NHL Entry Draft #19 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was sort of thinking something similar to this, with the Sens budget and lack of scouts in Europe would they have anyone in Germany etc to have a extensive look at a player like Seider? We haven't drafted out of the KHL in ages for similar reasons. He's my pick at 19 but would not be shocked if they didn't take him if available.
Yes, every single team has seen tons of Seider, Sens included.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Interesting that McGuire compared Spencer Knight to Martin Brodeur.

I'd be absolutely fine if we picked him. We probably have to move up but that's ok in my book.

Reactions: Vprime

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
“There’s no doubt we’re getting a player,” Dorion said. “I doubt very much we’ll take a goalie, but you never know, but we feel we’re going to get a top-seven forward or top-four defenceman with whichever direction we take.”

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
“There’s no doubt we’re getting a player,” Dorion said. “I doubt very much we’ll take a goalie, but you never know, but we feel we’re going to get a top-seven forward or top-four defenceman with whichever direction we take.”
No GM will actually admit who they are targeting. So it really means nothing to state this.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I haven't been able to put any time to do my own evaluations and really appreciate the thought you guys put in to this discussion (as well as all the links).

So based on what I have read here I would say if Newhook and Seider are gone I would lean towards Tomasino just due to age, skating and opportunity.

I like the idea of the young riser who seemingly has a lot more upside and also like having elite speed in as many positions as possible.

I guess every team in the league is expecting a top 6 or top 4 player based on how deep this 1st round is though...seems odd to be so excited about 3 picks in top 44 that could all turn out to be legit NHL players.

Question is which ones will bust?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Judging by this thread, it seems Seider is the kid this fanbase is going to overpump this year. Every year it's somebody.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Last year it was Zadina. And the hate for Tkachuk spread like wildfire. Goes to show how much we know.
There was also the year everyone was hot for MPS...and we got em! I wont fault people for missing on prospects which the pros also do, but the group think is a bit odd sometimes.

R2010

May 23, 2011
The board was also really high on Mantha and low on Lazar. That was correct. Same with being high on Teravainen and Tolvanen which would have been better picks at the time. Sometimes the board is right and sometimes wrong.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Identical for me.

My gut tells me we end up with one of Seider or Newhook. Had the same feeling about Tkachuk last year.

I think we will need to trade up to get Newhook, but think it’s possible Seider falls in our lap.

Maybe 19 + 44 for 13? (Florida gets their own pick back?)
If I had to guess who we were picking I'd go with Tomasino (gut). But I'd gladly see them have seider or newhook fall to them (or move up for them)

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The board was also really high on Mantha and low on Lazar. That was correct. Same with being high on Teravainen and Tolvanen which would have been better picks at the time. Sometimes the board is right and sometimes wrong.
Yeah. Its just weird how the board tends to zero in on one particular player. Especially at 19, where there shouldn't be any concensus whatsoever.

Reactions: R2010

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I can see the Panthers being trade partners. Giving them their original 2nd round pick back and a future pick in 2020

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It shouldn’t be about right and wrong, it’s just to silly to overreact to a draft pick who won’t take years to turn out, and especially because mostly everyone has not seen these players or have only started looking them up for a month or few.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I can see the Panthers being trade partners. Giving them their original 2nd round pick back and a future pick in 2020

I don't see any link between having a team's draft pick from a prior trade(s) to identifying such team as a potential future trade partner.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I don't see any link between having a team's draft pick from a prior trade(s) to identifying such team as a potential future trade partner.
If the Sens wanted to trade up to be able the get a guy who's fallen out of the top 10 .The Panthers seem like a good team to trade up with. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Melnyk's objective is to make the playoffs every year with a low budget team. With that approach I see the team never being able to contend for the SC because they will trade away their top UFA players for low quality prospects.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Mostly wrong. I've been watching this act for 20 years on hfboards. :P

R2010

May 23, 2011
Yeah. Its just weird how the board tends to zero in on one particular player. Especially at 19, where there shouldn't be any concensus whatsoever.

Absolutely. I think realistically the board generally just likes players with the flashiest skillset who may be within the range of our pick regardless of other considerations. Analytics say always go for the biggest upside player and the board seems to emulate that a bit overall. I tend to think a team like the sens can't afford to miss so the boom or bust is not ideal for a 1st round pick.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Absolutely. I think realistically the board generally just likes players with the flashiest skillset who may be within the range of our pick regardless of other considerations. Analytics say always go for the biggest upside player and the board seems to emulate that a bit overall. I tend to think a team like the sens can't afford to miss so the boom or bust is not ideal for a 1st round pick.

Sieder is far from the flashiest skillset player in our range. Agree about the upside bit though.

The thing about going for the safe players, is if they are available late in the first, it's because they don't have that elite upside. I think we can't afford to miss out on an impact player just to get a solid 3rd liner with 2nd line upside, so I'd rather roll the dice and go for the homerun rather then bunt and guarantee I get on base. We can find 3rd liners elsewhere, at 19th we have a chance at getting somebody who will be a difference maker.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

For me, it’s a mental thing. I don’t know anything about prospects, but something that I did know was that all the mock drafts the prior months had Sens taking McMichael. Not a fan of the pick.

So admittedly after the Seider hype and a lot of well informed Senators fans started advocating for him, I joined the mob mentality of getting behind him as well.

Also helps that he’s a projected (let’s be generous) top 15 pick so if he fell to 19 he SHOULD be the consensus. Just as Zegras would be consensus 19, Dach would be consensus 19, etc. Just so happens the drop between Seider and the pick is actually within striking distance.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
For me, it’s a mental thing. I don’t know anything about prospects, but something that I did know was that all the mock drafts the prior months had Sens taking McMichael. Not a fan of the pick.

So admittedly after the Seider hype and a lot of well informed Senators fans started advocating for him, I joined the mob mentality of getting behind him as well.

Also helps that he’s a projected (let’s be generous) top 15 pick so if he fell to 19 he SHOULD be the consensus. Just as Zegras would be consensus 19, Dach would be consensus 19, etc. Just so happens the drop between Seider and the pick is actually within striking distance.

Same with Newhook. Chances are both should be picked up before our pick, but both also have the realistic possibility of sliding, so fans get excited to think we might get a higher value kid.

Reactions: Akrapovince

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Same with Newhook. Chances are both should be picked up before our pick, but both also have the realistic possibility of sliding, so fans get excited to think we might get a higher value kid.
Ugh the thought of getting Newhook...

I think Dorion is gonna push to trade up. Use 44 and one of the 2nds next year. We should get a top 10 pick next year plus the SJ pick, but if we can move up to 11-15, we'll probably get someone in our top 10 (Dorion/Mann's list). We have so many middle 6/bottom 4 options, we gotta trade up and find a top 3 forward or defender if we can. Which we have the assets and cap space to do. Really hope he PD can pull it off.

In my opinion, making a play for Newhook could be the biggest move of the rebuild.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't mind knight at 19. Theres also some decent potential late round fallers and early second rounders. Foote is one i would like to see us take in second round.

Reactions: Tkachuckycheese
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad