Line Combos: 1st vs. 2nd line - time to split up Ehlers - Little - Laine? Mod Warning Post #552

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I think you otherwise understood pretty well how I see Ehlers, but I think you still misinterpreted my probably quite unclear explanation of how I dislike Messi in soccer compared to prime Ibrahimovic. My point wasn’t exactly that I necessarily dislike small players. It was just about Messi’s play style and then using his small size as a tool for getting penalties to opponents by falling, rolling and crying enough.

Some of my all time favorite players have been Theo Fleury, Martin St. Louis and Saku Koivu, and at the moment, I have the highest admiration towards Johnny Hockey and Mats Zuccarello. And of the Jets players I like Kyle Connor and his style of play much, much more than Ehlers’s.

It is still the stylistic, and too much speed oriented aspect of Ehler’s game that I very much dislike. Some people even here have blamed Laine a one trick pony, but to me honestly, if anyone of the Jets is by any means a one trick pony, it is Ehlers. But I do promise that I’m willing to change my opinion on Ehlers if he ever starts changing his style so that he would use less constant blazing and get more vision on what his teammates are really doing and start playing more of a thinking man’s game. I just really dislike his speed dependency and how he doesn’t use it much really for the true benefit of his teammates. This is how I see it at the moment, and even how strongly some of you are against my opinions, they will not change until Ehlers himself shows that there is a reason to change those opinions. Some of you guys truly don’t seem to understand what opinions mean and that all of us are allowed to have them, even how outrageous other people’s opinions might feel to ourselves.

I think the personal attack’s really should stop, and this is why I myself will definitely take care that I also will not do them by any means either.

I personally have zero issues with you not liking him. I really couldn’t care less. I also have zero against Finns (except that weird language of yours ;)) My issue was that calling him selfish and a non team player has nothing to do with style or how much he contributes to the team. Him being selfish has been floated around for a while now and the more posters see that the more likely they are to repeat it (kind of like the nonsense that Laine is one dimensional). I’d like to put that to rest because it simply isn’t true by any possible metric you can find.
Even if we say Ehlers was riding ESLs coattails last season how do you explain him being a great playmaker all other years? Do I get to downgrade Laine pp goals because Ehlers was the reason he got some of those opportunities? And how do you explain Ehlers having the second most 5v5 pts on the team last season and being top 10 in the whole league. Was that someone’s else fault too? If you think Ehlers is a one trick pony (which you seem to do) then you must think 90% of the league are as well. Personally I can only think of three other Jet forwards with a better overall game and your golden boy isn’t one of them...

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
He happens to argue with some well made points then. You might even disagree with them, but at least he is not attacking the posters, just making counter arguments.
No One think you dislike Him for being danish!! You said earlyer you Think ehlers dont pass to Laine Because he had taken his spotlight... have you seen ehlers when Laine score? He is the happiest guy!!! Sometimes what you Think of others is how you Self are ;) get it? Ehlers is a young up and comming star... You finns have had Many stars in hockey... cant us danes not have 1 too? We have Frans Nielsen and The bust Boedker... cant we try to have Something Nice for a change? I absolutely dislike big slow players!!! But you Know what? I love Laine Because he is a Winnipeg jets! There is alot of room for spotlight on all the players on OUR team so dont worry ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
No One think you dislike Him for being danish!! You said earlyer you Think ehlers dont pass to Laine Because he had taken his spotlight... have you seen ehlers when Laine score? He is the happiest guy!!! Sometimes what you Think of others is how you Self are ;) get it? Ehlers is a young up and comming star... You finns have had Many stars in hockey... cant us danes not have 1 too? We have Frans Nielsen and The bust Boedker... cant we try to have Something Nice for a change? I absolutely dislike big slow players!!! But you Know what? I love Laine Because he is a Winnipeg jets! There is alot of room for spotlight on all the players on OUR team so dont worry ;)

He is our star regardless of what anyone says :laugh: doesn’t take much when you compare him with other Danes :nod: when I played as a kid no Dane had ever played in the league and look at us now! The Jets have so many great players and fans well naturally have favorites. A really great problem to have have!!

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I personally have zero issues with you not liking him. I really couldn’t care less. I also have zero against Finns (except that weird language of yours ;)) My issue was that calling him selfish and a non team player has nothing to do with style or how much he contributes to the team. Him being selfish has been floated around for a while now and the more posters see that the more likely they are to repeat it (kind of like the nonsense that Laine is one dimensional). I’d like to put that to rest because it simply isn’t true by any possible metric you can find.
Even if we say Ehlers was riding ESLs coattails last season how do you explain him being a great playmaker all other years? Do I get to downgrade Laine pp goals because Ehlers was the reason he got some of those opportunities? And how do you explain Ehlers having the second most 5v5 pts on the team last season and being top 10 in the whole league. Was that someone’s else fault too? If you think Ehlers is a one trick pony (which you seem to do) then you must think 90% of the league are as well. Personally I can only think of three other Jet forwards with a better overall game and your golden boy isn’t one of them...
Then we just disagree massively and life goes on. I have already pointed out in several messages the reasons why I think Ehlers is selfish, and I will not repeat myself again. Partially it might be also because of his lack of vision when he is blazing at full speed. But I have seen enough of elements in his game to think that he is also greedy when it comes to goal scoring and holding on to the puck. Also his quite subpar defensive play is one reason why I see him as a pretty selfish player. But as I already stated, none of you will really change my opinion on him. The good thing is that Ehlers can definitely change my opinions on him. Hopefully he will manage to play in the way that I will be forced to change my opinion on him.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Nice to see the Dane sticking up for one of the most electric, and exciting players in the NHL today. As Ehlers goes-- so goes the Jets !!! :thumbu:

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Then we just disagree massively and life goes on. I have already pointed out in several messages the reasons why I think Ehlers is selfish, and I will not repeat myself again. Partially it might be also because of his lack of vision when he is blazing at full speed. But I have seen enough of elements in his game to think that he is also greedy when it comes to goal scoring and holding on to the puck. Also his quite subpar defensive play is one reason why I see him as a pretty selfish player. But as I already stated, none of you will really change my opinion on him. The good thing is that Ehlers cam definitely change my opinions on him. Hopefully he will manage to play in the way that I will be forced to change my opinion on him.

So let me ask you this. And I’m not trying to change your mind... why is it that when Ehlers skates the puck up and puts it on net is selfishness but when Laine flips the puck out of the zone it’s team strategy (PMo instructed)? Considering the coach has been saying they need more pucks to the net the majority of the season you don’t think it’s feasible that his play is by design? To me it doesn’t feel like some posters are looking at it objectively.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think everyone here knows why Ehlers gets hate from a specific group of people here, ...

Do you have evidence that Ippenator is a group of people now, as I can't see the "hate" (or rather, honest but odd dislike) for Ehlers from other posters.

Hockey professor doesn't seem to post anymore. He maybe did hate anyone not named Laine. But I would not say two people makes a group.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
i read ippenators messages yesterday i Think..is it still here for Reading? maybe last pages i dont know..im lazy to as Writing here to read what again it in detail it was about but his Writing was about all total truth thats why i want to share more truths of that as professor at hockey i am...

yeah...laine got really hurt by playing in Little and Ehlers all season long to last game. when this trio is at ice "playing" all is wrong...Ehlers soloing all the time and shooting when laine is free. then he´s passes never got through...he kind of has bad puckskills only speed speed speed. often when they arrive at opponent zoun then puck is taken after fast shoot or puckloose and opponent skate to our zoun and after that it is time for change. there is no playing in the opponents zoun because these players cant almost play hockey. it is only go to zound and shoot fast Before opponent take puck. Little is weak loosing all battles, cant pass good, no vision almost, and then Ehlers is only skating and never passes and has very bad puckskill and vision etc etc. often coach is blinded if player is so enormous skater. but laine has not get chanche whole season to play hockey at this line. you can blame laine for not being good enough but he has lost interest in trying in this line, he losts confidence and it is simply not fun to play with these guys. Little is not 2nd line center and Ehlers at this team i happily would put to 3rd line or 4th. he is perfect for 4th line crazy skater who destroys opponent by it. skate skate skate. by playing Ehlers with laine it can also seem that Ehlers is almost as good as laine cos they play same line and very likely get like same amount of Points because playing go through each other. do you understand this?

but thing is laine is a mario Lemieux player who must play with top players at team. not with Little and Ehlers! laine deserves having well over 100p oints seasons and towards marionumbers not being stopped treated like this playing with soloskater, selfish, and also not talented Ehlers and the bad Little. laine is first liner Little and Ehlers can play 4th line. so...

also why is 1st rounder armia playing 4th line? he could have played with laine at 2nd line and getted alot of Points and play in 2nd line was at this moment been 100% total different whole season. this team should let armia the Little shy? boy. Little quite? boy? get the confidence here at Winnipeg and be putted to 1st or second line. he really in skill is not behind anyboty here. well laine is laine but no other.

i dont understand heer at boards one screamed after some roslovic and now many scream after this.....who is he?= i looked at his numbers at farmleague and only some 1,03 Points per game and like 40 players at this League has same numbers or better. c mon Winnipeg has already better players and everyboty cant play. armia is a Young player and 1st round pick and is like a unique player in NHL. hes style, hes skills ,skatingability, superoffens, superdefens. why in heck is he treated like this? he is big he is strong he is like a center....so many good things in him. he is like a super super star. Little got big long maoneyrich contract here. is this why he is playd? i feel shame of this organisation armia is not signed for 1st , 2nd line here. it is not possible to play him at 4th line for next contract. he is a 1st liner i must say. can play 2nd line at lowest.

this team is so many wrongs going on. other . all other teams all are in line to have this superplayer for topline jobs. armia should get firstpage BIG article in Winnipeg press biggest newspaper. come on armia come out. say what you Think. you cant be shy anymore..

avgard hockeyprofessor

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Do you have evidence that Ippenator is a group of people now, as I can't see the "hate" (or rather, honest but odd dislike) for Ehlers from other posters.

Hockey professor doesn't seem to post anymore. He maybe did hate anyone not named Laine. But I would not say two people makes a group.
Just a Very small group ;) and 3 min. After hockey professor post hahahaha

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Maybe we should all get together and bash Enstrom. I’m sure Danes and Finns can agree that Swedes suck :sarcasm:
There would be no end to that really. ;)

But, seriously, I guess I need to try to give Ehlers still a break. He is young like many of us (even me) have mentioned already, and he will most probably develop tons still. You Danes are also seriously good people, and I definitely don’t want to offend you and your country. I have to admit that you now reminded me in a healthy way, how it is when your country is still looking for their real star class NHL player. We Finns had that kind of a time in the eighties, and when Jari Kurri eventually broke through in a big way, it felt absolutely amazing. So I can definitely relate to how passionately you Danes must really feel about Ehlers. I just needed a healthy reminder of it. Thanks for that. And sure, we all are hoping for the best for the Jets. I’m definitely doing that too, even though Laine is my favorite player on the Jets. But his success without the Jets succeeding doesn’t really mean much after all. So definitely I’m hoping for all the Jets to do well. Hopefully we will have a nice springtime with the Jets, as long as possible!

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
For those attempting to moderate (IE: determine what's a personal attack, or a strawman argument) - cut it out. Report posts, and stop the natd (not adding to the discussion crap).

What a f***ing tire fire this thread is - it's the least civil I've seen this forum in 6 years.

If someone even thinks about discussing this warning publicly rather than sending me a private note about it, you'll be removed from this thread for a period of time.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
There would be no end to that really. ;)

But, seriously, I guess I need to try to give Ehlers still a break. He is young like many of us (even me) have mentioned already, and he will most probably develop tons still. You Danes are also seriously good people, and I definitely don’t want to offend you and your country. I have to admit that you now reminded me in a healthy way, how it is when your country is still looking for their real star class NHL player. We Finns had that kind of a time in the eighties, and when Jari Kurri eventually breaked through in a big way, it felt absolutely amazing. So I can definitely relate to how passionately you Danes must really feel about Ehlers. I just needed a healthy reminder of it. Thanks for that. And sure, we all are hoping for the best of the Jets. I’m definitely doing that too, even though Laine is my favorite player on the Jets. But his success without the Jets succeeding doesn’t really mean much after all. So definitely I’m hoping for all the Jets to do well. Hopefully we will have a nice springtime with the Jets, as long as possible!

Was never offended just disagreed:) and never took it as a slight against Danes in general so don’t worry. We should all be able to post our opinions regardless of nationality and beliefs. I was simply trying to point out some of the things that I think counter your arguments.

Reactions: Ippenator

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
My eye test finds Ehlers as a bit of a Drama Queen /Diva/Diver. His creativity sometimes comes across as selfish when it doesn't work. Many players, mostly agitators I've wished were on my team ....really happy to have Ehlers even with his warts.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
My issue was that calling him selfish and a non team player ...

We agree on this, 100%. From time to time Ehlers puts his blinkers on and can't see even the easiest changes to pass the puck but for crying out loud that isn't an excuse to call him selfish or a bad team player. I really dislike that kind of bashing.

Everything you can see on and off the ice from his reactions and actions tells us that Ehlers is definitely not selfish and not a bad team mate but quite contrary. That kid has great passion and strong emotions and doesn't shy to show them. Very lovable person, to put in other words.

Btw. Ehlers makes some ridiculously good high IQ playmaking as well. Just imagine if he never had those blinkers on he would be on mcdavidesque level and not just that great player he is already with his strengths and weaknesses. Ehlers is still young and experience will help him. His speed will also not decrease for many years.

Ps. Great goal scorers have to be "greedy" when they have a goal scoring opportunity. Otherwise they will not be great goal scorers.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Experience will help with the blinders. When he understands how much room he has and also that sometimes slowing the play down actually creates more room and time, he will be hard to handle.

And everyone makes those mistakes from time to time. For example KC last night in his goal. Bad angle weak shot instead of a free 3 foot pass to slot where the best shooter in the world was ready for a onetimer. Great that he scored, just pointing out that blinders happen to everyone.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Ehlers did get fined for diving in his rookie season, but he's definitely reigned that in since. In the past I've found him to actually be a bit too unselfish - passing instead of shooting in prime spots. I guarantee that at times the coaches have told him to put more pucks on net. He's a great team player, with no indication of putting himself or his stat line above the team. Watch his interviews and compare them to Evander Kane...

Ehlers will continue to be a major part of the Jets' success for years to come, and is one of the more entertaining players to watch.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
These infights over minor topics makes me sad. Personally I root for Ehlers and hope him great career. I don't subscribe that alleged selfishness (beyond any reasonable level considering his role in the team), and I feel good for fellow Danes they have their own star player (in fact I root for Danes in all international tournaments, if the game isn't against Finland)...

Danish WW2 Pilots | Danish Volunteers in the Winter War

Go Jets Go!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
These infights over minor topics makes me sad. Personally I root for Ehlers and hope him great career. I don't subscribe that alleged selfishness (beyond any reasonable level considering his role in the team), and I feel good for fellow Danes they have their own star player (in fact I root for Danes in all international tournaments, if the game isn't against Finland)...

Danish WW2 Pilots | Danish Volunteers in the Winter War

Go Jets Go!
Me too. The vast majority of posters here, Canadian and international, are great and mutually supportive, but it still feels like I need to wear a flak jacket before entering some threads.

Remember the quote, Something is rotten in the state of Denmark...well, it is, figuratively...and it's not Ehlers:sarcasm:.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
These infights over minor topics makes me sad. Personally I root for Ehlers and hope him great career. (snip) Go Jets Go!

Thanks for this post.

I appreciate this kind of clarity and hope that the board avoids the devolution toward squabbling over favourite players.

Hockey is a team sport. Lets go Jets!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yes it's fine to reply to it and argue his points but what's the point of going on about it after that? Voice your disagreement and offer your arguments, if that doesn't change his mind then too bad, hopefully Ehlers will show him the light at some point. I doubt it because it seems to be a size related dislike. As weird as that might sound to us, at least he has offered his reasons.

It's just that in this case his opinion is 1 in I don't know what?
10,000, 100,000, a million?

If he was comparing player A to player B that is one thing but just coming out and saying that he'd rather not have him on the team is barely staying within the parameters of sanity.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad