Line Combos: 1st vs. 2nd line - time to split up Ehlers - Little - Laine? Mod Warning Post #552

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Experience will help with the blinders. When he understands how much room he has and also that sometimes slowing the play down actually creates more room and time, he will be hard to handle.

And everyone makes those mistakes from time to time. For example KC last night in his goal. Bad angle weak shot instead of a free 3 foot pass to slot where the best shooter in the world was ready for a onetimer. Great that he scored, just pointing out that blinders happen to everyone.

The shot KC took (rather than passing to Laine) wasn't a bad decision - he had wheels in a very disruptive position in front of the net and he took the shot before wheeler found himself in the net - and it went in.
KC was doing exactly what was being asked of him - shoot the puck on net especially when there is a screen or congestion in front of the net.
No mistake on that play

Reactions: Ducky10

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The shot KC took (rather than passing to Laine) wasn't a bad decision - he had wheels in a very disruptive position in front of the net and he took the shot before wheeler found himself in the net - and it went in.
KC was doing exactly what was being asked of him - shoot the puck on net especially when there is a screen or congestion in front of the net.
No mistake on that play

I need to see that replay again.
I kind of thought he lost the puck trying to do something and that it just took a weird bounce of the defender and dribbled in for us.

Anyways, a shot could also create a rebound for someone waiting in the slot.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Just clearing up the difference in size between Connor and Gaudreau.
So what? I never claimed that they were the same sizes. But the thing that they have together is that none of them are anyway particularly big players. I was just correcting the clear mistake that some people had made that I only liked big players and somehow automatically disliked smaller players.

I exactly just showed that I have very much liked players that have been really much smaller than Ehlers, and that Ehlers is anyway not really a small player. I brought up Connor only because he is the same size approximately that Ehlers is, and he also is quite a speedster. But I have liked his game much more, because to me he has still seemed much less speed dependant, and he has exactly been slowing the game down when it has been needed.

It’s great if you are a real speedster, but if you can’t use your speed more selectively you will exactly make it more difficult for the team to really benefit from your blazing speed. But ok, enough of commenting Ehlers at the moment. I do hope that he will find ways to control his speed in a smart way and use it to better benefit of his teammates. I just hope it will really happen.

Last edited:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
No mistake on that play

I said it wasn't the best available play. Not a mistake to shoot

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It's just that in this case his opinion is 1 in I don't know what?
10,000, 100,000, a million?

If he was comparing player A to player B that is one thing but just coming out and saying that he'd rather not have him on the team is barely staying within the parameters of sanity.

I have definitely not been the only one saying about Ehlers going too often with blinders on. Some people here don’t seem to even realize it, but at the same time there are really a lot of them who also agree with me, at least on that. And anyway, what on earth proof it was anyways ever if most of the people agree on something, so that it automatically makes their opinion the absolute truth. I could really make even two drastic examples of this, but will after all not do it, as my point is not that anyone is stupid or wrong here. But this is how I see the game of hockey related to Ehlers. But I will definitely be hoping him to develop with the areas that I dislike in his game and make me anyway change my mind on him.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have definitely not been the only one saying about Ehlers going too often with blinders on. Some people here don’t seem to even realize it, but at the same time there are really a lot of them who also agree with me, at least on that. And anyway, what on earth proof it was anyways ever if most of the people agree on something, so that it automatically makes their opinion the absolute truth. I could really make even two drastic examples of this, but will after all not do it, as my point is not that anyone is stupid or wrong here. But this is how I see the game of hockey related to Ehlers. But I will definitely be hoping him to develop with the areas that I dislike in his game and make me anyway change my mind on him.

It's just your comment that the Jets would be better off without him? He's already acknowledged as one of the most dynamic players in the league. Hasn't finished his ELC and has already signed a below market value contract to stay with the team.
It would be like saying I don't like Laine's board battles and possession numbers so maybe it would be better for the team to not have him?

That's crazy talk.
You can have issues with his play style but to make it seem like he is a detriment to our team will get you ridiculed and laughed at.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
These infights over minor topics makes me sad. Personally I root for Ehlers and hope him great career. I don't subscribe that alleged selfishness (beyond any reasonable level considering his role in the team), and I feel good for fellow Danes they have their own star player (in fact I root for Danes in all international tournaments, if the game isn't against Finland)...

Danish WW2 Pilots | Danish Volunteers in the Winter War

Go Jets Go!

Nice sane, level headed and kind post which is probably why I can still read you.....refreshing and I thank you (not joking).

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It's just your comment that the Jets would be better off without him? He's already acknowledged as one of the most dynamic players in the league. Hasn't finished his ELC and has already signed a below market value contract to stay with the team.
It would be like saying I don't like Laine's board battles and possession numbers so maybe it would be better for the team to not have him?

That's crazy talk.
You can have issues with his play style but to make it seem like he is a detriment to our team will get you ridiculed and laughed at.
I think people are sometimes really overreacting on some comments here, just because they don’t exactly like the main point that someone makes.

I didn’t honestly say that Ehlers is just plain bad and completely useless to the Jets. But I pointed out that he does make deployment kind of more difficult, as there seems to be a really small amount of players that he seems to fit really well with. It doesn’t make it any easier that Laine has been so far pretty similar in this.

Also my point was that his linemates have pretty much so far suffered (especially latter half of last season and this season) from his blazing with blinders on. The problems have been really substantial on the 5 on 5 play during that time. And even having Wheeler or Perreault on the same line with him didn’t really change it to a lot better, at least last season. So far it has seemed to me that Ehlers is completely Scheifele dependant (which I admit definitely that Laine has been pretty much too).

And still my point with all this was that as the league has gone to this crazy overrating of speedster type of players, it could just be in that way much more useful to trade Ehlers, as most likely it would be possible to get very good return in a trade like that. It for sure didn’t mean that he is no use to the Jets as the player he is right now.

But if he will be a long term Jet, I just really hope he would use his speed and pretty good hands to become a great playmaker first of all. That is what the Jets are sorely missing really, as even Scheifele is not that much a pure playmaker, although he can be absolutely great with it.

I just don’t like the style that Ehlers has been playing with and especially the way that his development went from the beginning of last season to this season is something that doesn’t fit the Jets future needs in an optimal way. I still believe that by changing his approach to the game and using his speed better and more selectively, Ehlers could really become a much better playmaker, and that is what the Jets are absolutely needing at the moment.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Not sure where you read that?
The Moose last played on Dec-22nd.
Not sure if there was a practice after that but the AHL basically had a week off.
The Moose play today so he probably skated yesterday with them if not before that.

It could have been about the break then. But I also remember something said that it would be the same as throwing him in for the wolves and that doesn't make sense. They didn't recall him right after Scheifele's injury though which seemed weird and these combined I thought he himself was injured. Glad this wasn't the case and looks to be joining the team now. I truly hope he can stick and that Roslovic will slowly begin his transition as a center in the NHL so that we won't have to see another game of ELL.

Found this interesting though:

In Maurice’s interview he said to the Moose “give me your best right shot player”

He doesn't know who that is and/or lets Moose make decisions for him in regards to who gets a call in? Typically doesn't it come with the job to follow up on your guys in the AHL? Maybe he needs to make another phone call to confirm his natural position (yeah I know they'll probably try bring him in as a RW anyway especially with Tanev gone). :D

Phew, seems it's been warm around here of late.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So what? I never claimed that they were the same sizes. But the thing that they have together is that none of them are anyway particularly big players. I was just correcting the clear mistake that some people had made that I only liked big players and somehow automatically disliked smaller players.

I exactly just showed that I have very much liked players that have been really much smaller than Ehlers, and that Ehlers is anyway not really a small player. I brought up Connor only because he is the same size approximately that Ehlers is, and he also is quite a speedster. But I have liked his game much more, because to me he has still seemed much less speed dependant, and he has exactly been slowing the game down when it has been needed.

It’s great if you are a real speedster, but if you can’t use your speed more selectively you will exactly make it more difficult for the team to really benefit from your blazing speed. But ok, enough of commenting Ehlers at the moment. I do hope that he will find ways to control his speed in a smart way and use it to better benefit of his teammates. I just hope it will really happen.

You associated Connor with small players in your post. I was just clearing up the fact that Connor is not small. Not sure why that requires such a lengthy response.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think people are sometimes really overreacting on some comments here, just because they don’t exactly like the main point that someone makes.
Considering your ridiculous hot take regarding Ehlers, it doesn't surprise me that you think that people are overreacting to comments. I think the strong reaction against that hot take is perfectly reasonable.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I know I've beat this drum a couple times but how do we feel about 1st line Lowry until Chef comes back?

At least on the road.
Something like

Connor/Lowry/Wheeler
MP/Little/Laine
Ehlers/Copp or Roslo/Armia

Our 4th line is gonna be a 5-7 min a night dumpster fire no matter what at the moment.

With the 9 forwards above there are a few combinations that could probably give us 18 mins a night each. Leaving about 6 mins for the 4th line and not burning anyone out too hard.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I know I've beat this drum a couple times but how do we feel about 1st line Lowry until Chef comes back?

At least on the road.
Something like

Connor/Lowry/Wheeler
MP/Little/Laine

Our 4th line is gonna be a 5-7 min a night dumpster fire no matter what at the moment.

With the 9 forwards above there are a few combinations that could probably give us 18 mins a night each. Leaving about 6 mins for the 4th line and not burning anyone out too hard.

Teams are still gonna loon for a favorable matchup regardless. Not sure it would change much unless Mo wants Lowry running 15 or so minutes at even strength.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017

At least on the road.
Something like

Connor/Lowry/Wheeler
MP/Little/Laine

Dear god why you still prefer to put Laine and Little together? Do some of you even watch the games?

Reactions: Ippenator

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It could have been about the break then. But I also remember something said that it would be the same as throwing him in for the wolves and that doesn't make sense. They didn't recall him right after Scheifele's injury though which seemed weird and these combined I thought he himself was injured. Glad this wasn't the case and looks to be joining the team now. I truly hope he can stick and that Roslovic will slowly begin his transition as a center in the NHL so that we won't have to see another game of ELL.

Found this interesting though:

He doesn't know who that is and/or lets Moose make decisions for him in regards to who gets a call in? Typically doesn't it come with the job to follow up on your guys in the AHL? Maybe he needs to make another phone call to confirm his natural position (yeah I know they'll probably try bring him in as a RW anyway especially with Tanev gone). :D

That's how TNSE operates. Guys are put into positions and have input into the whole. Maurice would trust Vincent (who was his assistant couch for a couple seasons) and who happens to be spending everyday with the Moose players to have a pulse on who is most ready to step up to the next level. Not much different than Chevy being open about seeking Maurice's input on player moves.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I watch every single game.

If you'd notice who the left winger on that line is you'd probably understand why I'd have no problem.

The atrocity that is Laine/Little has been extremely overstated in my opinion.

Reactions: Gotaf7

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

I think you are taking that comment too literally. The Moose moved Roslovic to the right side for a bit because that was the most likely way he would make it up to the Jets sooner rather than later. I doubt that happens if the Jets were not seeing him as the next forward call up.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Teams are still gonna loon for a favorable matchup regardless. Not sure it would change much unless Mo wants Lowry running 15 or so minutes at even strength.

I have no problem with Lowry getting big minutes.

I'm afraid
Connor/Wheeler/Laine are going to get chewed up on the road.

I'm not convinced it would ever leave their own zone against a McDavid line in a Dzone faceoff.

If we had buff and Toby in the lineup I'd be less concerned but seriously

Connor/Wheeler/Laine
Myers/Kuli

As a 5 scares me a bit.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Considering your ridiculous hot take regarding Ehlers, it doesn't surprise me that you think that people are overreacting to comments. I think the strong reaction against that hot take is perfectly reasonable.
And I disagree with you, and life goes on again...

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I have no problem with Lowry getting big minutes.

I'm afraid
Connor/Wheeler/Laine are going to get chewed up on the road.

I'm not convinced it would ever leave their own zone against a McDavid line in a Dzone faceoff.

If we had buff and Toby in the lineup I'd be less concerned but seriously

Connor/Wheeler/Laine
Myers/Kuli

As a 5 scares me a bit.

Trouba/Morrissey will be stapled to McDavid. If Edm is putting out McDavid against CWL then Trouba/Morr. will be seeing the ice every time CWL is. I doubt you need to worry about that 5some against McDavid.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
And I disagree with you, and life goes on again...

Take my lead here and give me some input on what kind of line combos you'd like to see.

Considering we have a few injuries and some shiney new toys to play with maybe we can all veer this thread back to something a little more fun and up beat.

We know how you feel about Ehlers. 99 percent of us disagree. Life goes on.

The mods don't want to spend new year's day sifting through this bullshit.

Let's give them a break. :D

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Trouba/Morrissey will be stapled to McDavid. If Edm is putting out McDavid against CWL then Trouba/Morr. will be seeing the ice every time CWL is. I doubt you need to worry about that 5some against McDavid.

Not having last change can be a hell of a thing.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Not having last change can be a hell of a thing.

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but if Maurice doesn't want those 5 against McDavid, then don't put those 5 on the ice together. Edmonton can't force them to put Myers/Kuli with CWL.

Also Maurice has already said a couple times he will change lines for better road matchups. If Maurice doesn't like CWL versus McDavid, then he can switch Connor and Perreault, or Laine with Ehlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->