2 #1 Franchise 80 point centers vs 2 #1 Norris D

Which would you rather?

• Total voters

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
tell me the season when Niedermayer was the best player on the planet
2004-2007 he was in that mix.

Pronger was slightly better but it was very slight during that time frame. And believe me I watched every game of the Pronger/Niedermayer era.

I honestly believe that 3 defensemen (Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer) were the best 3 players in all of hockey during the period right before Ovechkin/Crosby came into the league

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If this thread is Tavares/Matthews vs Burns/Karlsson you take the center because Matthews is only 21 and Burns is 33.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I recall the days The Canadiens had Lapointe, Savard, and Robinson. Virtually unbeatable team when one or both of these guys were always on the ice to control a game. Also recall Neidermayer and Pronger on the Ducks and how hard it was to beat the Ducks that year. I think it's easier to throw out 2, franchise D men on the ice than 2, #1C's. Taking the D men.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
2004-2007 he was in that mix.

Pronger was slightly better but it was very slight during that time frame. And believe me I watched every game of the Pronger/Niedermayer era.

I honestly believe that 3 defensemen (Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermayer) were the best 3 players in all of hockey during the period right before Ovechkin/Crosby came into the league

Pretty sure most of the history board would disagree with you

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I would take 2 of Karlsson/Hedman/Doughty over Kuznetsov and Backstrom but not Josi and Subban.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Having two elite centers seems to be more important for success esp considering the past cup winners.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So like Kuznetsov and Seguin, or Doughty and Karlsson? It’s the dmen in a landslide. Drop the 80 point part and it’s a lot more interesting

Drop the 80-point part, and this is a landslide for the centers. I mean, how many cups to the Pens have with Crosby and Malkin, and how many has Nashville gotten with any of Weber/Suter/Subban/Josi/Jones?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Drop the 80-point part, and this is a landslide for the centers. I mean, how many cups to the Pens have with Crosby and Malkin, and how many has Nashville gotten with any of Weber/Suter/Subban/Josi/Jones?
This place overvalues defensemen like crazy. Team defense matters far more than what an defensemen can do. The Sharks lost to the Pens 2 years ago and they had 2 D-men who were far above anything the Pens had. Ditto for the Preds. The D-corps for Vegas was strong enough to get to the SCF before guys like Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Subban, Josi, Weber, Suter ever have. You need a 1D to win the cup, you don't need a top 5 D to win the cup.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Having two elite centers seems to be more important for success esp considering the past cup winners.

Washington has an elite #1 dman in Carlsson and arguably the greatest goal scorer to ever play the game on the wings.
Pittsburgh has 2 of the 3 best Centermen in the world (had the 2 best Before McDavid entered the game).

Since this thread is clearly referring to Toronto, those scenarios are quite different than having Tavares, Matthews at C and Rielly as your #1 dman.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
I would go with the 2 D’s and trade one of them asap to strengthen some weaker spots on the team and make the team more balanced

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'll take the d-men but probably only due to their bigger ability to influence the game. By that I mean there are generally only 6 d-men and they can play close to half the game. So if you can have 33% of your complement being Norris winders and almost always have one on the ice, that's a pretty big advantage.

Like how in basketball one superstar has a much bigger influence than they do in hockey.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'll take the d-men but probably only due to their bigger ability to influence the game. By that I mean there are generally only 6 d-men and they can play close to half the game. So if you can have 33% of your complement being Norris winders and almost always have one on the ice, that's a pretty big advantage.

Like how in basketball one superstar has a much bigger influence than they do in hockey.

I think this is difficut to say without actually having names. You could have an elite, 80-point two-way C or you could have an 80-point one-dimensional C.

Matthews/Tavares v. Burns/Karlsson is a lot different from Crosby/Malkin v. Burns/Karlsson.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
80 point Center is too vague so I went with defenseman. Centers could be Kopitar and Barkov, Barzal and Draisaitl, or McDavid and Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad