Speculation: 19/20 roster

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Guessing you didn't watch the game last night. DDK and Bowey got the most ice time. Bowey is the new Jensen, lol.

AA got the most ice time for forwards and the way he's playing lately, he can carry a line. I would not pair him with Larkin.

I also think DLR is done, hockey ain't worth dying for.

Puempel/Kuffner/Ehn are more NHL ready than Zadina, give him at least another year in the AHL.
Well im sure Bowey will play a lot next season. And who knows what kind of shape Green's gonna be in next fall. But the De La Rose situation, have i missed something? I though sitting him out, was just precaution.

Puempel is a career-AHL guy, no way he's gonna beat Zadina for NHL job. But if Zadina ain't ready yet, then they will just re-sign Vanek.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well im sure Bowey will play a lot next season. And who knows what kind of shape Green's gonna be in next fall. But the De La Rose situation, have i missed something? I though sitting him out, was just precaution.

Puempel is a career-AHL guy, no way he's gonna beat Zadina for NHL job. But if Zadina ain't ready yet, then they will just re-sign Vanek.
It's DLR's second heart episode this season. Fisher retired after his second episode because he couldn't get cleared to play. (Damn shame too.)

Agreed Green is a big question mark. He might be the reason why Kronwall gets a contract.

Puempel plays a different role. Blashill used him in defensive zone starts in lieu of Hirose on the second line. Didn't get a lot of ice time, but does seem to have Blashill's trust. Plus Vanek can't keep up anymore, the team plays more up tempo without him.

Didn't look like Zadina was quite ready in his 9 game stint, Puempel could be a placeholder for a year. I don't see the Wings making any noise until the following season anyways.

I came up with the probable lineup for next year, and I deleted it because it was depressing. The Wings are going to put Abby, Ericsson, and possibly Kronwall in the lineup to start the season, I didn't want to look at it after that.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's DLR's second heart episode this season. Fisher retired after his second episode because he couldn't get cleared to play. (Damn shame too.)

Agreed Green is a big question mark. He might be the reason why Kronwall gets a contract.

Puempel plays a different role. Blashill used him in defensive zone starts in lieu of Hirose on the second line. Didn't get a lot of ice time, but does seem to have Blashill's trust. Plus Vanek can't keep up anymore, the team plays more up tempo without him.

Didn't look like Zadina was quite ready in his 9 game stint, Puempel could be a placeholder for a year. I don't see the Wings making any noise until the following season anyways.

I came up with the probable lineup for next year, and I deleted it because it was depressing. The Wings are going to put Abby, Ericsson, and possibly Kronwall in the lineup to start the season, I didn't want to look at it after that.

I agree with most of what you said, but I do think a Zadina is NHL ready. Or close enough that an offseason of training should have him pretty much good to go. He doesn’t play like Rasmussen, so I think he’d be fine. The one thing would be working on his skating, but everything else seemed fine. More so working out pace than it was being overmatched.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Still makes you wonder how holland will handle that 10+ million in cap he will have this offseason.
Don't give us nightmares.

I agree with most of what you said, but I do think a Zadina is NHL ready. Or close enough that an offseason of training should have him pretty much good to go. He doesn’t play like Rasmussen, so I think he’d be fine. The one thing would be working on his skating, but everything else seemed fine. More so working out pace than it was being overmatched.
We'll see. If he's good to go then great, if not it's Kuffner/Peumpel/Ehn/DLR. Wings are going to suck until Ericsson/Kronwall (assuming 1 yr extension)/Daley/Green contracts expire.

All I know is that I do not want to watch Vanek & Abby. I will take any of the kids first, purely from a spectator's viewpoint.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don’t expect Holland will misuse the cap like some of you dread.

I could see us re-signing Nyquist and going after Karlsson hard if he chooses not to stay in SJ

That’s it

I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Gardner or Myers if we miss on Karlsson. The blueline is crap and needs to be fixed, especially with the forward group appearing to come together so quickly. If we can grab an upgrade like that, do it, and work to deal someone else before the season starts.

Reactions: KJoe88

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I have a sinking feeling that only one of Cholowski or Hronek will be on the team next year.

Reactions: lilidk

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I have a sinking feeling that only one of Cholowski or Hronek will be on the team next year.
I bet Hronek is here to stay, he deserves it with his play. Cholo gets 50+ games with DRW next year, maybe more if we buyout/dump one of Big E/Daley. I love Kronner, but he needs to retire, I only want him back if Big E & Daley are off the roster. ...................Trade for Trouba this summer, sign $6.5M x 7 yrs?

Trouba?-Green
DDK-Hronek (have been pretty solid overal)
Cholo-Bowey
Kronner

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I bet Hronek is here to stay, he deserves it with his play. Cholo gets 50+ games with DRW next year, maybe more if we buyout/dump one of Big E/Daley. I love Kronner, but he needs to retire, I only want him back if Big E & Daley are off the roster. ...................Trade for Trouba this summer, sign $6.5M x 7 yrs?

Trouba?-Green
Cholo-Bowey
Kronner
Trouba would cost a lot, and Winnipeg would want somebody cheap if they trade him or else there would be no point. You'd likely have to start with Veleno and one of our D prospects. If we add any D it would be better to just sign Karlsson (unlikely), Gardiner, or Myers with all of our cap space.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

Trouba?-Green
Cholo-Bowey
Kronner

I would love to get Trouba, but I think his price in a trade would be too high. Our shot at him will be as a UFA. Unless we get a cheeky offer sheet to go through, but thats unlikely.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Trouba would cost a lot, and Winnipeg would want somebody cheap if they trade him or else there would be no point. You'd likely have to start with Veleno and one of our D prospects. If we add any D it would be better to just sign Karlsson (unlikely), Gardiner, or Myers with all of our cap space.
If that's WPG's asking price on Trouba, forget that. Just wait til he's UFA, if he makes it that far. Not trading Hronek or Cholo + Veleno, too much.

For 2c, I'd target Duchene, with Hayes as my backup. Don't resign Nyquist, Hirose is a decent playmaker, younger, cheaper etc. I'd be happy with Hirose @ 10-15G/30-35A /year, or 50+pts, who is at least above average defensively.

EDIT: so I just read this from the article in the Hirose thread..."Taro, led the NCAA in points this past season with 50, 15 Goals, 35 assists Hirose also edged out Wolverines defender Quinn Hughes winning the Big Ten player of the year award."

I'm so happy we didn't take Quinn Hughes, I just never got a good vibe about that pick @6th. Refusing to weigh in & have his height measured at the combine confirmed my gut feeling.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
insane that people actually want to keep abby and helm. they are the new cleary.
Some fans are loyal to players, read the Nyquist argument in the SJS game thread. Saw the same thing wen the Caps were rebuilding with Clark and Laich.

Not worried about what the fans think, I just hope Blash and Holland send Abby to GR next year.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Holland will not trade Cholo or Svech, they ware drafted in the first round . He will give them chance . Hronek already top 4 defenseman , he only going to be better

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
If that's WPG's asking price on Trouba, forget that. Just wait til he's UFA, if he makes it that far. Not trading Hronek or Cholo + Veleno, too much.

For 2c, I'd target Duchene, with Hayes as my backup. Don't resign Nyquist, Hirose is a decent playmaker, younger, cheaper etc. I'd be happy with Hirose @ 10-15G/30-35A /year, or 50+pts, who is at least above average defensively.

EDIT: so I just read this from the article in the Hirose thread..."Taro, led the NCAA in points this past season with 50, 15 Goals, 35 assists Hirose also edged out Wolverines defender Quinn Hughes winning the Big Ten player of the year award."

I'm so happy we didn't take Quinn Hughes, I just never got a good vibe about that pick @6th. Refusing to weigh in & have his height measured at the combine confirmed my gut feeling.

Your gut feeling? The guy was second in big ten voting for player of the year as a sophomore. Hirose is also 3 years older than Hughes. Funny way to say Hughes will not be good. Let’s see what he can do at the NHL level before writing him off.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Holland will not trade Cholo or Svech, they ware drafted in the first round . He will give them chance . Hronek already top 4 defenseman , he only going to be better
I wasn't reffering to a trade. I was referring to one being sent down.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if we go after Gardner or Myers if we miss on Karlsson. The blueline is crap and needs to be fixed, especially with the forward group appearing to come together so quickly. If we can grab an upgrade like that, do it, and work to deal someone else before the season starts.

I really hope they don't go for Myers, he's not what they need. Would be interested in Gardiner though.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I would love to get Trouba, but I think his price in a trade would be too high. Our shot at him will be as a UFA. Unless we get a cheeky offer sheet to go through, but thats unlikely.

Ya never know, if he has already made it clear to Winnipeg he doesn't want to re-sign there after next season, they may be very motivated to trade him this coming offseason. Doesn't mean it wouldn't cost a lot, just maybe a bit less than expected because they want to make sure they can get something for him before he leaves.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I guess knowing that this team is extremely unlikely to buyout or trade anyone who has a bad contract, this is what I predict the team to do (and please don't confuse "predict" with "prefer"):

At forward:

-All 9 guys on 1-way deals for next season return, and all except maybe DLR are expected to be every game players - (Larkin, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, Mantha, Athanasiou, Glendening, Bertuzzi and De La Rose
-Zadina is most likely a regular on the NHL club
-Due to his waiver status, Svechnikov is on the NHL roster, but probably starts off as #13/14 guy
-Vanek doesn't return
-In free agency, Holland kicks the tires on Duchene/Panarin/etc. but doesn't land one
-Instead, he makes another 1-year Vanek like signing, but this time for veteran C that can help drive some offense from the #3C or possibly #2C spot. Probably a Spezza, Filppula, Brassard or someone that gets bought out in June. That player also becomes an asset they can flip at the deadline for a draft pick or two. Yes, I know an offensive center is the ideal projection for Veleno, but I don't see the team going into camp with the hopes he immediately fills that role
-The other 1 or 2 spots are left open for Hirose, Rasmussen, Ehn, Veleno or possibly a top pick from this summers draft
-I also have a feeling that with Blashill returning, Witkowski will still be in the mix to be the spare forward that spends most of his time in the pressbox

On defense:

-Green, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Daley and Bowey all return, with Green, DeKeyser and Daley expected to be regulars in the top 6
-Hronek is with the team full time in a regular role
-They give Kronwall a 1-year if he wants to return
-I would imagine they explore a trade for Trouba, but ultimately don't want to pay the high price and hope that he pushes arbitration to get a one year from the Jets so they can sign him as a UFA next summer
-I have an odd feeling that Holland will look at the fact that DeKeyser is the only veteran D under contract after next season and will look to sign an at least serviceable in a 2nd pairing role vet D for at least 2 years, so he or whoever the GM is in summer 2020 isn't scrambling to sign a dman or two if more than one of Ericsson, Daley or Green (and Kronwall if he comes back for one more year for 19-20) don't return. Because we obviously know this team certainly isn't going to throw their hands up and say "I guess we'll just roll with DeKeyser and a bunch of dudes in their early 20's and get the best lottery odds!"
-For those UFA options, I'm sure he'll explore Karlsson if he becomes available, and look into Myers/Gardiner/etc., but probably ends up with someone like Bouwmeester on a 2 year deal.
-If they have the space (IE Kronwall retires and/or they don't sign a UFA, they carry 8, etc.), Cholowski will have a shot to steal a spot in the top 6, otherwise they carry Sulak or the no longer waiver exempt Hicketts as a spare D, or retain Witkowski in his #14F/8D role

In goal:

-Howard and Bernier return in the same capacity
-Rybar gets extended and takes on the #1 or #1A role for GR
-Sateri is gone and gets replaced by a similar veteran AHL type to back up Rybar as a 1 year stopgap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad