GDT: 2/15/15: FLYERS (23-22-10) at SABRES (16-36-3) TV: NBCSN - 7:30 PM ET

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So with Kaleta out for a while, is this Larsson's last stand or what? He seems to be developing a bad attitude, so I'm not sure about him. He said he wouldn't care if he got traded at this point, and there were rumors after his last send-down that he might go back to Sweden or something? I'm hoping he impresses enough for them to keep him though.

Are Larsson and Des basically fighting for the 4 LW position next year?
I missed this with Larsson, where can I find the interview of him being displeased?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Anyone watch the interview video with Weber after practice yesterday? He seemed to say he wants out as well if you read between the lines. I get there is much negative energy in the locker room about this season cause let's face it, no one likes to be told your not good enough so we are going for this guy (ie. McDavid)

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Nolan doesn't like the way Hodgson has been practicing and taking direction apparently. Nolan's not expecting him to score his way off the 4th line, he's expecting him to change his attitude, approach, and work ethic to get off the 4th line. Nolan's said many times, it's not the lack of scoring that has him in the dog house.

Many times huh? Source? Cuz I"ve read/heard Nolan's refrain that Hodgson isn't producing. Nothing 'bout his defensive play for an eon either. Just isn't producing, "gotta get him going", "needs someone to get him the puck", yadda, yadda.

As for the rest though, Hodgson "change" generally, that's been at least inferred a trillion times. Funny, how the kid could be 25 and suddenly for the first time ever "uncoachable". Rave reviews of his work ethic too, never one comment to the contrary, until Nolan...

Clearly this is more of a total disconnect between coach and player, with the player getting the short end because the coach can say what he likes via the media while the player has to keep his head down and mouth shut.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Many times huh? Source? Cuz I"ve read/heard Nolan's refrain that Hodgson isn't producing. Nothing 'bout his defensive play for an eon either. Just isn't producing, "gotta get him going", "needs someone to get him the puck", yadda, yadda.

As for the rest though, Hodgson "change" generally, that's been at least inferred a trillion times. Funny, how the kid could be 25 and suddenly for the first time ever "uncoachable". Rave reviews of his work ethic too, never one comment to the contrary, until Nolan...

Clearly this is more of a total disconnect between coach and player, with the player getting the short end because the coach can say what he likes via the media while the player has to keep his head down and mouth shut.

His coach in Vancouver didn't like him either and felt he was a baby. His GM in Vancouver didn't like him or his meddling father. So along with the coach they decide to feed him a ton ofOzone starts to pump up his production so they could get rid of him via trade.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bogo with Benoit. :laugh:

Bogo is going to be one tired dman by the end of the game between the jump in minutes and playing with Benoit.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
His coach in Vancouver didn't like him either and felt he was a baby. His GM in Vancouver didn't like him or his meddling father. So along with the coach they decide to feed him a ton ofOzone starts to pump up his production so they could get rid of him via trade.

:laugh: People still buy that?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Here are the projected lineups:

FLYERS

Brayden Schenn – Claude Giroux – Jakub Voracek

Matt Read – Sean Couturier – Wayne Simmonds

R.J. Umberger – Michael Raffl – Ryan White

Chris VandeVelde – Pierre-Edouard Bellemare – Vincent Lecavalier

Nicklas Grossmann – Mark Streit

Michael Del Zotto – Luke Schenn

Nick Schultz – Braydon Coburn

Ray Emery

Anthony Stolarz

Scratched: Carlo Colaiacovo, Andrew MacDonald

Injured: Steve Mason (knee), Kimmo Timonen (blood clots)

Suspended: Zac Rinaldo

SABRES

Chris Stewart – Zemgus Girgensons – Tyler Ennis

Matt Moulson – Torrey Mitchell – Brian Gionta

Marcus Foligno – Brian Flynn – Nicolas Deslauriers

Johan Larsson – Matt Ellis – Cody Hodgson

Andre Benoit – Zach Bogosian

Nikita Zadorov – Rasmus Ristolainen

Mike Weber – Andrej Meszaros

Michal Neuvirth

Anders Lindback

Scratched: Tyson Strachan

Injured: Josh Gorges (lower body), Patrick Kaleta (lower body), Cody McCormick (blood clot), Evander Kane (shoulder)

Status report: Nolan said Kaleta's injury could have him out a while. Stewart participated fully in the morning skate Sunday. He missed Sabres practice Saturday battling the flu.

Who's hot: Zadorov has six assists in the past six games… Read and Simmonds each have three-game point streaks. Read has a goal and two assists and Simmonds has three goals and two assists during that span.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Good luck with Bogo tonight. Just remember to temper expectations, he was only a #3 with us. Great guy though and solid player.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Parking question:

I usually park at one of the surface lots and just walk a few blocks, but with the temps today and my daughter in tow, I wanted to check out the arena ramp parking. Is it available for general parking? Cash only?

Bps21*

Anyone watch the interview video with Weber after practice yesterday? He seemed to say he wants out as well if you read between the lines. I get there is much negative energy in the locker room about this season cause let's face it, no one likes to be told your not good enough so we are going for this guy (ie. McDavid)

Oh man...if we lose Nolan Weber AND Hodgson... Oh man...

We might be better than I thought next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Parking question:

I usually park at one of the surface lots and just walk a few blocks, but with the temps today and my daughter in tow, I wanted to check out the arena ramp parking. Is it available for general parking? Cash only?

You might be able to try the Harborcenter ramp

Bps21*

:laugh: People still buy that?

This is one of my favorite things. They played him in the ozone to bump his value. Or...you know...because it's what you are supposed to do with one dimensional players who are a tire fire in their own end but can get on the scoresheet.

It is of zero surprise that a nolan/hodgson partnership would end up this way. It's a perfect storm of can't understand/can't do. Nolan would have Ovechkin start 80% in the d zone and then put him in the doghouse for not playing right.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

Source? lol

Seriously, you're an obviously astute guy who doesn't lend himself to basing opinion on unsubstantiated fan-created rumors, so you may want to look into this a bit deeper before merely repeating the trash now.

No one out of Vancouver's mgmt said a thing about Hodgson's father. That reference can be readily sourced to one fan making a couple snarky comments via Twitter to Hodgson's agent who, in his rant of a reply, didn't happen to denounce the "daddy" comment, so the fan then leaped to suggest it must then be true. And presto, a nasty rumor is born. That's it, that's all.

The only way the coach went near calling Hodgson a "baby" was when speculated via the media that the then 19 year old was faking an injury - something later proved to be a bad moment for the coach when it turned out the injury was legit and needed legit treatment.

In actuality, the crap you're basing your comments on is sourced to three sentences that came out of the GM's mouth during an interview long after the trade, when Vancouver had been bounced out of the playoffs due lack of offense and the media wouldn't let up on the GM for having traded proven offense (Hodgson) for a non-NHL ready project (Kassian). Eventually, Gillis did the GM promoter thing and tossed Hodgson under a bus to deflect the attention, with his comments inferring the kid was an issue in some unspoken way and had asked for a trade.

For ease of reference, here is what was said by Gillis at the time:

"There clearly were issues that were ongoing," Gillis said when asked about Hodgson during Tuesday’s season ending press conference. "I spent more time on Cody's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years. We made a determination that he didn't want to be here; we built him into something we could move."​

(http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...key/gillis-hodgson-wanted-out/article1390890/)

That's it, that's all. The totality of what was actually said of the kid. That became the basis for media and disgruntled Vancouver fans to latch onto the theory Hodgson was a "primadonna" and "rookie with a swollen ego". It's called falling hook, line, sinker for a promoter's impression management lawyer speak.

For his part of course, Hodgson never said a word about it all. Just like this stretch with Nolan, and just like any player who knows the ropes, he kept his head down and mouth shut. But the beating his rep took from Gillis' one-off bus tossing got others speaking up on his behalf. From Gary Roberts at the time:

"“I listened to Mike Gillis the other day,†Roberts said by phone over the weekend, “and my impression was, ‘Are you kidding me?’

“If anybody knew this kid, this young man, to know what he went through mentally and physically for two summers trying to find out what the heck was wrong with him — of course they dealt with his issues more than anybody else in the organization because he was injured and they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him.

It almost was like they thought he didn’t want to work. Well, I can tell you that this kid out of all the kids that I train, he’s up there in the [Steven] Stamkos group as far as commitment and determination. What I tell him, he does, so I know he’s coachable and I love working with him.â€​

(http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/0...ke-gillis-a-moron-for-comments-about-hodgson/)

All in, you've based your comment on a GM's impression management deflection and disgruntled fans throwing in "daddy" comments for the drama of it afterward.

It's also rather amusing when people latch onto the "we built him into something we could move" comment as though perhaps it might actually be unusual to "shelter" a rookie (say with favourable ozone starts or match ups) :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad