! Don´t stop the party!!!

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I think it's utterly ridiculous that Jared Spurgeon is this team's trigger man. If they're going to continue to stack the PP with left handed shots and work off the right hand side all game, it's inexcusable to have Spurgeon as the guy they're looking to deal to.

Speaking of their inept PP, I'm oh SOOOO tired of the drop pass in the neutral zone. I know why it's done as it's harder for the opposition to maintain gap control but if this is the only way they can maintain possession there's a problem.

Also, Zucker needs to see meaningful PP time. He's a proven PP performer with the shot to back it up.

Much like past years, they're really riding Backstrom's strong play right now. He's been damn near perfect.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Yeo sounded different this press conference. I liked his message but... i just cant let him off the hook because of a presser. He is still very unproven and on the hot seat imo. At least he should be.

Its necessary evil.

let him off the hook for WHAT? We're 4 points out of the division lead (and third place in the conference) with a game in hand.

this crap is ridiculous.

Where were you expecting we'd be at this point in the season?

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Solid contribution by Pitbull during commercials. Did he get an assist in the Parise goal?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
talon, i believe backs stopped 2 breakaways & a puck batted out of the air, how is that not standing on his head & having a grrrrreat game? swim to the moon, years ago i saw a mn vikings foam brick for throwing at the tv. i'm still mad at myself for not buying that! cheers.

Only one breakaway, the other Suter caught up and was able to shoulder him down without even a shot. The puck in the air, Backstrom didn't even have to move for, as it was batted right into his chest.

Most of his saves were of the routine variety otherwise thanks to the Wild blocking shots, one of which bailed Backstrom out when he was terribly slow going from one post to the other.

Backs played well overall, made the tough save when needed, just wasn't needed much, which is a good thing.

The pk won that game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
ninja ya beat me 2 it, im happy we have 9 wins but we still need major improvement if we have to play teams like the hawks in a series. starting w PP. we are the lowest GF in the nhl. thats not a positive stat for a hopefull playoff team. (or am i mistaken?)

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Watched Parise's interview after the winning goal. The guy is so down to earth, Minnesotan, I just adore the guy. He credited the fans for not giving up on the team (he used to rip the NJ fans for being fair weathered) and he credited the team captain for telling him where to be when he received that assist for the goal.

Parise is all class.

Oh and our captain proved last night why he deserves his C. Instructing Parise on positioning, placing the perfect assist.

What a pairing those two are together... now the question is who should be with them to form the trio on the first line?

THEALLKNOWING*

Only one breakaway, the other Suter caught up and was able to shoulder him down without even a shot. The puck in the air, Backstrom didn't even have to move for, as it was batted right into his chest.

Most of his saves were of the routine variety otherwise thanks to the Wild blocking shots, one of which bailed Backstrom out when he was terribly slow going from one post to the other.

Backs played well overall, made the tough save when needed, just wasn't needed much, which is a good thing.

The pk won that game.

I was at the game, and agree with this. Backstrom came-up big on the break-away, other than that I would characterize his play as steady, okay, however one wants to phrase it. Also agree, the skaters were more important on the PK versus Backstrom.

Spurgeon is a mini-Brent Burns. People love his offense capabilities, and overlook his defense. IMO, like Brent Burns, I can't wait for him to either have less ice time, or be off the team. His liabilities far exceed what he does offensively.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Glad we pulled out the win. I didn't think we were ever going to score. I stopped watching midway through the second. I ended up just switching between Boston vs New York and Florida vs Pitt. Much more exciting. I'm starting to lose passion for this team. It is kind of sad but when so much good hockey is being played elsewhere I can't sit by and watch these sleepers. I keep thinking, maybe I just need to find myself a new team. But then I feel like I've invested so much time in loving the Wild unconditionally that I can't just leave, but watching their games just makes me angry. With the way they have been playing I think I just need a break from watching the team so I can come back again later on and enjoy them again without nitpicking all the crappy things going on. These games have way too much of an effect on my mood than I want them to.

Aside from the first period, our guys actually played pretty well. There is definitely room for improvement, but they showed up, and progressively got better throughout the game.

Not all "good" games have scores of 5 and 6 goals, and are at top speed, up and down the rink.

I do agree our guys can be very frustrating to watch sometimes, but they are working through their demons, just like almost every other team.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
ninja ya beat me 2 it, im happy we have 9 wins but we still need major improvement if we have to play teams like the hawks in a series. starting w PP. we are the lowest GF in the nhl. thats not a positive stat for a hopefull playoff team. (or am i mistaken?)

what was the kings GF last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad