Line Combos: 1st vs. 2nd line - time to split up Ehlers - Little - Laine? Mod Warning Post #552

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I don't think Ehlers is greedy, but I do think he lacks vision currently to make those passing plays (they are for sure tough to do while breaking mach 3). It is true that if you try to think of a real playmaker's play from Ehlers, it is tough to do. I don't think it is because of greed, I think it is because of lack of vision.

Enough repetition, good chemistry with line-mates, and some pre-made set plays can turn Ehlers into a real beast. He has the tools, he just needs to get it together.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Can we stop hyperventilating about someones opinion on Ehlers? Even if we don't agree with him, he has stated his reasons and we aren't going to change his mind by arguing. Ehlers might do it by playing.

Reactions: Calendal

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Just wow.

Ehlers is a product of Laine and Scheifele now? That argument is reserved for Leafs fans, dude.

Strawman of the year? C'mon dude.

It's not a strawman when it's explicitly stated in a post:

Oh, and it is simply a bit silly referring to some assist amount from the previous season, when most of his assists came through playing with one of the best goal scorers in the whole NHL and their magnificent playmaking center creating most of the prime scoring chances.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
It's not a strawman when it's explicitly stated in a post:

Most of Ehlers' assist coming from the Scheif+Laine combo last year does not equate to Ehlers being the product of Scheifele and Ehlers, not even close. Maybe it's not the strawman of the year but it's at least the strawman of the month.

Do you think those articles about Scheif and Laine just forgot about Ehlers? Probably not.

Expressing a personal opinion should be fine, and it should be taken as such.

Reactions: Ippenator

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Most of Ehlers' assist coming from the Scheif+Laine combo last year does not equate to Ehlers being the product of Scheifele and Ehlers, not even close. Maybe it's not the strawman of the year but it's at least the strawman of the month.

If most of his assists were due to Laine and Scheifele, it stands to reason that he's a product of those two. It's inferred very heavily, and thus not a strawman to draw that conclusion.

Reactions: Duke749

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Can we stop hyperventilating about someones opinion on Ehlers? Even if we don't agree with him, he has stated his reasons and we aren't going to change his mind by arguing. Ehlers might do it by playing.
Really???? From the guy that will make 100 posts any time anything negative is said about Laine.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
If most of his assists were due to Laine and Scheifele, it stands to reason that he's a product of those two. It's inferred very heavily, and thus not a strawman to draw that conclusion.

Goals are part of the game too. If you draw that conclusion from Ippenator's post, that is a subjective interpretation and not what he said.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Oh, and it is simply a bit silly referring to some assist amount from the previous season, when most of his assists came through playing with one of the best goal scorers in the whole NHL and their magnificent playmaking center creating most of the prime scoring chances. Sure Ehlers did his part with working well for some rushing and his blazing speed there, but to think that most of his assist total became really from a lot of his great playmaking and unselfish play, is just simply statswatching and neglecting what has really happened inside the games.
It is exactly what he inferred through his words. Ehlers assists came from the ‘best goal’ scorer and ‘their magnificent playmaking center’ creating the ‘prime scoring chances’. He is stating that Ehlers rode their coat tails, getting fortunate to receive secondary assists. Which is a total joke.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Goals are part of the game too. If you draw that conclusion from Ippenator's post, that is a subjective interpretation and not what he said.
If you strictly go by what is said, you will miss an awful lot.

"Oh, and it is simply a bit silly referring to some assist amount from the previous season, when most of his assists came through playing with one of the best goal scorers in the whole NHL and their magnificent playmaking center creating most of the prime scoring chances."

This is simply an attempt of disregarding the good impact Ehlers has had by suggesting that his linemates' effect on his assist totals was substantial. As others have rightfully said, it is an absolute joke of an opinion and something an objective poster would not say. If someone suggested that Laine's goal totals were mainly a result of him playing with that same elite playmaking C and another great playmaking winger, people would be calling for that poster's head.

Reactions: DiggerD

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
One billion posts!
As you feel the need to reply to ludicrous comments about Laine, many will feel the need to reply to equally ludicrous comments about other Jets. The comments the poster made about Ehlers are some of the most ridiculous I have seen in the past 5 years

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
In no way did he make a ‘straw man’ argument. He showed the exact quote of Ippenator, and in no way misrepresented his opinion or post. The inference is clear as day, and there is no fact to the argument. In no way did Ehlers ride their backs with mostly secondary assists

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
As you feel the need to reply to ludicrous comments about Laine, many will feel the need to reply to equally ludicrous comments about other Jets. The comments the poster made about Ehlers are some of the most ridiculous I have seen in the past 5 years

Yes it's fine to reply to it and argue his points but what's the point of going on about it after that? Voice your disagreement and offer your arguments, if that doesn't change his mind then too bad, hopefully Ehlers will show him the light at some point. I doubt it because it seems to be a size related dislike. As weird as that might sound to us, at least he has offered his reasons.

Reactions: Ippenator

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
"Oh, and it is simply a bit silly referring to some assist amount from the previous season, when most of his assists came through playing with one of the best goal scorers in the whole NHL and their magnificent playmaking center creating most of the prime scoring chances. Sure Ehlers did his part with working well for some rushing and his blazing speed there, but to think that most of his assist total became really from a lot of his great playmaking and unselfish play, is just simply statswatching and neglecting what has really happened inside the games."

Ippenator is talking about Ehlers' assists and 'doing his part'. Nowhere is goalscoring mentioned for example.

In no known universe does that equate to Ehlers being the product of Scheif and Laine.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think everyone here knows why Ehlers gets hate from a specific group of people here, it has nothing to do with size, nor does it have anything to do with his play on ice being bad. We all deep down know why it is, I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Enough. If you look really closely, you may notice that this is NOT a dedicated Laine thread. It is perfectly within the rules to discuss perceived bias against Ehlers in this thread.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I think everyone here knows why Ehlers gets hate from a specific group of people here, it has nothing to do with size, nor does it have anything to do with his play on ice being bad. We all deep down know why it is, I'll just leave it at that.

He was very clear about what he disliked in Ehlers and other players he considers similar. Why do you need to invent an ulterior motive like you know better than he does why he doesn't like Ehlers?

This sort of insinuation is what drags down these threads. And you immediately got a bunch of likes for it which is sad.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If you find yourself constantly annoyed by what a certain poster is posting, use the ignore function. It is likely to come in very handy, especially in this thread.

Reactions: ps241

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Oh and maybe to make some people’s understand better where I’m coming from, still an example from pro soccer. I absolutely dislike players like Lionel Messi, even though he definitely does have even good vision. But just never liked those flea sized dribblers, as they are anyways and constantly rolling and crying on the grass. Give me any day prime Ibrahimovic over a Messi or even a primadonna Ronaldo, and I’ll be simply happy.
And I absolutely dislike players that are tall and slow and can only Play PP ;) but you Know what ? I absolutely LOVE Laine Because he is a Winnipeg Jets and a big part of this team future succes!!

Reactions: Romang67

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yes it's fine to reply to it and argue his points but what's the point of going on about it after that? Voice your disagreement and offer your arguments, if that doesn't change his mind then too bad, hopefully Ehlers will show him the light at some point. I doubt it because it seems to be a size related dislike. As weird as that might sound to us, at least he has offered his reasons.
I think you otherwise understood pretty well how I see Ehlers, but I think you still misinterpreted my probably quite unclear explanation of how I dislike Messi in soccer compared to prime Ibrahimovic. My point wasn’t exactly that I necessarily dislike small players. It was just about Messi’s play style and then using his small size as a tool for getting penalties to opponents by falling, rolling and crying enough.

Some of my all time favorite players have been Theo Fleury, Martin St. Louis and Saku Koivu, and at the moment, I have the highest admiration towards Johnny Hockey and Mats Zuccarello. And of the Jets players I like Kyle Connor and his style of play much, much more than Ehlers’s.

It is still the stylistic, and too much speed oriented aspect of Ehler’s game that I very much dislike. Some people even here have blamed Laine a one trick pony, but to me honestly, if anyone of the Jets is by any means a one trick pony, it is Ehlers. But I do promise that I’m willing to change my opinion on Ehlers if he ever starts changing his style so that he would use less constant blazing and get more vision on what his teammates are really doing and start playing more of a thinking man’s game. I just really dislike his speed dependency and how he doesn’t use it much really for the true benefit of his teammates. This is how I see it at the moment, and even how strongly some of you are against my opinions, they will not change until Ehlers himself shows that there is a reason to change those opinions. Some of you guys truly don’t seem to understand what opinions mean and that all of us are allowed to have them, even how outrageous other people’s opinions might feel to ourselves.

I think the personal attack’s really should stop, and this is why I myself will definitely take care that I also will not do them by any means either.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Really???? From the guy that will make 100 posts any time anything negative is said about Laine.
He happens to argue with some well made points then. You might even disagree with them, but at least he is not attacking the posters, just making counter arguments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad