NHL Entry Draft #19 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Want one of Doroyev, Leason or Afanasyev with our secon but given our history we won't consider Doroyev

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If only Dorion took being a smart GM seriously...

I just don't understand what he gains from this.

Exactly. Its just easier to say nothing we will take BPA yada yada then to specifically spout off that we arent taking a goalie to try and look smart or throw off other GMS.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Exactly. Its just easier to say nothing we will take BPA yada yada then to specifically spout off that we arent taking a goalie to try and look smart or throw off other GMS.
My point was I very much doubt that is trying to look smart or throw other GMs off. Don't read into these things so hard.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
all scouts around the league know each other and each others tendencies and opinions. they all know that trent mann won't be picking a goalie in the first. so its not like dorion saying so is tipping their hand or anything

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Who is the equivalent of colin white / josh norris in the 15-30 range? Dollars to doughnuts that's who we take.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
all scouts around the league know each other and each others tendencies and opinions. they all know that trent mann won't be picking a goalie in the first. so its not like dorion saying so is tipping their hand or anything
In addition, everyone knows we're looking for quick fixes to sell seats. Goalies don't fit that category.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I've always wondered about the interactions between scouts. For instance, how much do you think teams know each others lists?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If that Kaliyev (sp) kid is available would you all take him?

When I read about him being the best goal scorer but maybe has attitude or work ethic issues I don't see the Sens picking him but seems like a guy to take a flyer on with all that natural talent?

bdp

Aug 21, 2008

When I read about him being the best goal scorer but maybe has attitude or work ethic issues I don't see the Sens picking him but seems like a guy to take a flyer on with all that natural talent?

i wouldn't

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He can score no doubt about that. If his compete level was not a concern he would go higher imo. I think its enough to look elsewhere at 19...but that's just me. I like to see the compete level as a strength.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Not at 19 for me. He seems so polarizing that he might be closer to our 2nd pick when all is said and done

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Doesn't really seem like the type of guy who fits the Sens MO. Personally I've got him ranked between 18-24 (in my 4th tier) so would have no issues taking a flyer on him at #19. That being said, I wouldn't blame the org in the least for going with a perceived "safer" option like Soderstrom, Heinola or Tomasino.

Really doubt he drops as far as #32, so it becomes a bit of a moot point if the team passes on him at #19.

Reactions: GoodGoodnotBad

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Who is the equivalent of colin white / josh norris in the 15-30 range? Dollars to doughnuts that's who we take.

Phillip Tomasnio sticks out immediately, imo. Not quite as defensively reponsible as the other two guys, but still brings a solid two-way game while flashing lots of speed. I've been selling myself on him recently, and I can't help but shake the feeling it's because he's who I think the Sens will end up with. Just seems to fit their recent drafting MO better than other guys in that range.

Dingleberry

Jun 18, 2019
Sens draft MO in recent years:

1. Draft from CHL, USHL, USNDTP, Canadian or US Junior A, Sweden. Probably not from Finland or Russia
2. Projectable frame - not necessarily big and tall, but "thick" players with good lower body strenght and room to grow
3. Don't draft if character concerns - doesn't mean they target high character players with limited skill
4. Good progession - player needs to show marked improvement during their draft year, aka "risers"
5. Not afraid to take overagers early and often - but needs to show #4.

From Bob's list I think these could be realistic targets (including trade-up) that check every box

#13. Alex Newhook - BCHL
#14. Victor Soderstrom - Sweden
#17. Thomas Harley - OHL
#18. Cam York - USNDPT
#20. Ryan Suzuki - OHL
#22. Philip Tomasino - OHL
#24. Samuel Poulin - QMJHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Karlstrobe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad