Line Combos: 1st vs. 2nd line - time to split up Ehlers - Little - Laine? Mod Warning Post #552

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lines were pretty good tonight, Tanev getting hurt threw things for a loop. Hendricks without Perreault scares me though, back to a 5-7 minute 4th I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
gotta say the cut across the slot move ehlers does is pure gold. seems he gets 2 or 3 "grade A" chances each game.

Yeah he had a great one in the first but for some reason he waited to pull the trigger until he got a worse angle. I don't get him sometimes. Looks good but makes bad decisions often...no wonder, kid is 21. He needs experience, skills are all there. He isn't a "thinker" like Laine but he has the tools to be and maturity can bring it on him.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Lines was really good tonight. Isn't it fun that it's first game and Laine had way more chemistry than whole season with Little. Keep it going Pate.

It was a joy to watch. Felt like Laine is almost utilized right. Just move him to left maybe, to get even more dangerous shots. There really is a chance this line will make waves as long as they all play their parts. Threat of Laines shot opens up the other two guys and that makes it hard to defend against. Almost makes you pick whether you allow Laine room to shoot or allow a 2 on 1 down low.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Glad to see that all the talk about chemistry many of us have heavily been criticising for the past 30+ games wasn't just a product of imagination. The CWL clicked sooooo much better than the ELL ever did in their first game together. The best part about it is that it can only get better as they forge more and more chemistry and can anticipate better how to find each other. Also for once, Laine's ability to create offence and those passes actually translated into the score board and he didn't have to be the one forcing himself to find a shooting position or watch and wait what happens when Ehlers to finishes one of his rounds. I think one of the main differences compared to the old ELL was that they were actually playing a simple productive passing game as opposed to individuals trying to force offence on their own. How or why Maurice willingly just ignored these problems for so long is something we'll never know. As for Connor, I think there's a very good potential for him to be the winger duo for Laine in the long run. He'll need to bulk up and get stronger but he seem capable of doing those small things on the ice as well as working in the boards and each one of those small victories increases the chance of puck ending in the net.

With another injury I'd like to see Roslovic finally brought in just to see if he's ready. Read something about him not skating for a few weeks but if it's just few weeks and not months, that's not so bad. The team needs to have other options than ELL once Scheifele comes back.

Simple quick passing is the key for gaining results and that was being displayed last night. Aside from the first couple of games, this was the first game in ages I was actually pleased of watching. May there be more to come.

Reactions: Asiantuntija

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I have not read any of this thread. We will sneak by home games. Thank baby jesus we have a lot of home games... I believe wheels can be a true center with our wicked wings with chef lits and lows. Hack the bone

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah he had a great one in the first but for some reason he waited to pull the trigger until he got a worse angle. I don't get him sometimes. Looks good but makes bad decisions often...no wonder, kid is 21. He needs experience, skills are all there. He isn't a "thinker" like Laine but he has the tools to be and maturity can bring it on him.

Yeah, plenty of time for him to grow his game.

I also like that he draws a ton of penalties with his speed. I think we have the tools to improve the PP to be absolutely devastating, which means that a player like Ehlers is very good to have in the roster.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
If Tanev is out, and with Maurice insisting on playing grampa Hendricks, our new 4th line will be eaten alive on the road where we don't get to match lines. Yeah, Matthias scored (while Lowry was on the ice), but there were a number of Hendricks shifts where those guys were a trainwreck defensively. Time to let Hendricks rest for a few games until there is better 4th line support to carry geritol man around for PoMo.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Thank God Laine got out of the black hole called ELL. But I do absolutely hate it that Scheifele had to get injured for it to happen. It could anyway be right away seen how much better Laine really is, when he can play with players he has chemistry with.

Honestly Maurice is simply an idiot with deployment. Still a horrible mistake is to keep even Little and Ehlers on the same line, as that duo together will make the line an offensive black hole, even when they get a great line driving player like Perreault with them.

Greedy Speedy is really a player that needs just specific players with him. He is not very much a team player and mostly is looking to shoot whenever he can, even when he clearly should pass. I would absolutely hate to play on the same line with a player like that, if I was a skilled top class player whom would like to play some smart and quick passing game.

Anyway, because of Maurice’s stupidity and Ehler’s bad passing and team play, there will be some pretty darn good players put into horribly unthankful situations. Perreault, Laine, Armia and even Little are all having some pretty undeserved treatment because of the Greedy Speedester. In addition to all he is definitely the worst Jet defensively. It is unbelievable that someone with such magnificent skating can be such an apalling forechecker for example. And the dude loses almost every single battle he goes into. Laine is immensely better in them, even if he himself should also develop himself a lot in them.

I have nothing otherwise against Ehlers, but I just immensely dislike his playing style. All my dislike towards him comes completely from how I have seen him play. Most of all I see him as a greedy player whom really doesn’t play much of good team play. In my opinion it would be the best thing for the Jets to trade him, at least unless he starts seriously turning into more of a team player. But that will not happen just like that. It will take probably still years, if it will ever happen. And if it seriously would take that long, it would be better to really trade him. As one of the best skaters in the whole NHL he could possibly give in return more than he would be worth of in reality.

And still to Ehlers fans. You are entitled to see him differently and disagree with me. No need to start a war here really. This is just how I honestly see him as a player at the moment, and I think that he unfortunately makes the Jets deployment more difficult than it should be. And of course we have Maurice..

This is as ridiculous as calling Laine one dimensional :shakehead just absolutely wrong. That greedy little player led the NHL in assists for a good portion of last season and has more assists than Laine on every level they've ever played. That must mean Laine is a selfish one dimensional shooter. Am I doing this correctly? If we are talking young Jets forwards Ehlers contributes to the team most out of anyone. Just look at the categories he leads the team in... everything from drawing penalties, zone entries to GWG's. Because he carries the puck a lot people will notice his every mistake but he has absolutely been one of the biggest contributors to this team this season.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Thank God Laine got out of the black hole called ELL. But I do absolutely hate it that Scheifele had to get injured for it to happen. It could anyway be right away seen how much better Laine really is, when he can play with players he has chemistry with.

Honestly Maurice is simply an idiot with deployment. Still a horrible mistake is to keep even Little and Ehlers on the same line, as that duo together will make the line an offensive black hole, even when they get a great line driving player like Perreault with them.

Greedy Speedy is really a player that needs just specific players with him. He is not very much a team player and mostly is looking to shoot whenever he can, even when he clearly should pass. I would absolutely hate to play on the same line with a player like that, if I was a skilled top class player whom would like to play some smart and quick passing game.

Anyway, because of Maurice’s stupidity and Ehler’s bad passing and team play, there will be some pretty darn good players put into horribly unthankful situations. Perreault, Laine, Armia and even Little are all having some pretty undeserved treatment because of the Greedy Speedester. In addition to all he is definitely the worst Jet defensively. It is unbelievable that someone with such magnificent skating can be such an apalling forechecker for example. And the dude loses almost every single battle he goes into. Laine is immensely better in them, even if he himself should also develop himself a lot in them.

I have nothing otherwise against Ehlers, but I just immensely dislike his playing style. All my dislike towards him comes completely from how I have seen him play. Most of all I see him as a greedy player whom really doesn’t play much of good team play. In my opinion it would be the best thing for the Jets to trade him, at least unless he starts seriously turning into more of a team player. But that will not happen just like that. It will take probably still years, if it will ever happen. And if it seriously would take that long, it would be better to really trade him. As one of the best skaters in the whole NHL he could possibly give in return more than he would be worth of in reality.

And still to Ehlers fans. You are entitled to see him differently and disagree with me. No need to start a war here really. This is just how I honestly see him as a player at the moment, and I think that he unfortunately makes the Jets deployment more difficult than it should be. And of course we have Maurice..
Finally Laine off Little and Ehlers line.. they have been feeding Him for Many games now But he cant score 5 on 5. he is a 1 trick pony.. can only score on PP.. he is sooo slow.. too slow and big for nhl Maybe we Should trade Him ;) Nothing against Laine but I just dont Like slow players.. the only thing he can is to Play PP.. lucky 2 point yesterday.. that line is all connor and Wheeler. Just amazing he cant win board battles with his big awkward body. Maybe trade Him for a good center... see what i did there? ;) 21..

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Finally Laine off Little and Ehlers line.. they have been feeding Him for Many games now But he cant score 5 on 5. he is a 1 trick pony.. can only score on PP.. he is sooo slow.. too slow and big for nhl Maybe we Should trade Him ;) Nothing against Laine but I just dont Like slow players.. the only thing he can is to Play PP.. lucky 2 point yesterday.. that line is all connor and Wheeler. Just amazing he cant win board battles with his big awkward body. Maybe trade Him for a good center... see what i did there? ;) 21..
Fine if you really believe in what you wrote. I just seriously doubt that is the case. And if it after all is, then nothing wrong about you sharing your opinion with us. Take care and just try to live with my sincere opinions about Ehlers. They are anyway just based on how I have seen him play for the last two seasons. Not based on me disliking his fans or wanting to get back at someone on something I didn’t like. I just don’t seriously believe that Ehlers is a too good piece for the Jets, at least at the moment. Maybe it will change if he stays st the Jets, but I’m sure it will be a several years taking project then.

Last edited:

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Fine if you really believe in what you wrote. I just seriously doubt that is the case. And if it after all is, then nothing wrong about you sharing your opinion with us. Take care and just try to live with my sincere opinions about Ehlers. They are anyway just based on how I have seen him play for the last two seasons.
Maybe there is Some truth to what I wrote Maybe not.. ;) 21 and 19 years old.. I guess they Will both Will be better...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It will take probably still years, if it will ever happen. And if it seriously would take that long, it would be better to really trade him. As one of the best skaters in the whole NHL he could possibly give in return more than he would be worth of in reality.

Woof. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't protect those opinions from critique, and quite frankly: your opinion regarding Ehlers is terrible.

Greedy player, who also finished in 3rd in assists on the team last year? Yes, very greedy. :facepalm:

Stunningly bad take on Ehlers.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
I hope the Danes and the Finns stop fighting and enjoy a special team that have players that bring something different from each player.

If you think this team is good now wait a couple of yrs they are just scratching the surface.

I am grateful to have both these player along with Morrisey, the farm league player Conner and all the ones that are improving on the Moose.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Fine if you really believe in what you wrote. I just seriously doubt that is the case. And if it after all is, then nothing wrong about you sharing your opinion with us. Take care and just try to live with my sincere opinions about Ehlers. They are anyway just based on how I have seen him play for the last two seasons. Not based on me disliking his fans or wanting to get back at someone on something I didn’t like. I just don’t seriously believe that Ehlers is a too good piece for the Jets, at least at the moment. Maybe it will change if he stays st the Jets, but I’m sure it will be a several years taking project then.

You’ve got to be screwing with us, right? :laugh:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I hope the Danes and the Finns stop fighting and enjoy a special team that have players that bring something different from each player.

If you think this team is good now wait a couple of yrs they are just scratching the surface.

I am grateful to have both these player along with Morrisey, the farm league player Conner and all the ones that are improving on the Moose.

I think we are all individuals, at least I think saying Danes and Finns are fighting is a bit of a reach :).

If Ippenator thinks this, that is his right. It's cool to have differing opinions so we can discuss them. His opinion is not one I share but these boards would be boring if we would all agree all the time.

I see Ehlers as an important core piece for the Jets because

1) If we can build one of the best PP's in the league, like we have the pieces to do, that creates incredible synergy with the play style of Ehlers who draws penalties with his speed.
2) He has strengths that we need, like zone-entries. Since Scheif is out, I would immediately put Ehlers to PP1 to compensate.

I do agree that there is a lot of room for improvement Ehlers' game, and I would prefer a coach that would try to use his imagination a bit more to see how his pieces can be used most effectively. Also, I would not be surprised if playing in the ELL line messed with Ehlers a bit. He may be hungry to show his worth and it shows with sub-optimal plays, when he should be more patient, or just pass the puck to make the "safe" play. These are things that can be fixed with time and coaching.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Woof. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't protect those opinions from critique, and quite frankly: your opinion regarding Ehlers is terrible.

Greedy player, who also finished in 3rd in assists on the team last year? Yes, very greedy. :facepalm:

@Ippenator
That's your take and you're sticking with it?

giphy.gif

You can have line combo debates all you want but every other team in the league would KILL to have Ehlers. I'm going to guess about 99% (maybe 98%) would disagree with your assessment.
You should have been watching the Jets in the early days. We could have iced a Mittens-Jokinen-Laine line or maybe a Cormier-Stapleton-Laine line. I think that would help you to appreciate Ehlers a bit more.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Read something about him not skating for a few weeks but if it's just few weeks and not months, that's not so bad. The team needs to have other options than ELL once Scheifele comes back.

Not sure where you read that?
The Moose last played on Dec-22nd.
Not sure if there was a practice after that but the AHL basically had a week off.
The Moose play today so he probably skated yesterday with them if not before that.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

What happened to him happened really during last season. He became seriously greedy and was passing less and less to his linemates the further the season went. Before that it was mostly problems with his vision at his full blazing speed. Which problem he still certainly has.

But during last season, I think what happened to him was that he noticed quite early in the season that his rookie linemate, whom is two years younger than him, started to score loads of goals and also taking most of the headlines, while Ehlers was completely snakebitten and couldn’t score from all the numerous magnificent chances that his linemates created for him.

At this time it started, he started seriously passing less and less to his linemates in obvious situations when you should really pass. And instead he has since that started shooting almost every time when he gets the puck in the offensive zone. He has an ok shot, but seriously not even close to that good that he should constantly been shooting so much, and especially as far away from the goal as he is doing. I mean seriously his shot is not close of that quality, although it’s definitely not a muffin either.

Honestly guys, I have nothing against the Danes. In fact their soccer national team has forever been my absolute favorite team, in soccer, and Laudrup brothers, Elkjaer, Arnesen and Smeichel are some of my all time soccer favorite players.

I just happen to dislike Ehlers simply because of his playing style. I just have never liked at all that type of players. Honestly he reminds me way too much of the past NHL player Maxim Afinogenov, a player whose playing style I just absolutely hated. A speedster with pretty darn good hands, but no vision and no knowledge of how to use his speed and hands to any other’s benefit than his own. Killed plays way too often with his lack of vision and bad team play attitude. I’m talking about the Afinogenov in the NHL, not about how he has been since that in the KHL, as I haven’t been following his career there.

Oh, and it is simply a bit silly referring to some assist amount from the previous season, when most of his assists came through playing with one of the best goal scorers in the whole NHL and their magnificent playmaking center creating most of the prime scoring chances. Sure Ehlers did his part with working well for some rushing and his blazing speed there, but to think that most of his assist total became really from a lot of his great playmaking and unselfish play, is just simply statswatching and neglecting what has really happened inside the games.

If many of you like the speedsters like Ehlers, it’s fine for me, but I am still pointing out how I see hockey, and how Ehlers is at the moment as a player is something that I honestly don’t find as a good thing for a team like the Jets. I do hope that if he will be staying as a Jet for a long time, that he will then seriously learn to slow down the play better, and not be going so much with full speed that leads most of the time into him losing his vision and shooting the puck without any good results. If he will start seriously using his speed to create r his teammates and not try doing it just for himself, I will gladly change my mind on him. So far I haven’t just seen too much reasons for it.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Oh and maybe to make some people’s understand better where I’m coming from, still an example from pro soccer. I absolutely dislike players like Lionel Messi, even though he definitely does have even good vision. But just never liked those flea sized dribblers, as they are anyways and constantly rolling and crying on the grass. Give me any day prime Ibrahimovic over a Messi or even a primadonna Ronaldo, and I’ll be simply happy.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
What happened to him happened really during last season. He became seriously greedy and was passing less and less to his linemates the further the season went. Before that it was mostly problems with his vision at his full blazing speed. Which problem he still certainly has.

But during last season, I think what happened to him was that he noticed quite early in the season that his rookie linemate, whom is two years younger than him, started to score loads of goals and also taking most of the headlines, while Ehlers was completely snakebitten and couldn’t score from all the numerous magnificent chances that his linemates created for him.

At this time it started, he started seriously passing less and less to his linemates in obvious situations when you should really pass. And instead he has since that started shooting almost every time when he gets the puck in the offensive zone. He has an ok shot, but seriously not even close to that good that he should constantly been shooting so much, and especially as far away from the goal as he is doing. I mean seriously his shot is not close of that quality, although it’s definitely not a muffin either.

Honestly guys, I have nothing against the Danes. In fact their soccer national team has forever been my absolute favorite team, in soccer, and Laudrup brothers, Elkjaer, Arnesen and Smeichel are some of my all time soccer favorite players.

I just happen to dislike Ehlers simply because of his playing style. I just have never liked at all that type of players. Honestly he reminds me way too much of the past NHL player Maxim Afinogenov, a player whose playing style I just absolutely hated. A speedster with pretty darn good hands, but no vision and no knowledge of how to use his speed and hands to any other’s benefit than his own. Killed plays way too often with his lack of vision and bad team play attitude. I’m talking about the Afinogenov in the NHL, not about how he has been since that in the KHL, as I haven’t been following his career there.

Oh, and it is simply a bit silly referring to some assist amount from the previous season, when most of his assists came through playing with one of the best goal scorers in the whole NHL and their magnificent playmaking center creating most of the prime scoring chances. Sure Ehlers did his part with working well for some rushing and his blazing speed there, but to think that most of his assist total became really from a lot of his great playmaking and unselfish play, is just simply statswatching and neglecting what has really happened inside the games.

If many of you like the speedsters like Ehlers, it’s fine for me, but I am still pointing out how I see hockey, and how Ehlers is at the moment as a player is something that I honestly don’t find as a good thing for a team like the Jets. I do hope that if he will be staying as a Jet for a long time, that he will then seriously learn to slow down the play better, and not be going so much with full speed that leads most of the time into him losing his vision and shooting the puck without any good results. If he will start seriously using his speed to create r his teammates and not try doing it just for himself, I will gladly change my mind on him. So far I haven’t just seen too much reasons for it.

1. Welcome to HF Darryl Sutter.
2. 2nd on the team in goals.
3. Think before you speak, this is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard as there's legitimately nothing selfish about Ehlers. Guy is pass-first and signed a well below market value deal. Absolutely a crucial part of this core.

Edit: I see you also don't like the best player in soccer history because he's small and has mad skills. I guess the numbers him and Ehlers put up mean nothing.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Just wow.

Ehlers is a product of Laine and Scheifele now? That argument is reserved for Leafs fans, dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad