Confirmed with Link: 1st Overall - Aaron Ekblad (signed 9/3/14)

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I got a feeling most likely Tallon was going to make the pick all along. It was simple, either he was going get fleece somebody or he was going to keep the pick. The way he played it, making it like an auction, he made sure he received the best offers he could. It was torturous for fans but he did an excellent job as a GM.

Yeah, even way back when he first started "shopping it", I believed that we'd be picking. Moving the first overall pick is just so rare that I just didn't think it would be done. Not only that, but the talk about moving around 8 and beyond? That would be like unprecedented territory.

Not sure if this has been posted already but it's an extended version of Ekblad's Mic'd up video:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=626948&lang=en

-ghoste

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
how is a young 30 goal power forward not needed here? or a top pairing d man? kadri i would agree with... im not saying i wish tallon traded the pick, im not, im very happy he took eckblad but we could really use phaneuf or kane...

At 1:07, poor guy. He just wanted a fist bump.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
how is a young 30 goal power forward not needed here? or a top pairing d man? kadri i would agree with... im not saying i wish tallon traded the pick, im not, im very happy he took eckblad but we could really use phaneuf or kane...

I watched pretty much every Leafs game last season. Phaneuf is a pylon and has this nonchalant attitude about him. When the Leafs missed the playoffs, he acted like he didn't even give a damn. Evander Kane has a ton of potential, but it still looked upon as one of those perennial underachiever types. The media in Winnipeg is pretty down on him as well.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
If Ekblad does make the team next year like everyone is assuming he will - I'd love to see what he could do paired with Campbell setting him up on the powerplay. Could be a huge boost, he has the shot we lost when Garrison left.

I'm not saying to throw him to the wolves and pair him with Campbell on the #1 pair immediately. Just on the 1st PP unit.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
If Ekblad does make the team next year like everyone is assuming he will - I'd love to see what he could do paired with Campbell setting him up on the powerplay. Could be a huge boost, he has the shot we lost when Garrison left.

I'm not saying to throw him to the wolves and pair him with Campbell on the #1 pair immediately. Just on the 1st PP unit.

Yeah, pairing him with Campbell on the PP is realistic.

Tuco

Jul 30, 2007
Like the way he carries himself, he seems confident in a good way. He'll be very good.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Nooo... Don't ruin Ekblad by pairing him up with Jovo on the ice. Please! Guds took steps forward last season once Olsen went down and had to play with Brainfart again his game took 10 steps back

LuigisMadhouse44

Jun 13, 2014
Cats & Jackets Town
49296174.jpg

Thx a lot :yo: now lets hope tallon can sign some potable ufas to help our young core advance to the next level.
Next level ===> playoffs :handclap:

Jan 19, 2006
Tallon drafts the best player available

... and in the process finds out what players across the league GMs are willing to part with in the right deal.

If the LeCavalier rumor is true, the genesis of the deal was probably in discussions over this pick.

gauseka15

Apr 21, 2014
Isle of Man
This means totally nothing but here is our last 4 top 5 picks twitter followers
Ekblad: 11,000
Barkov: 25,000
Huberdeau: 55,100
Gudbranson: 9,000 (ekblad already passed him lol)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
This means totally nothing but here is our last 4 top 5 picks twitter followers
Ekblad: 11,000
Barkov: 25,000
Huberdeau: 55,100
Gudbranson: 9,000 (ekblad already passed him lol)

I think Ekblad had as much as Guddy before the draft and the number grew to 11k afterwards.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
What is the max ELC? I.E. What is Ekblad's cap hit going to be?

im prety sure it is $925k... at least that is what Barkov is at. it may go a bit higher since it is a year later and Ekblad is 1OA but i doubt it is higher than a million

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I hope Ekblad blows up for you guys and becomes that #1 franchise D. I just watched the mic'd in feature and he seems like a great kid who was genuinely excited to be joining your franchise.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
I hope Ekblad blows up for you guys and becomes that #1 franchise D. I just watched the mic'd in feature and he seems like a great kid who was genuinely excited to be joining your franchise.

That's nice of you to say! I think everything worked out nicely considering we hoped over you guys for the first pick. Ekblad was destined for us, and Reinhart was destined for you. I hope Reinhart is everything you want and more, and good luck in the future :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad