Prospect Info: 190th - Brett Stapley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They don't sign him. The final date it's 1st June.

His rights expire on August 15th.

The rights of players in the NCAA expire on August 15th.

June 1st is the expiry date of players from Junior and Europe.

Is he going to be signed by August 15 th? Can he be the 4th line centre?

His year ended on April 9th. If Habs didn't sign him a few days after his college year ended, you knew right there they had no intention of signing him.

Last edited:

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
His rights expire on August 15th.

The rights of players in the NCAA expire on August 15th.

June 1st is the expiry date of players from Junior and Europe.

His year ended on April 9th. If Habs didn't sign him a few days after his college year ended, you knew right there they had no intention of signing him.
Actually you don’t

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Actually you don’t

Why would they wait to sign him instead of giving him an ATO to join Laval for the POs?

Why wait until it's less than 10 days until the deadline? Why aren't we hearing anything about him?

We may not be 100% sure, but at this point I'm 99.9% sure he goes unsigned.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Has the team said they are not signing him? If not then you really don’t know

They did not sign him to an ATO like the other prospects they signed to deals. Instead, they signed Condotta.

He was not at development camp.

They have not said a blip since April 9.

Multiple bloggers and journalists have mentioned they do not think Stapley will be signed.

There are 9 days left to sign and Hughes last move was Jeff Petry on July 16th.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
He is a point per game two way centre on a national championship team. He is also a UFA if he does not sign. Habs have Stephen's, a 25 year old, as their 5 th centre.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've never liked him as a prospect as his game does not translate to the NHL, clearly Habs management feel the same. I rolled my eyes when Ramage mentioned him as our most underrated prospect playing in the States.....that just led me to believe that Ramage may not be very good at his job. Perhaps that isn't fair as Ramage was simply a conduit between management and our American based prospects and likely had minimal input into whether they are signed or not.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He is a point per game two way centre on a national championship team. He is also a UFA if he does not sign. Habs have Stephen's, a 25 year old, as their 5 th centre.

I like how you left out Mysak: over a PPG player on the OHL championship team.

There is also Nate Schnarr, who is the same age as Stapley and already has 3 years of pro hockey experience.

And Anthony Richard, who is only 2 years older than Stapley and already has 6 years of pro hockey experience.

So to recap: Suzuki, Dvorak, Dach, Evans, Stephens, Mysak, Richard, Schnarr.

Tell me again, where does Stapley fit in?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

There is also Nate Schnarr, who is the same age as Stapley and already has 3 years of pro hockey experience.

And Anthony Richard, who is only 2 years older than Stapley and already has 6 years of pro hockey experience.

And Byron, And Armia, And etc.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Exactly, and Beck will almost certainly join that group of centers in a couple of years.

We have an incredibly deep prospect pool and a finite number of contracts so we can't just hand out contracts to depth ECHL players in 3R because they put up points in the NCAA. Stapley is not a legitimate NHL prospect and should not be treated as such.

And Byron, And Armia, And etc.

He was listing centers

Reactions: Redux91

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
We have 14 proven NHL forwards and the deepest prospect pool in the league. Our issues are not with depth, it is with top end talent at the NHL level and to a lesser degree in the prospect pool. Our depth is exactly why Stapley won't be signed.
The team finished 32nd in points out of 32 teams. Are you kidding?

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Exactly, and Beck will almost certainly join that group of centers in a couple of years.

We have an incredibly deep prospect pool and a finite number of contracts so we can't just hand out contracts to depth ECHL players in 3R because they put up points in the NCAA. Stapley is not a legitimate NHL prospect and should not be treated as such.

He was listing centers
So if I understand you like Stephens at 25 years with 34 nhl games including 0 goals in 27 games with Detroit.
richard is 25 and has averaged 27 points in the AHL in the last two seasons.
do you really think these two centres are going to develop? You make me laugh 😂
schnarr has also averaged 27 odd points . Yup a development gem there.
mysak is 20, has potential and should be developed. He has produced 2 points in 22 ahl games. Certainly not impressed by that stat.
if you were trying to win would you not develop 20, 21 and 22 year olds in your farm system?

And Stapley is your answer. 🤣
Over 25 years old non performing players yes. I would try to develop 20 to 22 year old two way players in the AHL. Stapley is a point a game player in the 2022 year, 13th in the NCAA scoring race with no power play time and has championship pedigree. Worth a contract

Last edited:

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
So if I understand you like Stephens at 25 years with 34 nhl games including 0 goals in 27 games with Detroit.
richard is 25 and has averaged 27 points in the AHL in the last two seasons.
do you really think these two centres are going to develop? You make me laugh 😂
schnarr has also averaged 27 odd points . Yup a development gem there.
mysak is 20, has potential and should be developed. He has produced 2 points in 22 ahl games. Certainly not impressed by that stat.
if you were trying to win would you not develop 20, 21 and 22 year olds in your farm system?

Over 25 years old non performing players yes. I would try to develop 20 to 22 year old two way players in the AHL. Stapley is a point a game player in the 2022 year, 13th in the NCAA scoring race with no power play time and has championship pedigree. Worth a contract
Worth an AHL contract maybe, but not an ELC that's for sure.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Stapley's 23 man. You talk like the 25-year olds are 10 years older than him. They're only 2 years older.

And they already have between 3 to 6 years of pro hockey under their belts.

And Schnarr is also 23 and is way ahead of Stapley at the same age.

Schnarr in his final year of Junior had 102 pts. Over a PPG.

Stephens in his final year of Junior had 53 pts in 51 GP. Over a PPG.

Richard in his final year of Junior had 87 pts in 58 GP. Over a PPG.

Stapley will be lucky if he turns out like any of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: