Confirmed with Link: 1st Overall - Aaron Ekblad (signed 9/3/14)

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
1st OV in the draft and 1st OV in the hair rankings.

Our top pairing will be Matheson-Ekblad. Legit, legit, legit.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Congrats on the pick! I've seen Ek play over 100 games throughout his OHL career and he will make a impact on your team right away next season. Got a great kid a leader here.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Congrats on the pick! I've seen Ek play over 100 games throughout his OHL career and he will make a impact on your team right away next season. Got a great kid a leader here.

thx! now that the smoke have cleared from the first round i think we're all super excited that tallon drafted him. our defence will be soild in a couple of years to say at least.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida

Excited to hear this! He seems extremely mature for his age. And he wanted to be a Florida Panther. That's an added bonus for why Tallon kept his pick. Can't wait to see him play for us.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Dale should be getting high praise for holding on to this pick and taking Ekblad. The amount of ridiculous trade rumors was at an all-time high yesterday. Dale said it himself, most of the proposals were "band-aid fixes". There was only ONE that made him stop and think for a second and even that wasn't good enough. Fantastic job. Any other GM in Dale's position would've traded it for junk. Now we have a prospect that has the possibility of being a franchise d-man. Couldn't be happier with the pick.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Dale should be getting high praise for holding on to this pick and taking Ekblad. The amount of ridiculous trade rumors was at an all-time high yesterday. Dale said it himself, most of the proposals were "band-aid fixes". There was only ONE that made him stop and think for a second and even that wasn't good enough. Fantastic job. Any other GM in Dale's position would've traded it for junk. Now we have a prospect that has the possibility of being a franchise d-man. Couldn't be happier with the pick.

You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what the proposals were, "band aid fixes" Guys rumored like Phaneuf, Kadri, and Evander Kane are not what's needed here. Like Bill Torrey once said "Don't go for a piecemeal approach"

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Thank you for not trading the pick and picking Ekblad. He was a great fit for your team with Barkov and Bjugstad already up the middle.

I hope you guys do well this year! :)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what the proposals were, "band aid fixes" Guys rumored like Phaneuf, Kadri, and Evander Kane are not what's needed here. Like Bill Torrey once said "Don't go for a piecemeal approach"

how is a young 30 goal power forward not needed here? or a top pairing d man? kadri i would agree with... im not saying i wish tallon traded the pick, im not, im very happy he took eckblad but we could really use phaneuf or kane...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
how is a young 30 goal power forward not needed here? or a top pairing d man? kadri i would agree with... im not saying i wish tallon traded the pick, im not, im very happy he took eckblad but we could really use phaneuf or kane...

I think he means for Ekblad they're not.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
If any trade wasn't going to make a significant difference with this team now, then I'm glad he kept the pick and chose Ekblad. I think he's going to be a solid piece on defense for a long time and seems mature to move onto the next step into the NHL.

LuigisMadhouse44

Jun 13, 2014
Cats & Jackets Town
soooooo happy we got him. Tallon you troll making that pause in the middle of the announcement and making me second guess myself. At least he made the best decision by drafting Blady :) ... so pumped for next season right now

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
soooooo happy we got him. Tallon you troll making that pause in the middle of the announcement and making me second guess myself. At least he made the best decision by drafting Blady :) ... so pumped for next season right now

49296174.jpg

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I got a feeling most likely Tallon was going to make the pick all along. It was simple, either he was going get fleece somebody or he was going to keep the pick. The way he played it, making it like an auction, he made sure he received the best offers he could. It was torturous for fans but he did an excellent job as a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad