Confirmed with Link: 1st Overall - Aaron Ekblad (signed 9/3/14)

Bruinaholic

Apr 22, 2002
Central CT
This guy is something else...I watched him very closely tuesday night(I have season tickets in boston,bruins defend 2x).. Ek has it all,as highly as I think of HaMilton I think id take ekblad as my cornerstone D

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This guy is something else...I watched him very closely tuesday night(I have season tickets in boston,bruins defend 2x).. Ek has it all,as highly as I think of HaMilton I think id take ekblad as my cornerstone D

Thanks, and yes, we have been impressed with him. Glad we kept the pick.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

Thanks for the kind words. He's been everything as advertised and more. Like BigNickBjugstad said, we're really glad we didn't trade the pick. He's more valuable to the team than any deal that was presented.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Does anyone think Ekblad has a legitimate shot at the Calder this year?

He needs to start racking up points to be considered seriously. Although his play has been great. He's a defenseman playing very good defense in his rookie year. However, these awards seem to base a lot on how many points a player has.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I don't care if he doesn't win the Calder. He's a Florida Panther. He's ours for a very long time. It's going to be fun to watch. :yo:

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Wow do you guys ever have a stud on your hands in Ekblad!

Would it be far-fetched to insinuate that he is already the best player on the Panthers?

I think he is a definite Calder contender at this point. There is going to be lots of spicy competition; but he is right in there. He makes a difference in so many ways.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Wow do you guys ever have a stud on your hands in Ekblad!

Would it be far-fetched to insinuate that he is already the best player on the Panthers?

I think he is a definite Calder contender at this point. There is going to be lots of spicy competition; but he is right in there. He makes a difference in so many ways.

he's good thats for sure. great considering his age and the position he plays. he's makes a couple of mistakes now and again but it's expected. as some peeps have already mentioned, i don't think he'll be a calder candidate unless he racks up 35ish points this season.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
he's good thats for sure. great considering his age and the position he plays. he's makes a couple of mistakes now and again but it's expected. as some peeps have already mentioned, i don't think he'll be a calder candidate unless he racks up 35ish points this season.

Well he is tied for most points on our team. He has 6 points in 12 games which is 0.5 points per game. We have 70 games left and if he averages the same 0.5 ppg for the rest of the season, he should get 35 points in the last 70 games and when you add the 6 points he has now that would be 41 points. I know those are just numbers and he probably wont have the same ppg for the rest of the season, but if we get our offense going (and score more than 1-2 goals per game) I dont see any reason why Ekblad couldnt have over 30 points.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Even if Ekblad puts up around 0.5-0.7 PPG, it would still need a poor year offensively for the forwards for him to get serious consideration. Last two times the award has gone to a d-man:

09-10; Myers 11+37=48, Duchene 24+31=55 and Howard (goalie).
02-03; Jackman 3+16=19, Nash 17+22=39 and Zetterberg 22+22=44.

Currently of the forwards; Forsberg is over a PPG and the trio of Gaudreau, Pearson and Burakovsky are close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad