Confirmed with Link: 1st Overall - Aaron Ekblad (signed 9/3/14)

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
No chance at all he'll have a + +/-. Even the best rookies end up being massively negative (think -20ish).

Now I'm not expecting him to be great(Seth Jones finished the year -23) but I'm still hoping that he will finish the hear least close to even ±.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
No chance at all he'll have a + +/-. Even the best rookies end up being massively negative (think -20ish).

Hampus Lindholm was a +29 this year.

I realize you're probably using Gudbranson, Jones and Fowler as your guidelines, but it's unfair to generalize like that. Ekblad doesn't seem to have the negative traits those 3 do. (Lack of hockey IQ (Gudbranson) and being charmin' soft (Fowler/Jones)

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Let me clarify that I obviously don't see him being a +29 this year, but I don't see a -20 either. He strikes me as a much more complete prospect than the others.

I think alot will depend on how the team around him fairs. if we're a good team, i see him being anywhere from a +5 to a -5. if we're terrible again, anywhere from -10-15

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Hampus Lindholm was a +29 this year.

I realize you're probably using Gudbranson, Jones and Fowler as your guidelines, but it's unfair to generalize like that. Ekblad doesn't seem to have the negative traits those 3 do. (Lack of hockey IQ (Gudbranson) and being charmin' soft (Fowler/Jones)

Really?? You're gonna use Lindholm as an example? LOL. Dude played on one of the best teams on the planet. I could have been a + player on that team.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Really?? You're gonna use Lindholm as an example? LOL. Dude played on one of the best teams on the planet. I could have been a + player on that team.

LOL, Okay.

How about:

Kevin Miller +18
Danny DeKeyser +10
Mark Barbeiro (LOL) +10
Olli Maata +8
Nathan Beaulieu +6
Ryan Stanton +5
Jacob Trouba +4
Ryan Murray +4

How about in 12-13?

Jake Muzzin +16
Dalton Prout +15
Patrick Weirchoch +9
Thomas Hickey +9
Simon Despres +9

I could keep going but I don't have to.

I guess "even the best rookies" don't always end up being massively negative, huh? :laugh:

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
LOL, Okay.

How about:

Kevin Miller +18
Danny DeKeyser +10
Mark Barbeiro (LOL) +10
Olli Maata +8
Nathan Beaulieu +6
Ryan Stanton +5
Jacob Trouba +4
Ryan Murray +4

How about in 12-13?

Jake Muzzin +16
Dalton Prout +15
Patrick Weirchoch +9
Thomas Hickey +9
Simon Despres +9

I could keep going but I don't have to.

I guess "even the best rookies" don't always end up being massively negative, huh? :laugh:

I see a lot of guys who weren't highly touted dmen going to great teams on that list. How about giving me a guy who went in the top 5 and came in at 18 years old.

Sparkman112

Jul 22, 2013
Pembroke pines
I see a lot of guys who weren't highly touted dmen going to great teams on that list. How about giving me a guy who went in the top 5 and came in at 18 years old.

Last 18 year old dman and top 5 pick to post a positive +/- was zach bogosian

Zach Bogosian 2008‑09 47GP 9G 10A 19P 47PIM +11

and before him Kyle Mclaren (9th OVR) and Jay McKee (14th OVR) in 1977 lol

Last edited:

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Question for the prospect buffs: How does Ekblad compare/rank compared to other recent hyped defense prospects? Namely Jones, Nurse, Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Larsson, Guds, and Fowler.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

what does it matter if they aren't highly touted? they're still rookies.

point is, your blanket statement of "even the best rookies always end up being massively negative" is wrong.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

point is, your blanket statement of "even the best rookies always end up being massively negative" is wrong.

Barkov was only a -3 last year, albeit while only playing 54 games

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Question for the prospect buffs: How does Ekblad compare/rank compared to other recent hyped defense prospects? Namely Jones, Nurse, Ryan Murray, Griffin Reinhart, Larsson, Guds, and Fowler.

I'd rank them NOW as follows:

Ekblad
Murray
Jones
Fowler
Reinhart
Nurse
Larsson
Gudbranson

I've never been an enormous Jones fan though, too soft for my liking.

If you're talking about how much they were hyped coming into their drafts, well that's an entirely different list which would probably look like:

Jones
Larsson
Ekblad
Murray
Reinhart
Nurse
Fowler
Gudbranson

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I'd rank them NOW as follows:

Ekblad
Murray
Jones
Fowler
Reinhart
Nurse
Larsson
Gudbranson

I've never been an enormous Jones fan though, too soft for my liking.

If you're talking about how much they were hyped coming into their drafts, well that's an entirely different list which would probably look like:

Jones
Larsson
Ekblad
Murray
Reinhart
Nurse
Fowler
Gudbranson

Nope.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Ekblad would have been ranked second behind Jones. He's more defensive than Jones and more of a shooter than a QB on the PP. He's also more physical but I wouldn't consider him a physical dman Gudbranson or Nurse though.

Last edited:

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com

Because highly touted guys go to **** teams like the Panthers and usually do too young at 18 nonetheless, that's why. Do I need to hold your hand to get you to understand that? Being 22 and joining the Red Wings isn't the same as 18 on the Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad