Post-Game Talk: 1st place hockey

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I don't see a citation for the bolded but in anycase this is the McLellan who also called out Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski in SJ and subsequently lost the bench, the playoffs, (first round) and lost his job soon enough after. A coach who came here and quipped the infamous "Draisaitl only skates for himself" poorly worded narrative which McLellan subsequently had to re-explain multiple times as it was never clear what he meant.

The reality is McLellan wasn't that great a coach anywhere, and a guy that was a useless sod of a player sure had no qualms in his mind of calling out players that are in a different world than him skill wise and that are much better players than McLellan is as a coach.

Indeed this is one of problems in pro sports (particularly NHL) that coaches are often doofuses hired by dumb orgs and hired on faulty basis because somebody thinks a certain approach might be good or is in vogue. So that it becomes a players regular plight to try to survive or endure dumb or incompetent coaches. My sympathy lies with top players that had to devote decades of their life to get as good as they are. In contrast a lot of very ordinary Ex players just fall into coaching for something to do, for a pay cheque and a continuance of hockey life. A lot of these guys are 7-8 D that barely ever got on the ice or Bottom of bottom forwards that barely knew what a puck was, they never saw it on their blade..
i'm sure i posted this like a dozen times but here....

pretty much replace singletary with oilers coaches and davis with hall in hockey context and it's pretty bang on....

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
i'm sure i posted this like a dozen times but here....

pretty much replace singletary with oilers coaches and davis with hall in hockey context and it's pretty bang on....

Except Hall was a winner until he joined the Oilers circus. He was one of the few players to give it his all on some horrific Oilers teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad