Prospect Info: 190th - Brett Stapley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So if I understand you like Stephens at 25 years with 34 nhl games including 0 goals in 27 games with Detroit.
richard is 25 and has averaged 27 points in the AHL in the last two seasons.
do you really think these two centres are going to develop? You make me laugh 😂
schnarr has also averaged 27 odd points . Yup a development gem there.
mysak is 20, has potential and should be developed. He has produced 2 points in 22 ahl games. Certainly not impressed by that stat.
if you were trying to win would you not develop 20, 21 and 22 year olds in your farm system?

Over 25 years old non performing players yes. I would try to develop 20 to 22 year old two way players in the AHL. Stapley is a point a game player in the 2022 year, 13th in the NCAA scoring race with no power play time and has championship pedigree. Worth a contract

Stapley is 23 years old though, not 20/21/22.

He was 15th (ppg tie breaker for 13th), but his teammates were 1st, 6th and 7th. Being on an offensive powerhouse boosted his stats.

8 of the top 50 were from Denver.

My guess is that he gets an AHL contract somewhere, would be surprised at a NHL contract.

Stephens was 1 PPG in the OHL at 20.
Richard was 1.5 PPG in the QMJHL at 20.
Schnarr was 1.5 PPG in the OHL at 20.
Mysak was 1 PPG in the OHL at 20. Pretty funny to see you bash him for his stats in the AHL at 19 years old with limited 4th line minutes when he was supposed to be in the OHL.

Being PPG is not some wondrous achievement, especially not for an overager like Stapley who started the NCAA a year later than most relevant prospects.

Schnarr and Stapley are the same age.
Schnarr was 0.57 ppg in a league way above the NCAA. Schnarr is a better prospect than Stapley and Schnarr is an afterthought in our system.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So if I understand you like Stephens at 25 years with 34 nhl games including 0 goals in 27 games with Detroit.
richard is 25 and has averaged 27 points in the AHL in the last two seasons.
do you really think these two centres are going to develop? You make me laugh 😂
schnarr has also averaged 27 odd points . Yup a development gem there.
mysak is 20, has potential and should be developed. He has produced 2 points in 22 ahl games. Certainly not impressed by that stat.
if you were trying to win would you not develop 20, 21 and 22 year olds in your farm system?
We just brought in Richard and Stephens to play in the AHL and we do not need to bring in a waste of a contract like Stapley. Both Richard and Stephens are in Laval because they are effective AHLers who help to provide a stable environment for legitimate prospects to develop in. Stapley is very likely a nothing burger but you should email HuGo his stats because I am sure they are unaware of just how great he is. Perhaps if they just looked up stats like you did they would realize that they do not need scouts any longer.

You are clearly unable to grasp how a proper developmental model is constructed. The fact that you are referring to Schnarr, Stephens and Richard as developmental projects and not as developmental aides is an indictment on your ability to remotely understand what is actually taking place.

Do continue to humour us on your superior team building skills relative to Gorton and Hughes.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We just brought in Richard and Stephens to play in the AHL and we do not need to bring in a waste of a contract like Stapley. Both Richard and Stephens are in Laval because they are effective AHLers who help to provide a stable environment for legitimate prospects to develop in. Stapley is very likely a nothing burger but you should email HuGo his stats because I am sure they are unaware of just how great he is. Perhaps if they just looked up stats like you did they would realize that they do not need scouts any longer.

You are clearly unable to grasp how a proper developmental model is constructed. The fact that you are referring to Schnarr, Stephens and Richard as developmental projects and not as developmental aides is an indictment on your ability to remotely understand what is actually taking place.

Do continue to humour us on your superior team building skills relative to Gorton and Hughes.

I mean, Schnarr is two days younger than Stapley, so he kinda is the same level of "project".

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I mean, Schnarr is two days younger than Stapley, so he kinda is the same level of "project".

Schnarr is still the awful skater that he was in junior, he has great size and enough skill to be a competent AHL forward but is not a legitimate NHL prospect. At least players like Schnarr, Richard and are beneficial as core AHL forwards to help provide a winning environment for legitimate prospects to thrive in. It also needs to be mentioned that signing Stapley to a 3 year entry level contract slot that will be needed to sign superior prospects that we have recently drafted would likely be a mistake. With the three vets there are only one year commitments and there is zero effect on blocking contract spots in coming years. HuGo will determine how many contracts need to be handed out to our top prospects and will sign AHL vets to one year contracts after the kids are taken care of. This is just another angle that the previous poster was entirely clueless about

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Schnarr is still the awful skater that he was in junior, he has great size and enough skill to be a competent AHL forward but is not a legitimate NHL prospect. At least players like Schnarr, Richard and are beneficial as core AHL forwards to help provide a winning environment for legitimate prospects to thrive in. It also needs to be mentioned that signing Stapley to a 3 year entry level contract slot that will be needed to sign superior prospects that we have recently drafted would likely be a mistake. With the three vets there are only one year commitments and there is zero effect on blocking contract spots in coming years. HuGo will determine how many contracts need to be handed out to our top prospects and will sign AHL vets to one year contracts after the kids are taken care of. This is just another angle that the previous poster was entirely clueless about

Stapley would be 2 years due to age, but yeah I think it's one reason they signed Condotta instead of Stapley.

If Condotta doesn't show enough this year, he can be off the books while we would be stuck with Stapley for another year. We will need a ton of contract space in the next 1-3 years.

EDIT:
2023: Gorniak (although most likely not signed), Mailloux, Dichow, Struble, Vrbetic, Trudeau, Farrell (due 2025 according to capgeek but come on)
2024: Beck, Biondi, Davidson, Guindon, Nurmi, Rohrer, Smilanic, Tourigny, Tuch, Dobes (due 2025 but come on)
2025: Kapanen, Pitlick, 2023 CHL picks

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
He was listing centers

Byron can obviously play center in the NHL
Armia can obviously play center in the NHL
Drouin if we had no one else could play center better than Stephens.

Our center roster is obviously not just the centers.
This one flew by you? Or?

A GM doesn't think so firmly about positions, humans can adapt.
Top 9 NHL wingers are generally better centers in the NHL than your AHL reserve.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I like Stapley and I thought he did well in NCAA. He was always a bubble guy and missing pretty much his whole Junior year made it hard for him to sign in MTL. I think he might draw a bit of interest somewhere else, either as an AHL contract or possibly an ELC. The Habs liked Condotta more and I'm fine with that choice. I'm not going to talk bad about Brett Stapley - I think he had pretty good progression but ultimately it looks like the Habs are looking in a different direction which is their prerogative.

Reactions: bopeep

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Byron can obviously play center in the NHL
Armia can obviously play center in the NHL
Drouin if we had no one else could play center better than Stephens.

Our center roster is obviously not just the centers.
This one flew by you? Or?

A GM doesn't think so firmly about positions, humans can adapt.
Top 9 NHL wingers are generally better centers in the NHL than your AHL reserve.

When you are discussing center depth you look past career wingers who can play center as a last resort. Armia has almost never played center and Byron has only done it as a necessity due to injuries. Byron is a career 38.8% on faceoffs and Armia is a career 27.2%......neither players are centers nor are they perceived as such by their coaches and management. Faceoffs aren't everything but they are abysmal at it and Byron is way too small to be an effective center anyways.

When discussing current players potentially blocking center prospects Armia and Byron do not enter the conversation.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
When you are discussing center depth you look past career wingers who can play center as a last resort. Armia has almost never played center and Byron has only done it as a necessity due to injuries. Byron is a career 38.8% on faceoffs and Armia is a career 27.2%......neither players are centers nor are they perceived as such by their coaches and management. Faceoffs aren't everything but they are abysmal at it and Byron is way too small to be an effective center anyways.

You can have whatever rule you like, as always.

Byron is likely the real 5th option, or a reclamation trade only if needed. Pretty sure Stephens is there to win in the AHL - so that guys like Mysak can be well surrounded (so he can be ready for next year).

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

So the rockets develop nobody for centre is your plan

Byron is likely the real 5th option, or a reclamation trade only if needed. Pretty sure Stephens is there to win in the AHL - so that guys like Mysak can be well surrounded (so he can be ready for next year).
Should you not be developing more than just mysak? That is my point. Richards, stephens and schnarr are not going to be NHL players. there time is passed.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

Kirby Dach is a 32% faceoff guy. Wow is that bad.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Stapley's 23 man. You talk like the 25-year olds are 10 years older than him. They're only 2 years older.

And they already have between 3 to 6 years of pro hockey under their belts.

And Schnarr is also 23 and is way ahead of Stapley at the same age.

Schnarr in his final year of Junior had 102 pts. Over a PPG.

Stephens in his final year of Junior had 53 pts in 51 GP. Over a PPG.

Richard in his final year of Junior had 87 pts in 58 GP. Over a PPG.

Stapley will be lucky if he turns out like any of them.
At 25 years of age you are done. Plain and simple. Develop mysak and any other potential prospects. By your logic we should not develop Harris as he is a 4 year ncaa player. My point is there is no centre ice prospects being developed. Stapleys is at the age to develop at the pro level. Beck et alarm in junior programs to develop. It is crazy to think the spots for Richard and stephens are helping the team

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So the rockets develop nobody for centre is your plan

Should you not be developing more than just mysak? That is my point. Richards, stephens and schnarr are not going to be NHL players. there time is passed.
Laval will develop centers when the organization provides them with centers.....Stapley is likely not going to be one of them. In the absence of legitimate center prospects to play in Laval the smart move is to sign AHL centers to one year contracts until players like Beck, Kidney, Mysak, Rohrer etc are ready to go pro. Beck may be the only one in that group who ends up as a center in the NHL so I wouldn't worry too much about having AHL vets on 1 year contracts blocking anybody.

I have always considered Stapley to be a non prospect with his ceiling being a career minor leaguer and his floor being out of hockey within a few years of finishing college. I think that we don't sign him but maybe Laval signs him after the 15th, it just isn't very interesting either way.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Stapley will have a contract August 16. I don't think he'd ever amount to anything in the NHL...but that guy will be serviceable at the AHL level.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

Ok I will try to follow your logic. You take three centre spots in Stephens , Richard and schnarr and call them stabilizers for mysak. Burn three spots for players wh have had little if any success at the pro level. Oh yeah they had some success 5 years ago in junior. What a maroon you are. Proper development model? The nhl team has some questions at centre. A 60 point guy, a third and fourth liner and Kirby dach for the new 2nd slot. Certainly reason to question the viability of the personnel and the current development model. The team is bottom 5 in the league all day long with Chicago and Arizona trying to lose. Presumably Montreal is trying to win but we should know after tofoli, lechy, Petry, we are a worse team than the one that finished 32nd

Stapley will have a contract August 16. I don't think he'd ever amount to anything in the NHL...but that guy will be serviceable at the AHL level.
Stapley will have a two way contract, just not as part of the Canadiens.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Ok I will try to follow your logic. You take three centre spots in Stephens , Richard and schnarr and call them stabilizers for mysak. Burn three spots for players wh have had little if any success at the pro level. Oh yeah they had some success 5 years ago in junior. What a maroon you are. Proper development model? The nhl team has some questions at centre. A 60 point guy, a third and fourth liner and Kirby dach for the new 2nd slot. Certainly reason to question the viability of the personnel and the current development model. The team is bottom 5 in the league all day long with Chicago and Arizona trying to lose. Presumably Montreal is trying to win but we should know after tofoli, lechy, Petry, we are a worse team than the one that finished 32nd

Comments like these aren't necessary. If you're too maroonic to make your point argumenting the other point and making that poster, indirectly, sound like a maroon, please don't resort to insults.

Be smarter than that. It's unbecoming.

Why can't we all just... get along...

Maroons are good people too, even if I'm not fond of the colour. No, I am not racist. Please, don't get me wrong...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
At 25 years of age you are done. Plain and simple. Develop mysak and any other potential prospects. By your logic we should not develop Harris as he is a 4 year ncaa player. My point is there is no centre ice prospects being developed. Stapleys is at the age to develop at the pro level. Beck et alarm in junior programs to develop. It is crazy to think the spots for Richard and stephens are helping the team

Dude, I already posted for you how these guys were over a PPG in their final years of Junior. On top of that, they were younger than Stapley is in his PPG year. These guys were better than Stapley at a younger age.

So hanging on Stapley was over a PPG player doesn't mean shit. All these guys you're ragging on have been over PPG players, too. But somehow to you, Stapley is more worth it because he's 23, as if the others are 29-30.

While Stapley was still in Denver, these guys were playing pro hockey, something they have over Stapley.

23 year old Schnarr: 139 AHL games

25 year old Richard: 362 AHL games
(At 23, he already had 263 AHL games)

25 year old Stephens: 135 AHL games + 72 NHL games
(At 23, he already had 133 AHL games + 38 NHL games)

You're out here saying Stephens and Richard won't help the team. Yet you still fail to tell us how Stapley would.

Cam Hillis was over a PPG player his last year of Junior, too, by the way.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I don't think following logic comes naturally to you as you are more interested in building strawmen than having an intelligent discussion.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Who knew BRETT STAPELY ..had such a fan lol
Who knew 25 year old retreads like Stephens and Richard had such fans🌋. If you are a 32nd place team should you not be developing prospects? Who is being developed in Laval? Hillis is as the 5 c? Pinard as a 4liner project? Ylonen as a third liner?
In Montreal, Caufield, Dach, Harris and Barron? Maybe Slaf? time to move out vets and develop prospects

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who knew 25 year old retreads like Stephens and Richard had such fans🌋. If you are a 32nd place team should you not be developing prospects? Who is being developed in Laval? Hillis is as the 5 c? Pinard as a 4liner project? Ylonen as a third liner?
In Montreal, Caufield, Dach, Harris and Barron? Maybe Slaf? time to move out vets and develop prospects

You can hurt prospect development by not having veterans around or putting them in spots they aren't ready for. Stephens gives the Habs someone who can be called up if there's an injury without pushing a prospect up and interrupting their development

The other piece you are missing is the evaluation that Stapley isn't worth a contract and they haven't seen any measurable growth that warrants a contract.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
You can hurt prospect development by not having veterans around or putting them in spots they aren't ready for. Stephens gives the Habs someone who can be called up if there's an injury without pushing a prospect up and interrupting their development

The other piece you are missing is the evaluation that Stapley isn't worth a contract and they haven't seen any measurable growth that warrants a contract.
What you are not answering is who is developing in Laval as a centre. i will help you. Nobody. Maybe you missed that small point. The team should be developing players so the age and cap windows align. That window is 18 to 23. Deep cuts are required to reset the team; including buying out contracts. The wild and hawks are taking different paths to the reset. Not much action in Montreal on a relative basis.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Dude, I already posted for you how these guys were over a PPG in their final years of Junior. On top of that, they were younger than Stapley is in his PPG year. These guys were better than Stapley at a younger age.

So hanging on Stapley was over a PPG player doesn't mean shit. All these guys you're ragging on have been over PPG players, too. But somehow to you, Stapley is more worth it because he's 23, as if the others are 29-30.

While Stapley was still in Denver, these guys were playing pro hockey, something they have over Stapley.

23 year old Schnarr: 139 AHL games

25 year old Richard: 362 AHL games
(At 23, he already had 263 AHL games)

25 year old Stephens: 135 AHL games + 72 NHL games
(At 23, he already had 133 AHL games + 38 NHL games)

You're out here saying Stephens and Richard won't help the team. Yet you still fail to tell us how Stapley would.

Cam Hillis was over a PPG player his last year of Junior, too, by the way.
I agree with the main point but ppg in the NCAA doesn't really compare with ppg in junior or the AHL. Going ppg in junior at 20 isn't much of an achievement while ppg in the NCAA is pretty good, and ppg is rare in the AHL for any significant time, other than guys like Corey Locke, because guys get called up.

I agree that going ppg on a stacked team at 23 isn't indicative of a major prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00