Speculation: 19/20 roster

Dead Thing

Jun 24, 2018
Have rounded off all cap hits
1)Trade Daley(with up to the full 50% retention($1.6 mil)to one of the 15 teams that he does not need to waive his NTC for.
2) Buy out Ericsson. Would result in cap hits of $1.4 mil in each of 19/20 and 20/21-saving $2.8 mil in 19/20 while costing $1.4 in 20/21
3) Re-sign Howard (2 X $3-3.5 mil per)
4) Re-sign Kronner on a 1 yr. deal at $3 mil.
5) Have no interest in re-signing Vanek and/or Nyquist(if Gus re-signs with S.J. or the Sharks make the Cup final, 2020 3rd becomes a 2nd).
6)Realizing that extensions are due for for AA, Bert and Mantha in 20/21, have NO interest in signing any other UFA's(other than Howard and Kronner)

Line up would look like this(actual forward lines subject to coach's whims)

Bert/Larkin/Mantha
Helm/AA/Zadina
Ras/Nielsen/Abby
Puempel/Glenny/Ehn
(Frk/De La Rose)

DDK/Green
Cholo/Hronek
Kronner/Bowey
(Hicketts/Sulak)

Howard/Bernier

Holland has 1 more yr. on his present deal. 99% of the hockey world believes that Stevie Y. will be brought on board after his commitment to T.B. is completed( June 30/19). Stevie would be named senior advisor and take over from Holland after Ken moves to Seattle.

As for Blash, I'm not a real big fan. Team is on pace for 70 pts. this yr. which would be the lowest total in his 4 yrs at the helm. Holland should only give him a 1 yr. extension so that Stevie can pick his own H.C. for 20/21(have no idea who that might/should be).

I acknowledge that the above lineup will not likely make the 19/20 playoffs which is OK as it would give us a chance to draft Alexis Lafreniere who is second in QMJHL scoring with 96 pts(behind Veleno's 98 pts.) Adding these 2 in the next couple of yrs. (along with the possibility if getting Hughes/Kakko this draft) makes for a pretty decent top 9 lineup.

Looking forward to feedback.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
How much cap space would that give us?

And as fans, do you think we might be able to convince team ownership to take what they don’t spend and divide it up amongst us. That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Why would we buy out Ericsson's contract if we don't even need the money next year? Bowey hasn't done anything to deserve a regular spot yet and Kronwall/Ericsson could probably both use maintenance days next year.

There is no guarantee we get Lafreniere next year even if we're dead last. And while he'd likely be our best winger, we don't even have our center, goaltending, or defense depth sorted out. There's a possibility even if we got Hughes, he ends up on the wing, or if we got another center, he may take a couple years to make an impact.

And why would we intentionally avoid guys like Karlsson and Trouba? Players of that quality being openly available is rare. Its going to be a couple years before guys like Hronek and Cholo are capable of anchoring a top 4 spot. Who is going to help them at that time? Dekeyser and a rookie McIsaac?

Windows open and close quickly in today's NHL. I see too many folks wanting to piss away more years on the rebuild when legitimate solutions are available to us. If you strike out on landing an impact player - fine. Play the hand you're dealt. But pass on attainable stars and tank for another year intentionally and by the time we're ready to go, Larkin is going to be asking for the Toews Special, Hronek/Cholo could to be looking for their post-bridge deal payday, and we still may not have the center/defense/goaltending we need.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster
FORWARDS (14)
Right wing: Anthony Mantha ($3,300,000) - Filip Zadina ($925,000) - Kaapo Kakko ($925,000) - Justin Abdelkader ($4,250,000) - Jacob De La Rose ($900,000)

Centre: Dylan Larkin ($6,100,000) - Andreas Athanasiou ($3,000,000) - Frans Nielsen ($5,250,000) - Luke Glendening ($1,800,000)

Left wing: Brock Nelson ($5,500,000) - Tyler Bertuzzi ($1,400,000) - Michael Rasmussen ($894,166) - Darren Helm ($3,850,000) - Evgeny Svechnikov ($863,333)

DEFENSE (8)
Right: Mike Green ($5,375,000) - Madison Bowey ($1,000,000) - Filip Hronek ($714,166) - Joe Hicketts ($800,000)
Left: Danny DeKeyser ($5,000,000) - Jake Gardiner ($6,750,000) - Trevor Daley ($3,166,666) - Dennis Cholowski ($894,166)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jonathan Bernier ($3,000,000) - Jimmy Howard ($3,750,000)
BUYOUTS (3)
Stephen Weiss ($1,666,667) - Xavier Ouellet ($216,667) - Jonathan Ericsson ($1,416,667)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 24
Salary Cap: $82,500,000
Cap Hit: $72,707,498
Cap Space: $9,792,502

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
I am envisioning a scenario where we pick 2nd this year and grab Kakko, but we still bring back most of the same D and Howard doesn’t play out of his mind for half of the next year, at which point we win the lottery and take Lafreniere.

Imagine taking a winger in the top ten four years in a row (assuming Ras doesn’t move back to C).

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Sadly, the only way to rid ourselves of Abby is for there to be another work stoppage and we get ourselves a compliance buyout. Cutting his AAV in half but paying it twice as long just isn’t good business.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Don’t buy out Ericsson, Puempel is way down on the line of people to be brought back. I think Kronwall is done this year personally.

If you are that serious about minimizing cap spend, I would at least utilize some of it and try to move Nielsen at 30% retention or something of the sort. It would give us dead cap of $1.6m for three years. It would be one more year than the buyout of Ericsson, but he is essentially playing at the level of a fringe 3rd/4th liner. If you can reduce his cap hit to like 3.6 million, you might be able to find a team who needs center depth help.

Between Veleno, Rasmussen, Ehn, Turgeon, Glendening, Helm, De La Rose, we have plenty of center depth to manage the 3rd line hole at center. I think if we had a new era, cap master for a GM, we could definitely weasel out of that deal. That’s honestly where I’d put my priority. With the young talent that is coming in to replace the vets, we have the cap flexibility and likely will have more than enough to take $1.6m over 3 years.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Don’t buy out Ericsson, Puempel is way down on the line of people to be brought back. I think Kronwall is done this year personally.

If you are that serious about minimizing cap spend, I would at least utilize some of it and try to move Nielsen at 30% retention or something of the sort. It would give us dead cap of $1.6m for three years. It would be one more year than the buyout of Ericsson, but he is essentially playing at the level of a fringe 3rd/4th liner. If you can reduce his cap hit to like 3.6 million, you might be able to find a team who needs center depth help.

Between Veleno, Rasmussen, Ehn, Turgeon, Glendening, Helm, De La Rose, we have plenty of center depth to manage the 3rd line hole at center. I think if we had a new era, cap master for a GM, we could definitely weasel out of that deal. That’s honestly where I’d put my priority. With the young talent that is coming in to replace the vets, we have the cap flexibility and likely will have more than enough to take $1.6m over 3 years.

The good thing about all the picks Holland has landed is that maybe he can attach one to a bad deal.

Ottawa is going to probably need help hitting the salary floor. I could see them taking a third for one of our contacts.

The problem is all these bad deals we have also have some kind of trade protection. Not sure any of our guys would waive that to head to the Sens.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
1)Trade Daley(with up to the full 50% retention($1.6 mil)to one of the 15 teams that he does not need to waive his NTC for.
2) Buy out Ericsson. Would result in cap hits of $1.4 mil in each of 19/20 and 20/21-saving $2.8 mil in 19/20 while costing $1.4 in 20/21
5) Have no interest in re-signing Vanek and/or Nyquist(if Gus re-signs with S.J. or the Sharks make the Cup final, 2020 3rd becomes a 2nd).
6)Realizing that extensions are due for for AA, Bert and Mantha in 20/21, have NO interest in signing any other UFA's(other than Howard and Kronner)

Bert/Larkin/Mantha
Helm/AA/Zadina
Ras/Nielsen/Abby
Puempel/Glenny/Ehn
(Frk/De La Rose)

DDK/Green
Cholo/Hronek
Kronner/Bowey
(Hicketts/Sulak)

Howard/Bernier

Holland has 1 more yr. on his present deal. 99% of the hockey world believes that Stevie Y. will be brought on board after his commitment to T.B. is completed( June 30/19). Stevie would be named senior advisor and take over from Holland after Ken moves to Seattle.

As for Blash, I'm not a real big fan. Team is on pace for 70 pts. this yr. which would be the lowest total in his 4 yrs at the helm. Holland should only give him a 1 yr. extension so that Stevie can pick his own H.C. for 20/21(have no idea who that might/should be).

I acknowledge that the above lineup will not likely make the 19/20 playoffs which is OK as it would give us a chance to draft Alexis Lafreniere who is second in QMJHL scoring with 96 pts(behind Veleno's 98 pts.) Adding these 2 in the next couple of yrs. (along with the possibility if getting Hughes/Kakko this draft) makes for a pretty decent top 9 lineup.

This is silliness.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The good thing about all the picks Holland has landed is that maybe he can attach one to a bad deal.

Ottawa is going to probably need help hitting the salary floor. I could see them taking a third for one of our contacts.

The problem is all these bad deals we have also have some kind of trade protection. Not sure any of our guys would waive that to head to the Sens.
Helm won't have a choice after this season and Abby wouldn't have a choice after next season. DDK and Nielsen, though, I guarantee they'd be on a Nielsen list and when the time comes DDK. That's basically the extent of our NTCs, though, Green, Daley, and even Ericsson have clauses to be available for the TDL next year.

You are right about Ottawa and the cap floor, though, hadn't really thought about it. They need to add like 16 million in salary this off-season to reach it (I'm assuming it will be around 60 next year).
In house FAs include, RFA Ceci, Oscar Linderg, RFA Colin White, if they want to keep RFA Duclair and backup goalie Anders Nilsson. They're gonna need like 4-6 million more somewhere

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Helm won't have a choice after this season and Abby wouldn't have a choice after next season. DDK and Nielsen, though, I guarantee they'd be on a Nielsen list and when the time comes DDK. That's basically the extent of our NTCs, though, Green, Daley, and even Ericsson have clauses to be available for the TDL next year.

You are right about Ottawa and the cap floor, though, hadn't really thought about it. They need to add like 16 million in salary this off-season to reach it (I'm assuming it will be around 60 next year).
In house FAs include, RFA Ceci, Oscar Linderg, RFA Colin White, if they want to keep RFA Duclair and backup goalie Anders Nilsson. They're gonna need like 4-6 million more somewhere
I'm all for dumping contracts to a team like Ottawa as long as we make good use of the cap otherwise theres no point in giving up assets for the cap relief

Reactions: DInTheB and Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm all for dumping contract to a team like Ottawa as long as we make good use of the cap otherwise theres no point in giving up assets for the cap relief
I meant to add that in my post but I got caught up in the Ottawa cap shit :laugh:

We would only need to ship someone out with an asset if it was absolutely necessary to become compliant.

Reactions: DInTheB

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How much cap space would that give us?

And as fans, do you think we might be able to convince team ownership to take what they don’t spend and divide it up amongst us. That would be awesome.

That's a cap floor team.

We go over the floor thanks to Zetterberg and Franzen contracts, but that's about it.

Cap floor teams end up to Bottom3.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Bert/Larkin/Mantha
Helm/AA/Zadina
Ras/Nielsen/Abby
Puempel/Glenny/Ehn
(Frk/De La Rose)

DDK/Green
Cholo/Hronek
Kronner/Bowey
(Hicketts/Sulak)

Howard/Bernier

A little more detail.

-Puempel isn't gonna make the NHL. And even if he did, he's not playing over De La Rose. Hell, I think the Wings go longshot and bring up Veleno before they play Puempel.
-They're going to have 18M+ in cap. They're not going to avoid adding a forward for s's and g's. They don't need to go long term like madmen, but they're going to add.
-Howard is getting closer to his 5.3M he has now.
-Daley is cheap enough that you don't need to retain on him if you wanted to deal him. Retaining probably wouldn't bump the return much.

-Did you see the Wings this season when their top 4 D (DDK, Green, Ericsson, and Daley) were out? Games like this 8-1 drubbing were commonplace. They're not gonna go with 5 young kids like that in their 8 deep D
.-Blash is on pace for 70 points because the team is godawful. Hoewver... in games when they haven't been crazy injured, they've actually been very competitive. That's a testament to good coaching, not bad.

This lineup is not likely to win 20 games, let alone even dream of the playoffs.

Reactions: 14ari13

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Holland’s comments about making the playoffs next year hint that he’s going to burn that cap space for aging players to try and get us back in the playoffs but we’re going to be bottom 3 again. I’d rather cheer for another shot at top talent in the 2020 draft.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
why would we buy out ericsson only to re-sign kronwall to fill his spot? seems silly. no point in buying him out if we don't need the cap space now, which we don't. all that would do is give us less cap space in a few years when the wings are actually on the upswing.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad