Post-Game Talk: 1st place hockey

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not sure if anyone noticed but when Sheahan scored that empty net goal, Archibald could have passed it to McDavid then McD to Sheahan. That would've given McD another point. Archibald was plain stupid there. If McDavid misses the Art Ross by a point, that missed point is pretty much the dagger.
Huh?
This team burns themselves every single time they have an empty net because they screw around trying to get everybody in on the play before they put the puck in the empty net and end up not scoring. They’ve even given up goals because of it. Finally a player doesn’t screw around and actually shoots the puck at the net the first chance he gets and you’re whining about McDavid not getting a point? Just stop.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
when Taylor Hall can lead his team in playoff scoring on his way to a Cup, then we get start making comparisons
when Taylor Hall has 6 30-goal campaigns instead of 1, then we can start making comparisons

all we ever hear is "Hallsy needs some talent to flourish!" and Shero has two other #1 overall's around him, brought in a Norris trophy defenseman, and still couldn't get it done

now gets traded to Arizona on a winning team and now the excuses are "the starter has gone down!"...Raanta is no slouch either, he has a .912 save% despite today's bad game

This is ridiculous. Subban, Hischier, and Hughes haven't done anything at all

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Keep fighting the good fight buddy.:thumbu: Garbage teams or not, he doesn’t do anything to make them better. That’s not the type of player you heavily invest in.
He does though. In his MVP season he put the Devils on his back and took them to the playoffs.

I'm not saying that we need to sign him, but his shortcomings are getting blown out of proportion.

Reactions: Aerrol

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
NJ made the playoffs his MVP year.
Once. If he can do it again, then let’s start talking about him being that player, but at this point that season is the anomaly in his career. Not saying he’s had a bad career by any stretch, but one year can’t be used as the gauge of a player.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
If I'm Hall and my agent suggests I take a one year 5 million dollar deal, I fire him before the words finish coming out of his mouth.

If he is in it for the money, for sure. If he actually wants to win something in the NHL, then maybe he considers it. More than likely the teams that will give him big money and term won't win anything over the course of that term. A 1 year prove something contract could net him a larger payday on his follow up.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
NJ made the playoffs his MVP year.
I don’t get the logic of bringing up the one good season he’s had and using it as a marker for what he really is while ignoring the several disappointing seasons that have surrounded it. When he isn’t having an MVP type season it becomes a disaster across the board for the team he’s playing on. His fault or not doesn’t really matter to me, it keeps happening to him. Hard to think he doesn’t play a part in it.

Reactions: HK97

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don’t get the logic of bringing up the one good season he’s had and using it as a marker for what he really is while ignoring the several disappointing seasons that have surrounded it. When he isn’t having an MVP type season it becomes a disaster across the board for the team he’s playing on. His fault or not doesn’t really matter to me, it keeps happening to him. Hard to think he doesn’t play a part in it.

Oilers never became good after Hall left. They even got McDavid + Draisaitl and mustered 1 good season (could be 2 if this year goes well). We can watch NJs record pre/during/ and now post Hall. If their record declines over the coming months/year, then its a pretty safe assumption the teams were junk he was on.

I am actually interested to see how the rest of the this season and next season plays out for him and whatever team hes on (plus NJ). It was hard to compare Edmonton post Hall because right after he left, they got full healthy seasons of McDavid. So any improvement (or lack thereof) gets muddied between the impact of Hall departure and McDavid's arrival. NJ wont have that issue, as they have no player near the caliber of Mcdavid coming in. Even LD they dont have a player nearly close

Reactions: Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ok so how does them failing become Hall's fault?

If anything, that just improves the look of his MVP season where he willed an even worse team to the playoffs. But again, Ill compare NJs next 80 games to how they were doing pre trade and see the impact

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I’m more upset he didn’t pass it to McDavid who then should have passed it to Leon who then should have passed it back to Smith who then should have shot the puck into the open net for a goalie goal. ****in Oilers.....:ha: :sarcasm:

LIKE!
(Got slapped - no like button. Feel like I'm finally accepted on HF!)

Oct 15, 2008

You said he doesn’t do anything to make his team better. Hard to do more than win the league mvp. If that never happened you would have a cogent argument instead of a yabut.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think for me the reality is that Hall is simply not worth Draisaitl money.
He will get that (or maybe more) somewhere...I just hope to hell it isnt with this team.

Reactions: MessierII

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Agreed with you. Offensively we are more than good enough. Mike Smith has also been fantastic lately so I don’t think a goalie is super needed. But I find it funny, when I said Price I was laughed at. And yet, people want Hall....
I would approve of Price, no question and you know that. The thing for me with Hall is that in this league you can’t come ‘home’. I’m not sure it ever really works. I honestly can’t think of an example where a guy leaves, comes back, and outdoes what he previously accomplished or even meets expectations. Messier went back to New York, we got Anderson and Lowe back, in no scenario was it a success. I’d be curious if someone could point out a scenario where it was actually worthwhile for a retread... Anyone?

Reactions: tardigrade81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad