Confirmed with Link: 1st Overall - Aaron Ekblad (signed 9/3/14)

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Fowler has been in a significantly better organization and played on a significantly better team as well. Gudbranson had to come in here and be "the guy". Not just "the guy", but like all of our prospects have been viewed over the years, he is seen as someone who has to be the savior of this franchise.
I believe if you reverse the teams they were selected by, and on top of that the spot where they were selected, we would have seen much different results.

Instead of having to "come in here and be 'the guy,'" Fowler came into the NHL in his draft year and averaged 22:08 of ice time - 3rd among defensemen on the Ducks - and put up 40 points in the process. And that wasn't a gradual increase in ice time, he was playing 20+ minutes from the get-go. Gudbranson came in after another year of juniors and averaged 14:12 of ice time - good enough for 8th among Panthers defensemen.

Fast forward to today and you have Gudbranson at 6th among Panthers defensemen in ice time and Fowler at 1 among Ducks defenseman.

I don't know how you can possbily argue that Gudbranson has been looked upon more than Fowler to be "the guy."

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Fowler has been in a significantly better organization and played on a significantly better team as well. Gudbranson had to come in here and be "the guy". Not just "the guy", but like all of our prospects have been viewed over the years, he is seen as someone who has to be the savior of this franchise.
I believe if you reverse the teams they were selected by, and on top of that the spot where they were selected, we would have seen much different results.

Not at all. Fowler is the better player in every aspect save checking and fighting. Fowler is now, has been, and will be the better player.

Gudbranson's biggest issue is the same as when he turned pro, desicision making. On a technical level he isn't very good. He routinely gets outmuscled in the crease and corners because he is trying to make the finesse play or gets walked in on when he tries to fish for a check. I think he can still be a serviceable player, and with a miracle a good one, but I don't think he will ever be a top pairing guy.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
ekblad overall looked pretty solid during the camp. definitely has a tremendous wrist/snap shot and slap shot and great hands especially for a D his size. during some of the skating drills he looked a little uncomfortable, but thats the point, to feel awkward, to feel uncomfortable, thats how you become better. from what i saw it seems he always wants to make the smart play. no crazy passes, always on the tape. doesn't try to rush it from end to end if he doesn't need to. and responsible on the defensive side of things. I'm looking forward to see him in training camp. he'll continue to work out and add upper body and lower body strength, he'll be attending coach vincent's skating camp i think (some other panthers will be there i believe, i think gudbranson being one of them). sounds like he wants to focus on improving his skating, but he says he wants to improve on everything, which is the answer we all want to hear. I'm hoping he has a healthy and productive offseason. plays well and gets practice in during those rookie tournament games, and comes into training camp ready to go.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Instead of having to "come in here and be 'the guy,'" Fowler came into the NHL in his draft year and averaged 22:08 of ice time - 3rd among defensemen on the Ducks - and put up 40 points in the process. And that wasn't a gradual increase in ice time, he was playing 20+ minutes from the get-go. Gudbranson came in after another year of juniors and averaged 14:12 of ice time - good enough for 8th among Panthers defensemen.

Fast forward to today and you have Gudbranson at 6th among Panthers defensemen in ice time and Fowler at 1 among Ducks defenseman.

I don't know how you can possbily argue that Gudbranson has been looked upon more than Fowler to be "the guy."
Because the Ducks already had success as a franchise. Fowler's development wasn't going to make or break that organization. Fowler wasn't the first draft pick of the New GMs regime. And being picked 12th instead of 3rd makes a big difference. The playing time is not what I meant by being "the guy", it's about the responsibility for the franchise put on Gudbranson's shoulders as opposed to Fowler's.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
If any trade wasn't going to make a significant difference with this team now, then I'm glad he kept the pick and chose Ekblad. I think he's going to be a solid piece on defense for a long time and seems mature to move onto the next step into the NHL.

Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Any idea what Hextall offered you guys for the pick? All I know is that Wayne Simmonds was the deal breaker.
Thanks

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Somtimes I'd really like to know what these proposed deals are. A few years back when I heard that Boston was ready to trade Big Joe for Luongo but it was shot down by the ownership, I lost it considering what we actually got.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Any idea what Hextall offered you guys for the pick? All I know is that Wayne Simmonds was the deal breaker.
Thanks

If the rumors were right Schenn and VLC but Tallon wanted Simmonds to be part of that deal. Hextall wanted Gudbranson to include Simmonds but that was a deal breaker for Tallon. That was at the time of the draft I have to find the tweets from Harv.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
Somtimes I'd really like to know what these proposed deals are. A few years back when I heard that Boston was ready to trade Big Joe for Luongo but it was shot down by the ownership, I lost it considering what we actually got.

If I'm not mistaken it was Keenan himself who nixed the Bos deal for Lu because Boston was too close.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If I'm not mistaken it was Keenan himself who nixed the Bos deal for Lu because Boston was too close.

Not according to this article.

[/QUOTE]“It was a real tight window because the [Panthers] owner was really upset about the discussion about the negotiaton,†said Keenan. “But yes, Joe Thornton was offered by the Boston Bruins, and I took it to the owner and the owner said ‘No, we don’t wanna take that contract on either.â€[/QUOTE]

http://nesn.com/2012/04/bruins-once...-for-roberto-luongo-according-to-mike-keenan/

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Facepalm x10000000000000000000000000000000000

Damn you previous, previous ownership

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

Jacques Martin also had a deal worked out with Philly for Bouwmeester that involved Giroux coming back our way (who was only a prospect/marginal NHL contributor at the time), but Cohen nixed that one as well because we were in playoff contention.

That guy set this franchise back a decade, minimum.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wow, a lot of things I don't know about the franchise's history. Kinda "fun" to read.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Not really what I would call it.

Relax. I do realise the fanbase is propably amongst the most frustrated in the league, with a good reason. Been following up for a while and seems that the train is heading into the right direction. Can't live the past so better focus on the future.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Barkov was a home run. If Ekblad turns as the same or even comes close, that's two major pieces for the franchise. He was the one I wanted the Panthers to pick and so they did. Even if the rumoured offers were true, knowing what we know, I'd still take him.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Jacques Martin also had a deal worked out with Philly for Bouwmeester that involved Giroux coming back our way (who was only a prospect/marginal NHL contributor at the time), but Cohen nixed that one as well because we were in playoff contention.

pretty sure it was JVR that was rumored to be coming back to florida for Bou

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It is confirmed already :handclap:
Indeed:

Florida Panthers @FlaPanthers

#FlaPanthers sign No. 1 overall #NHLDraft pick @Ek5Colts. MORE: http://*******/EkbladSigns

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729456&navid=DL|FLA|home

“We are very pleased to have signed Aaron,” said Tallon. “He is a talented, strong, smart and hardworking defenseman who is ready to take the next step in his professional career. We look forward to watching him compete and develop at our prospects camp, throughout our main training camp and in preseason competition.”

Aaron Ekblad @EK5Colts

Couldn't be happier to reach another milestone in my career by signing my first NHL Contract #FLAPanthers #IsItOctoberYet

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Even MORE sickening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad