Prospect Info: 190th - Brett Stapley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Don't konw about the NHl potential, but this guy would be a great help for our farm team. No doubt.

Reactions: dralaf

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Stapley finished his college career with 99 pts (32G, 67A) in 121 GP.

Pretty good for a guy who was taken in the 7th round.

With no surprise, a lot of us compare him to another 7th rounder that played 4 years in the NCAA (Evans). Jake had finished his collegiate career with 138 pts (41G, 97A) in 158 GP.

Since Stapley missed almost all of last year to injury, if you prorate his production to 158 games, he was on pace for 129 pts.

Of course there are other factors. Evans by the end was Notre Dame's 1C and played a key role. There was progression. Whereas Stapley played a secondary role almost his entire NCAA run. That's not to diminish Stapley, but in fact to highlight that despite him playing mostly on the bottom-6, he still produced at an impressive rate.

Mathias Brunet in one of his articles wrote that from what he hears, unless there is a change of heart by the Habs, he doesn't expect them to sign Stapley.

I see no reason for them to at least do what they did with Ylonen. When Ylonen finished in Liiga, the Habs signed him to a one year AHL deal, not a PTO as they did with Condotta and will do with Heineman. So the money is most likely better signing to an AHL deal.

Ylonen didn't play because he was hurt and then the season was ended due to the pandemic. But they can do this with Stapley. Sign him to an AHL deal to finish the year with Laval and their playoff run. And then decide if they want to sign him to an ELC in the off-season.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Stapley finished his college career with 99 pts (32G, 67A) in 121 GP.

Pretty good for a guy who was taken in the 7th round.

With no surprise, a lot of us compare him to another 7th rounder that played 4 years in the NCAA (Evans). Jake had finished his collegiate career with 138 pts (41G, 97A) in 158 GP.

Since Stapley missed almost all of last year to injury, if you prorate his production to 158 games, he was on pace for 129 pts.

Of course there are other factors. Evans by the end was Notre Dame's 1C and played a key role. There was progression. Whereas Stapley played a secondary role almost his entire NCAA run. That's not to diminish Stapley, but in fact to highlight that despite him playing mostly on the bottom-6, he still produced at an impressive rate.

Mathias Brunet in one of his articles wrote that from what he hears, unless there is a change of heart by the Habs, he doesn't expect them to sign Stapley.

I see no reason for them to at least do what they did with Ylonen. When Ylonen finished in Liiga, the Habs signed him to a one year AHL deal, not a PTO as they did with Condotta and will do with Heineman. So the money is most likely better signing to an AHL deal.

Ylonen didn't play because he was hurt and then the season was ended due to the pandemic. But they can do this with Stapley. Sign him to an AHL deal to finish the year with Laval and their playoff run. And then decide if they want to sign him to an ELC in the off-season.
Thinking could be another Evans but looks smaller than him.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
If Stapley wants he can opt to return to the NCAA for a 5th year. DU was the highest scoring team in the NCAA this year so bringing him back would help a lot depending on who leaves early.
I was thinking about that - if he opts for a fifth year would the Habs still own his rights?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was thinking about that - if he opts for a fifth year would the Habs still own his rights?

That's a tough one because the covid rule that the NCAA came up with last year, the NHL as far as I know never said anything about it. So my guess would be yes they would keep his rights even though the rule says 4 years but if he had red shirted they would own his rights an extra year.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
That's a tough one because the covid rule that the NCAA came up with last year, the NHL as far as I know never said anything about it. So my guess would be yes they would keep his rights even though the rule says 4 years but if he had red shirted they would own his rights an extra year.
If the Habs keep his rights it would be great if Stapley played a 5th year because his 3rd was essentially a lost year. Plus then his ELC might only be one year like Condotta's.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If the Habs keep his rights it would be great if Stapley played a 5th year because his 3rd was essentially a lost year. Plus then his ELC might only be one year like Condotta's.
If he gets an ELC deal elsewhere, there is no need for him to search for classes to take post-graduation. If he does not get an ELC deal, why don't we sign him to a Laval deal, or better yet, just give him the ELC?? I think he earned more than Condotta, and AHL is a better legue than NCAA for development at age 23.

Reactions: 1909

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Haven't seen anything to indicate he signs but haven't read about him playing a.fifth year of college hockey - either at Denver or elsewhere - either.

Any updates?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Haven't seen anything to indicate he signs but haven't read about him playing a.fifth year of college hockey - either at Denver or elsewhere - either.

Any updates?
If the Habs don't sign him on Aug 15 he becomes a UFA and can sign anywhere. My guess is that he will get a contract of some sort - AHL or NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca