GDT: 2/15/15: FLYERS (23-22-10) at SABRES (16-36-3) TV: NBCSN - 7:30 PM ET

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Even if they did it doesn't change my point. There was bad blood before he moved. You can claim they were covering their ass all you want. But the bad blood was real regardless of who you want to believe was at fault.

Sigh.

He doesn't pay the price to got to the tougher areas of the ice to score. Thats probably what is pissing off the coaches. He also makes terrible/lazy decisions off the puck. Several times when he doesn't get a great pass on a breakout or in the neutral zone he keeps gliding forward hoping someone else gets the puck and feeds it to him. He basically waits for the puck to come to him as opposed to stopping and hustling after the puck to gain control or hustling back to help if possession is lost.

OMG! Several times huh? Like the Moulsons and Stewarts aren't equally guilty of the same (and arguably far more so, if only due the lack of leash yanking fear).

The only diff between Hodgson and the Moulsons, Stewarts, etc. in those areas that you flag, is that the dog house is only so big. Oh, and that Hodgson is the easier target given the combo of his age, lack of credentials, and seemingly having that "non-angry" but more quiet personality.

But any which way, nothing in your description supports calling him a "baby". The kid obviously doesn't have Moulson's tenured track record or Stewart's physical play, but calling him a "baby" for his playing style is akin to having called the Sedin's "sisters" back in the day.

I'm losing track of what a "Nolan guy" is after all the complaints. like……

-He hates young players and won't play them. False-- Girgs, Risto, Zads, Grigs
-He hates skill players and only plays grinders--False with the ice time Moulson, Ennis, Myers, Stafford and the young guys already mentioned
-He over plays he 4th line plugs--False -- Kaleta and Ellis play about 8mins a night.

So what exactly is a "Nolan guy"? And why isn't Hodgson one?

I can't address your references to other poster's issues with Nolan, but according to Nolan himself, a "Nolan guy" is one who "gets angry" and (at least appears to be) "playing hard".

Also according to Nolan himself, Hodgson failed the coach miserably by failing to be like Stewart and "getting angry" at his treatment. It's apparently just not in Hodgson's personality to react as Stewart did, and Nolan clearly doesn't have much more in the motivational tactic tool bag than playing stick/carrot without the carrot.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sigh.

OMG! Several times huh? Like the Moulsons and Stewarts aren't equally guilty of the same (and arguably far more so, if only due the lack of leash yanking fear).

The only diff between Hodgson and the Moulsons, Stewarts, etc. in those areas that you flag, is that the dog house is only so big. Oh, and that Hodgson is the easier target given the combo of his age, lack of credentials, and seemingly having that "non-angry" but more quiet personality.

But any which way, nothing in your description supports calling him a "baby". The kid obviously doesn't have Moulson's tenured track record or Stewart's physical play, but calling him a "baby" for his playing style is akin to having called the Sedin's "sisters" back in the day.

I can't address your references to other poster's issues with Nolan, but according to Nolan himself, a "Nolan guy" is one who "gets angry" and (at least appears to be) "playing hard".

Also according to Nolan himself, Hodgson failed the coach miserably by failing to be like Stewart and "getting angry" at his treatment. It's apparently just not in Hodgson's personality to react as Stewart did, and Nolan clearly doesn't have much more in the motivational tactic tool bag than playing stick/carrot without the carrot.

You do realize that Stewart did more than get angry. He produced 6pts in his next 9 gms after getting benched and EARNED his spot on the top line. That fact seems to get lost quite a bit in your breakdowns.

I agree Nolan needs to try something other than benchings since they're not working. But what? Can't just hand him a spot on the top line. So what other option is there?

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
just curious as to why Coho is still getting 2 to 3 pages of posts? It's pretty simple. He's bad, and his contract is worse. I hope we can trade him.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
You do realize that Stewart did more than get angry. He produced 6pts in his next 9 gms after getting benched and EARNED his spot on the top line. That fact seems to get lost quite a bit in your breakdowns.

Yes, I realize Stewart got more than "angry", he got showcased for the trade deadline. And you gotta know Nolan would love to be reacting to Stewart's -9 over the last 9 games ;)

But I've never raised a voice against his promo to the top line. In point of fact, I advocated it after he was gift-wrapped Moulson's spot on the 1st PP unit and actually did something more than stand around chewing his mouth guard. Since then, I have only pitied Ennis/Girgensens for assuming Hodgson's dismal defensive stats now that they have to play with Stewart at ES too. :(

I agree Nolan needs to try something other than benchings since they're not working. But what? Can't just hand him a spot on the top line. So what other option is there?

It's simple. Put Hodgson into the position he is most likely to thrive and loosen the leash.

To the first, his best strengths are his playmaking and his shot, so put them to work at center with Moulson (who is also floundering without a playmaking center) on the wing, with whoever is the best candidate for defensive speed on the other side.

Whether or not you subscribe to Nolan's theory that Hodgson isn't best suited to center, that's the spot he's played his entire career before Nolan's tinkering and so most likely where he feels the most confident right about now. Also, looking ahead to the day when some of the youth slots in (Reinhart, etc.) at center is great, but for this season, on this roster, Hodgson is simply the best option behind Girgensens down the middle.

To the second, the short leash factor, simply treat him to the same length everyone else gets.

Scratching the guy for some unspoken (and so likely imaginary) transgression just after he plays the physical game of getting PK Subban off the puck to set up Stafford, while concurrently staying mum on the likes of Moulson's floating and Stewart's give away strategies, is akin to killing whatever might be left of the kid's confidence - or interest in hearing what else the coach has to say.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I was wondering why the GDT got to 5 pages today. Thought maybe it was speculation on what Bogo would do and discussing our call ups.
Guess not, I'll be on my way out now :laugh:

machpo

Apr 18, 2007
It's simple. Put Hodgson into the position he is most likely to thrive and loosen the leash.

To the first, his best strengths are his playmaking and his shot, so put them to work at center with Moulson (who is also floundering without a playmaking center) on the wing, with whoever is the best candidate for defensive speed on the other side.

:laugh: An important part of any cup-winning team - a slow as hell, defensively below-average center.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I was watching the game preview and I was wondering: is it normal for you guys to talk with like 10 inches in between your face and the person that you're talking to?

It looks really awkward.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I was watching the game preview and I was wondering: is it normal for you guys to talk with like 10 inches in between your face and the person that you're talking to?

It looks really awkward.

It seems fairly common in locker room interviews. Culturally it is not normal unless you're some drunk guy in a bar.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

It looks really awkward.

I think it is more about their broadcast equipment

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014

It looks really awkward.

I think it's due to them sharing a mic. Wouldn't stand that close just talking to a buddy on the street unless it was cold and I know them well enough to want to steal their body heat.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York

It looks really awkward.

Also bad breath and constant eye contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad