NHL Entry Draft #19 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not as enamored with the D crop this year as some seem to be. I like Byram (long gone) and York (not a fit in the slightest) and beyond that I'm not impressed. I'm sure I could sell myself on Seider, Soderstrom, Heinola if that's who the Sens picked. I'm also pretty low on Broberg and Harley and would be legitimately disappointed if that's who the Sens went with.

I guess, essentially, what I'm saying is that I hope one of the forwards ranked in the top ~20 fall to our pick. Assuming Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach and Turcotte are gone I'm hoping one of Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Newhook, Brink or Lavoie fall to the Sens pick.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Seider and best C available (fast and gritty). 19th plus Florida 2nd to move up, then 32nd plus eat Vegas cap dump of Clarkson to move up to Vegas 1st rounder.

Reactions: NB613

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Wouldn't take York or Caulfield.

Newhook
Seider
Lavoie
Heinola

Grab one of those guys and we did well for ourselves at 19.

I’ve never seen him play but Caulfield has me intrigued because of his ability to put the puck in the net and the comparisons to Debrincat.

What don’t you like about his game?

Reactions: NB613

beaniewong

Oct 6, 2013
Man i would definitely trade up for Newhook if we falls past 12-13, that kid is electric, wants the puck on his stick like Barzal, and will be the alpha on his line no matter which one he's on.

We don't need anymore complimentary players, we need guys that can drive a line themselves.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I’ve never seen him play but Caulfield has me intrigued because of his ability to put the puck in the net and the comparisons to Debrincat.

What don’t you like about his game?

As someone with their own reservations about Caufield maybe I can step in on this one.

The kid is the definition of one-trick pony. The comparisons to DeBrincat make sense because of the size and shooting ability, but that's where they end, imo. DeBrincat has much better vision and creativity, ultimately making him a (much, imo) better playmaker than Caufield.

Caufield is putting sgnificant (historic even) goal scoring numbers with USNTDP, and obviously goal scoring is the the most important part of the game. He doesn't seem like a guy that will ever be able to do much away from the puck and with his lack of playmaking risks being someone that can be shutdown at the NHL level.

To me, he's probably the most boom/bust guy in the first couple rounds of this draft. The goalscoring upside is obviously enticing, but if that doesn't translate to the next level he's a guy that will have a hard time carving out a role for himself.

Reactions: Six Assets

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A mock draft 2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

In this one we get Seider ... I think that would be excellent. Lavoie still available -- Seider over Lavoie ... that will be close.
Newhook and Broberg -- two on my list are gone by 13
Poulin is available at 32 which would be great as well.

Via Tankathon's rankings 2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon
We get Seider
Newhook , Broberg and Lavoie are gone by 17
Poulin and Pelletier are 24/25
Leason gone in the 1st

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Skill and compete level - Nolan Foote is interesting because the Sens like their pedigree players and he seems like a guy who can cement a 3rd line.

At this point we need top end skill, but I’d rather have a Chris Kelly who cements a 3rd line and is an elite 3rd line player then have a tweener 2nd like player who can’t think the game fast,

Basically I’d rather we take Chris Kelly over Mike Hoffman if those are the options at 19

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Skill and compete level - Nolan Foote is interesting because the Sens like their pedigree players and he seems like a guy who can cement a 3rd line.

At this point we need top end skill, but I’d rather have a Chris Kelly who cements a 3rd line and is an elite 3rd line player then have a tweener 2nd like player who can’t think the game fast,

Basically I’d rather we take Chris Kelly over Mike Hoffman if those are the options at 19
IMO Foote will be available in the 2nd round

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
As someone with their own reservations about Caufield maybe I can step in on this one.

The kid is the definition of one-trick pony. The comparisons to DeBrincat make sense because of the size and shooting ability, but that's where they end, imo. DeBrincat has much better vision and creativity, ultimately making him a (much, imo) better playmaker than Caufield.

Caufield is putting sgnificant (historic even) goal scoring numbers with USNTDP, and obviously goal scoring is the the most important part of the game. He doesn't seem like a guy that will ever be able to do much away from the puck and with his lack of playmaking risks being someone that can be shutdown at the NHL level.

To me, he's probably the most boom/bust guy in the first couple rounds of this draft. The goalscoring upside is obviously enticing, but if that doesn't translate to the next level he's a guy that will have a hard time carving out a role for himself.

Thanks for the detailed response. I think this draft is too important for us to gamble on a 1 dimensional goal scorer in the first round. If he ends up falling to the second, I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice on him then.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Thanks for the detailed response. I think this draft is too important for us to gamble on a 1 dimensional goal scorer in the first round. If he ends up falling to the second, I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice on him then.

I think there's a better chance someone takes a chance on him in the top-10 than seeing him slip to the 2nd. That being said, I agree with your assessment of needing someone more complete. He'd certainly be behind guys like Newhook, Lavoie and Brink on my list. I think the Senators are (mostly) risk averse in the 1st round too, so I don't think Caufield is on the team's radar either.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No clue , as to who or what is available here...But It will be fun to watch and read and learn,as Iam sure there will be many informative posts and clips from the gang here

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
No one. Use this pick plus another one to move up.

I would seriously consider the opposite. I would contemplate moving back and trying to get another 2nd plus. There are quite a number of good players in the late first to second round range. Just watching the draft rankings I have seen quite a lot of shifting of players going from 2nd round to 1st and 1st to 2nd round. Many of the draft ranking organizations have different rankings where some first rounders are in the second round or vice versa. We could end up with 4 or 5 picks in the top 60 and it us possible that a number of them turn out better than some players that get drafted in the teens

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wonder if we'll be able to trade up via taking on bad contracts.

We have some flexibility with those 2nd round picks, both this year, and the future ones. It means if taking on a contract isn't enough, we have other stuff we can throw in.

Florida @ 13 seems like an obvious target to me. There are rumours Luongo will consider LTIRetirement. Luongo is only owed an average of about 1 million per season against a 4.5M LTIRetirement cap hit. FLA might have incentive to move that LTIR cap hit if they do intend to go after Panarin and Bobrovsky.

It's not yet been reported if Luongo is insured, but even so, 1 million against 4.5 million is not very much to pay. It also might help us either hit the floor, or create a buffer above the floor so that the floor doesn't prevent us from making in season deals.

Kesler is rumoured to be LTIRetiring. If he is insured, there's another target at 9th overall. LAK at 5 with Phaneuf and possibly Kovalchuk (if he decides to go back to the KHL, 35+ contract), and DET at 6 with Zetterberg+Franzen are also targets.

Florida seems like the most obvious one to me though. They have clear incentive to make the move. 13 down to 18 isn't all that unrealistic of a drop. I'd hope that if we get up to 13, maybe we can swing to a higher pick from there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wonder if we'll be able to trade up via taking on bad contracts.

We have some flexibility with those 2nd round picks, both this year, and the future ones. It means if taking on a contract isn't enough, we have other stuff we can throw in.

Florida @ 13 seems like an obvious target to me. There are rumours Luongo will consider LTIRetirement. Luongo is only owed an average of about 1 million per season against a 4.5M LTIRetirement cap hit. FLA might have incentive to move that LTIR cap hit if they do intend to go after Panarin and Bobrovsky.

It's not yet been reported if Luongo is insured, but even so, 1 million against 4.5 million is not very much to pay. It also might help us either hit the floor, or create a buffer above the floor so that the floor doesn't prevent us from making in season deals.

Kesler is rumoured to be LTIRetiring. If he is insured, there's another target at 9th overall. LAK at 5 with Phaneuf and possibly Kovalchuk (if he decides to go back to the KHL, 35+ contract), and DET at 6 with Zetterberg+Franzen are also targets.

Florida seems like the most obvious one to me though. They have clear incentive to make the move. 13 down to 18 isn't all that unrealistic of a drop. I'd hope that if we get up to 13, maybe we can swing to a higher pick from there.

I have my doubts personally. Most teams want to look to the future and covet their 1st rounder... that said... in 2016 Detroit traded Datsyuk's contract and the 16th pick to AZ for 20th and 53rd.. So they actually moved down but gained a 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad