Post-Game Talk: 1st place hockey

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Weren't there some posters in the pre-game, that were saying, "Oh no, looks like Arizona got one of their injured pieces back in Raanta, look out!" As it turns out, ......it turned out.

The “injured returning player curse” is far weaker than the “back-up goalie curse”.

Guaranteed, if Hill starts this game it’s a 4-0 win for the Coyotes.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Great win by the team.

We are so much more dangerous with 2 lines going. Then add in the Sheahan line going and getting contributions from all over the roster, Arizona didnt match up very well with the Oilers today. Raanta was so bad in this game.

I've always been a fan of Yamamoto, but his last 2 training camps didnt leave me with a strong feeling he was going to be a NHL'er because he just got erased too easily on too many plays, I didnt think he could create much space for himself. I am happy to be proved wrong, love the player, he is just everywhere on the ice, lots of hustle, disrupting a lot of plays, making plays of his own. Needs to get a bit more selfish and not defer, but loving him since his call up. I think many of us, just need to cool our jets on some of our prospects and not get so high/low on them. Bear and Yamamoto who didnt look like difference makers last year deserve a lot of credit for the way the team has played or is playing this year.

I've like Archibald all season even when he wasnt contributing. Hes just more awesome now that he is, I doubt theres many fans who dont love he guy and the way he plays. Sheahan has been solid all year. Hopefully Holland locks these guys up on reasonable deals.

I love the way that Smith battles, but he sure lets in a lot of saveable goals. I hope Koskinen gets some rest and gets dialed in because I think we are going to need to rely on him down the stretch.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I would honestly say, look bud, we will give you 7 tops. You want to help McDavid and Drai win and have some fun? Take it or leave it.

Give him a fast deadline as well so we aren't big whale hunting
I know that there are specific threads for this but I agree. He should be paid for his current production. 7 mill might be too much imo.

Reactions: nally

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Just saying that if this club is even in the playoff race down the line they are making it. I just feel that McDrai play best when its all on the line. Particularly with Drai he always plays best when he doesn't have to save it for other times. He's a strong finisher and playoff performer imo. In early or mid season his game can have some doldrums when he knows there is still a ton of hockey to be played.
Agreed but it would definitely be nice to shore up the 3rd line center role and perhaps a little more depth on D. If Holland could somehow unload Gagner and Chiasson and improve the team, he wins my best GM of the universe award especially after getting rid of Loooooch. Neal looked like he was skating in cement tonight, could upgrade there too although I highly doubt it. I think the top line winger can and probably will be solved in the offseason, maybe Hall ;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
He doesn't provide leadership or stability. The reason why his team has been better than NJ this year is because they have better players and Eichel is a better hockey player on the ice than Taylor Hall.
Well hard to say. The devils are a straight up bad team, and he was a leading scorer a couple years ago. I wouldn’t say Hall is the type of player that can take a team on his shoulders but hey... Mcdavid didn’t last year either. Surround Hall with even the slight bit of a talent and he’s a player everyone wants. His skills and his love for the game are what any coach, and management want.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That was not bad at all.

upload_2020-1-18_21-9-30.png
upload_2020-1-18_21-10-9.png
upload_2020-1-18_21-10-30.png

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Its amazing to think that the Devils would be a better club if Subban never got off the plane. What a tirefire. His game has just disappeared.

He’s a d-man that relies on his pace to keep him in position.

However, father time comes for us all and he’s clearly lost a step but hasn’t changed the way he plays, hence why he’s terrible now.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Gotta give Tippet and Co a ton of credit for putting together these lines. It has given balanced scoring which for years has been impossible to get.

Reactions: Aerchon

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Once they get Benning/Benson/Persson into the lineup... this team will be back to the 100 pt pace they should be on for this season... slowly getting back to there.

When we play hard and compete heavily on the forecheck like we did today, we’ll be just fine and well positioned to make the playoffs.

Having two legit top 6 lines has been a revelation. I get excited when Nuge-Drai-Yamo hop on the ice as well as McDavids line.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Once they get Benning/Benson/Persson into the lineup... this team will be back to the 100 pt pace they should be on for this season... slowly getting back to there.
Benning will help a bit for sure, Benson most likely get a 5/6 game cup and then back to work on a few things, Persson not learning D zone very quickly...

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
When we play hard and compete heavily on the forecheck like we did today, we’ll be just fine and well positioned to make the playoffs.

Having two legit top 6 lines has been a revelation. I get excited when Nuge-Drai-Yamo hop on the ice as well as McDavids line.
The need to split them has been obvious for more than a year ....we didnt have the wingers and really still dont.....Yamo hopefully reduces this need by 1 but really depending on what we get for 1LW ,,,Kass not really a top 6 guy either...but serviceable....

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Excellent work by the boys this afternoon! Now they should be motivated to send the Flames back into hell where they belong. :mad:I know it's early... But could we be entering "The Roaring 20s" and leaving the "Decade Plus of Darkness?"

*knocks on wood

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You have to wonder if Benson could be the final piece eventually.
Be nice to to give up much and get benson to fit in like yano has.

I and a few others have been saying that all season long... there's players within this org that will take this team over the top.

There's a fine line between an underachieving/overachieving team and this team will be a playoff team with guys like Benson/Benning/Persson/Lagesson in the lineup.

Even Marody (who most don't think is any good any longer) has the hunger and spark to propel this team towards a ~100 pt season and playoffs.

Not a coincidence when guys like Khaira and Granlund are out... the team does better with the players that replace them.

Absolutely another few key pieces like Benson/Benning/Persson will give this team more depth and players that simply play well in their roles... making this team more than the sum of its parts.

Holland and Tippett eventually will "get it" even though they've been a little slow on the uptake... but once they see and realize which players actually deserve roster spots... this team is a playoff team with ~100 pts.... (or even more if they outperform).

Reactions: Senor Catface

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Regarding all the Hall talk, I certainly do feel bad for him. Not a fan of analyzing body language, but come on, the look on his face after he scored said it all. I certainly wouldn't mind having him back, but at the same time, looking at our cap situation, long-term that would likely cost us RNH. That's not a price I'd pay. I think RNH is a far more valuable piece on this team than Hall could be. Honestly I think our forward core (top 6) is set for the foreseeable future with the exception of Benson.

But anyways, enough talk about opposing players, let's get some more love for Archibald and Sheahan. You know your team is rolling when your 4C has a 4 point night. Credit to Tippett as well. And Bear. And Nurse, and basically everyone who played tonight (including the guy we all want out of the lineup, Gagner, who scored today). Solid, important win.

Screw the Habs for gifting Vegas a point. Should have had an easy regulation win. Thanks to the Sens for demolishing Cowtown. Go Sharks!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Regarding all the Hall talk, I certainly do feel bad for him. Not a fan of analyzing body language, but come on, the look on his face after he scored said it all. I certainly wouldn't mind having him back, but at the same time, looking at our cap situation, long-term that would likely cost us RNH. That's not a price I'd pay. I think RNH is a far more valuable piece on this team than Hall could be. Honestly I think our forward core (top 6) is set for the foreseeable future with the exception of Benson.

But anyways, enough talk about opposing players, let's get some more love for Archibald and Sheahan. You know your team is rolling when your 4C has a 4 point night. Credit to Tippett as well. And Bear. And Nurse, and basically everyone who played tonight (including the guy we all want out of the lineup, Gagner, who scored today). Solid, important win.

Screw the Habs for gifting Vegas a point. Should have had an easy regulation win. Thanks to the Sens for demolishing Cowtown. Go Sharks!

He knows that there’s a chance Arizona won’t make the playoffs. They’re a good team but the forwards can’t score.

Reactions: ujju2

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
You have to wonder if Benson could be the final piece eventually.
Be nice to to give up much and get benson to fit in like yano has.

Regardless of the forward situation we still need another top-4 D, preferably the one with a good shot from the blue line.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He knows that there’s a chance Arizona won’t make the playoffs. They’re a good team but the forwards can’t score.

Keller seems to have hit a developmental wall after his rookie season... Looking at his career stats I wouldn't be surprised if he follows a Nuge-like trajectory, with a huge sophomore slump followed by a few decent offensive seasons, then really coming into his own later in his 20s. Just an observation of similar production trends.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Regardless of the forward situation we still need another top-4 D, preferably the one with a good shot from the blue line.

Eh, I'm not sure we really need one, but either way I think between Bouchard and Broberg we have one coming in a couple years. I do like the composition of our top-4 defence group as is though.

Reactions: MikeFLB

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I and a few others have been saying that all season long... there's players within this org that will take this team over the top.

There's a fine line between an underachieving/overachieving team and this team will be a playoff team with guys like Benson/Benning/Persson/Lagesson in the lineup.

Even Marody (who most don't think is any good any longer) has the hunger and spark to propel this team towards a ~100 pt season and playoffs.

Not a coincidence when guys like Khaira and Granlund are out... the team does better with the players that replace them.

Absolutely another few key pieces like Benson/Benning/Persson will give this team more depth and players that simply play well in their roles... making this team more than the sum of its parts.

Holland and Tippett eventually will "get it" even though they've been a little slow on the uptake... but once they see and realize which players actually deserve roster spots... this team is a playoff team with ~100 pts.... (or even more if they outperform).

I dunno, I think you've made your point.

Benson looks pretty close, but he doesn't have the same level of savvy or compete that Yamamoto does. Then there is a big drop off. Benson is the only guy who's kind of close.

Jones and Bear are both NHL'ers, but they both also still need support. Bringing up more guys with even less NHL experience is not a great strategy. Holland will look for veterans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad