Post-Game Talk: 1st place hockey

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure if anyone noticed but when Sheahan scored that empty net goal, Archibald could have passed it to McDavid then McD to Sheahan. That would've given McD another point. Archibald was plain stupid there. If McDavid misses the Art Ross by a point, that missed point is pretty much the dagger.

Of all things to complain about on the planet this one is way down the list

Having our 3rd and 4th liners get pts and confidence is more important

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tonight was a prime example of what I was talking about earlier in the season. Our bottom 6 was somehow scoring less than our bottom 6 last year, and everyone was talking about how we couldn’t be good this year because we were counting on McDrai and the goalies to win us every game. But everyone ignored the fact that our bottom 6 had actual NHL calibre players, and they just couldn’t seem to put the puck in the net. It’s now turned, and those guys are scoring like they should. Chiasson should get 30 points, while Sheahan, Archibald, Gagner, and Nygard should all hit 20+. Not bad for having to ignore the top 6 calibre free agents and go after a bunch of bargain signings

Not everybody. In the offseason I liked the quiet Archibald, Sheahan, Haas, Jurco additions and felt these guys could play. More the case I thought they could play with pace and play different roles. Also commented that its harder for a team to gell with so many new faces on it and that it takes time.

But the absolute gift is that McDrai held the team up while it found its legs. That is massive.
At start of season I felt this club would challenge for a playoff spot and while my faith wavered during the McDrai sheer exhaustion phase it looks like the team got back on its legs again. Its hard turning things around and the club managed to do that, and credit to them. Took a lot of work to get back on the winning track and probably uniting the team.

Holland has done quite a job improving this club in one offseason. More than Chia ever did. From Neal, to Smith, to the cheap adds, almost masterful job.

Reactions: Anarchism

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I think Kuemper masked a lot of issues in Arizona. You can't expect to get get .940 goaltending all year.

Reactions: Aerchon

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Not sure if anyone noticed but when Sheahan scored that empty net goal, Archibald could have passed it to McDavid then McD to Sheahan. That would've given McD another point. Archibald was plain stupid there. If McDavid misses the Art Ross by a point, that missed point is pretty much the dagger.

He passed to the open player. The open player then scored. Seems pretty smart to me

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He passed to the open player. The open player then scored. Seems pretty smart to me

I’m more upset he didn’t pass it to McDavid who then should have passed it to Leon who then should have passed it back to Smith who then should have shot the puck into the open net for a goalie goal. f***in Oilers.....:ha: :sarcasm:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Top of the morning to you lads. We’re first!!!!! Beautiful!!!

and no I’m not Irish. Just felt right to say.
We aren't. VAN is.
Considering our schedule we won't be first anytime soon again.
We will have a hill to climb just to get back into a wildcard spot when we start playing again.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hall is more like Tavares. Very good player but you don't build your team around them or sign them to big bucks. They should be your 2nd or 3rd best player if you want your team going anywhere

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hall is more like Tavares. Very good player but you don't build your team around them or sign them to big bucks. They should be your 2nd or 3rd best player if you want your team going anywhere

I was on the fence on if we should pursue Hall.

After watching Hall in that game I'm firmly in the avoid Hall at all costs.

He is pure chaos to both his own team and the opponents. Easily as much bad as good for any team he has played for.

The money/assets it would take to get Hall are absolutely NOT worth it.

Reactions: TKB21 and ujju2

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I was on the fence on if we should pursue Hall.

After watching Hall in that game I'm firmly in the avoid Hall at all costs.

He is pure chaos to both his own team and the opponents. Easily as much bad as good for any team he has played for.

The money/assets it would take to get Hall are absolutely NOT worth it.
I thought they should, but with Drai and McD, he would only be a complimentary player.
Still very valuable, but probably only worth the $7M max on any team. No way he should be paid more than Drai.
I still think the Oilers could get him at a bit of a discount if he buys in to this and really wants to pursue a cup at some point instead of just revolving around the league.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
We aren't. VAN is.
We will have a hill to climb just to get back into a wildcard spot when we start playing again.
Ya I just saw they won. Brutal. But oilers have been playing really good lately. Actually this break kind of sucks. Hopefully it doesn’t slow down our momentum.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Ya I just saw they won. Brutal. But oilers have been playing really good lately. Actually this break kind of sucks. Hopefully it doesn’t slow down our momentum.

The fact that our first game back should very likely be a fairly tense and brutal game due to Kassian/Tkachuk, I don’t think we need to worry about the team not being in it right after the break. Could actually be a very good thing it all played out like this in the long run, even though it was a bunch of BS.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The fact that our first game back should very likely be a fairly tense and brutal game due to Kassian/Tkachuk, I don’t think we need to worry about the team not being in it right after the break. Could actually be a very good thing it all played out like this in the long run, even though it was a bunch of BS.
Especially that we lost both games against them recently. Hopefully this team comes out hungry. That has really been the only flaw in our play the last 6 games. Until yesterday we haven’t done well in the division lately. Lost to Vancouver and then to Calgary twice.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
We aren't. VAN is.

What the heck are you talking about? We are tied with Calgary, Vegas and Arizona, but have the tiebreaker on all of them. Also, we have a game in hand on Calgary, and 2 each on Vegas and Arizona. Have equal number of games played as the Canucks. The Coyotes don't play again until we do, so we will be going into that day ahead of them on tiebreaker. In the meantime, Vegas has to play Boston, and Calgary plays the Blues. Worst case, we are 2 back of them with 2 and 3 games in hand.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Right now Edmonton and Vancouver look like the best teams in the division. Oilers will be in a great position to solidify a playoff spot in February if they can win some key 4pt games against the Flames, Yotes, Hawks and Knights.

This game really showed that goaltending is a massive factor in the NHL.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
It's that kind of overthinking that has us missing empty nets. Be selfish and close out the game!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's that kind of overthinking that has us missing empty nets. Be selfish and close out the game!

From the posting record I doubt that is even an Oilers fan. every post is microcritiquing something.

I mean who would honestly critique a guy finishing off an empty net goal with a very nice shot? McD would be the first to high five the guy for the no nonsense finish on the play.

Nor would McD be the type that is even remotely reliant on such things as empty net points. Wouldn't surprise me if hits a different gear after the break. Guys like Mackinnon, Marchand, Pasta, they usually hit a wall. The only ones that can push would be Drai or Panarin imo. But if McD continues to be healthy he walks the Art Ross home. Even though he had no offseason hockey training due to his injury.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
For the first 25 minutes of this game (and parts of the last 35) the Oilers were a complete menace to the yotes. Hard,constant attack and pressure and took adv of every chance. They sat back a bit when it was 5-0 but did enough to make sure the yotes never got into it and they got the regulation win. I'll take that ever day of the week and twice on Sundays. Smith was good when he needed to be and gave us a chance. I'd start him after the break.

All this Hall talk. I feel like Hall could and probably should take a 1 year 5mil contract with a team. With a contender. Prove he's not a player that makes his team worse. Get that typecast removed. It could def be with the Oilers if he takes something like that.

Reactions: Aerchon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
For the first 25 minutes of this game (and parts of the last 35) the Oilers were a complete menace to the yotes. Hard,constant attack and pressure and took adv of every chance. They sat back a bit when it was 5-0 but did enough to make sure the yotes never got into it and they got the regulation win. I'll take that ever day of the week and twice on Sundays. Smith was good when he needed to be and gave us a chance. I'd start him after the break.

All this Hall talk. I feel like Hall could and probably should take a 1 year 5mil contract with a team. With a contender. Prove he's not a player that makes his team worse. Get that typecast removed. It could def be with the Oilers if he takes something like that.
If I'm Hall and my agent suggests I take a one year 5 million dollar deal, I fire him before the words finish coming out of his mouth.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hall is not worth $6 mill a year. And he will probably get 8-10 million in free agency

not sure why we are still discussing him..

Reactions: nally

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
We aren't. VAN is.

pb2Ie8.gif

Reactions: McXLNC97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad