Speculation: 19/20 roster

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Stretch without Larkin showed that nobody steps up . I don't think we should blame AA, who doesn't play his natural position , he is not first line player . Lil Bert , just like Aby always plays hard , but they both have their limitation . I don't care no more about loosing , you never know who you will get at the draft . Better showcase Mantha , if we can trade him at the draft . I believe Jiri Fisher doing great job , hope we have team in couple years

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, it's not a joke. When the whole roster as constructed is currently healthy, they play teams tough and lose close games.

When that prospective roster is fully healthy, they'd be getting their doors blown off.

You really think that Athanasiou and Bertuzzi are the difference between tough and joke? Seriously?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You really think that Athanasiou and Bertuzzi are the difference between tough and joke? Seriously?

No, I think that insisting on bringing in Kunin, Vecchione, and Fischer is a net loss.

I think that bringing up Givani Smith who isn't even that great in the AHL over someone else is a net loss.

I'm wary of Svechnikov vs Little Bert in talent.

I think you get worse going Glendening to Turgeon.

I actually think you are vastly underrating what some of our older D are capable of. That top pairing of DDK-Green is bad. Hicketts-Bowey will be a ****ing nightmare defensively. Why on Earth would you not play Hronek or Cholowski?

You might think the only drop off is Bert and AA, but you're not remotely close to right on that. I think you are severely overestimating the ability of young players to come in and play and severely underestimating the capabilities of the exiting players.

This roster is bad. And not even like "ah, they're young and probably have more upside if they learn" bad. Swapping out that many pieces will quite literally make this season we are going through right now worthless. Because you swap out that many guys and you're saying another year or two to see whether they're worthless or not.

Wings are far close to playoffs and being good than they are to needing for some reason to torch everyone who isn't Larkin.

Reactions: cheesehead9099

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No, I think that insisting on bringing in Kunin, Vecchione, and Fischer is a net loss.

I think that bringing up Givani Smith who isn't even that great in the AHL over someone else is a net loss.

I'm wary of Svechnikov vs Little Bert in talent.

I think you get worse going Glendening to Turgeon.

I actually think you are vastly underrating what some of our older D are capable of. That top pairing of DDK-Green is bad. Hicketts-Bowey will be a ****ing nightmare defensively. Why on Earth would you not play Hronek or Cholowski?

You might think the only drop off is Bert and AA, but you're not remotely close to right on that. I think you are severely overestimating the ability of young players to come in and play and severely underestimating the capabilities of the exiting players.

This roster is bad. And not even like "ah, they're young and probably have more upside if they learn" bad. Swapping out that many pieces will quite literally make this season we are going through right now worthless. Because you swap out that many guys and you're saying another year or two to see whether they're worthless or not.

Wings are far close to playoffs and being good than they are to needing for some reason to torch everyone who isn't Larkin.

This is way overblown.

You seriously think that Bertuzzi is more talented than Svechnikov just because Evgeny has been injured for months? Come on. Bertuzzi isn't bad but him and Athanasiou both peaked this season. Time to acquire assets and move on with the rebuild.

Cholowski and Hronek both proved to be not NHL ready and they should have never exposed them to such a situation. I'd keep both them and Zadina down in GR all season and they should probably even do the same with Rasmussen who had his struggles, too.

I don't think that Glendening is any better than Turgeon...and even if it won't be the difference between tough and joke.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This is way overblown.

You seriously think that Bertuzzi is more talented than Svechnikov just because Evgeny has been injured for months? Come on. Bertuzzi isn't bad but him and Athanasiou both peaked this season. Time to acquire assets and move on with the rebuild.

Cholowski and Hronek both proved to be not NHL ready and they should have never exposed them to such a situation. I'd keep both them and Zadina down in GR all season and they should probably even do the same with Rasmussen who had his struggles, too.

I don't think that Glendening is any better than Turgeon...and even if it won't be the difference between tough and joke.
I don't know if you're watching the game through literal **** tinted glasses but your evaluation of players is way off. Hronek is playing big time minutes, has been near half a point per game, and relative to the rest of the team has had a positive affect on the ice. Cholowski I agree with, he got worn down. Glendening is way better than Turgeon. Turgeon plays Glendening's role but in the AHL. We've already debated our views on Zadina.

Last edited by a moderator:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
This is way overblown.

How can you possibly claim that Bert and AA have peaked? Do you have a crystal ball?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Lol, Some of the ideas here... You might as well have RedWings switch cities with those. If the Caesars arene is half empty now, imagine how empty it will be when the team is down 5 nothing before halfway through the first period. (Thats an exxageration but you will be looking at blowouts night in and night out)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How can you possibly claim that Bert and AA have peaked? Do you have a crystal ball?

I think it's more likely that they did than not. We're about to find out but I've seen so many players fall off a cliff after one good season that I'm ready to move on from them right now while their value is high.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Mantha, AA, and Bert are all likely support players. I think they can all play in the top 6 but the aren't likely to be line drivers.

Larkin is a star and can drive his owm line. There are few wingers in this league that can (Kucherov, Kane, Ovy), so expecting the above to is asking a lot already.

The Wings have good forward depth but need another driver like Larks. The hope is that Zads or our 2019 draft pick can become one.

Defense is another mess but as long as Cholo and Hronek get spots next year (outside of them looking completely lost) then I'm good with the rest.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I think it's more likely that they did than not. We're about to find out but I've seen so many players fall off a cliff after one good season that I'm ready to move on from them right now while their value is high.

AA and Little Bert have over the last two years in Bert's case and three in AA's case have had a consistent bump up in stats. Bert's S% normalized a little bit as this year went along too. AA went like 17-33-42(pace probably 48). Little Bert was 24 in 48 last year and 33 in 62 this year.

What the hell are you talking about one good season? There is actually very little to imply that either of them are topped out. I mean their stats are improving while the rest of the team gets worse around them.

I'm not saying that you jealously hoard them if a deal that makes you better is out there... but it's stupid as hell to trade them to try to "beat the decline" with guys like that.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, what's scary about all these "make the team even worse" scenarios is what it could mean for Larkin's future.

They've got 4 more seasons to put together a competitive team before their current best player could potentially walk as a 26YO UFA.

If the team is still a dumpster fire at the bottom of the league, I have to think Larkin would at least test the market and consider going to a contender. Otherwise, I doubt he's going to take some friendly hometown discount to be one of the few things that fills half the seats at LCA.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Basically what it comes down to is that the vets that everyone *****es about are never as bad as they are painted to be. I'm not saying that they should keep them all or that only vets are good, but people treat them all like they're going around kicking puppies and they're giving up every single play ever. Guys like Kronwall now still make 85% of the plays and generally know where to be. When you are all inexperienced, they'll make more plays on some things due to being more athletic, but they'll give up things that are nothing plays for the old dogs. I've noticed a couple with Hronek that he gets himself way out of position by pinching or whatever where a more seasoned player doesn't do that. And you just can't have a whole roster of young kids, because they'll all make mistakes like that and then it is way harder to diagnose and work with them to improve that.

Reactions: kliq and Henkka

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Basically what it comes down to is that the vets that everyone *****es about are never as bad as they are painted to be. I'm not saying that they should keep them all or that only vets are good, but people treat them all like they're going around kicking puppies and they're giving up every single play ever. Guys like Kronwall now still make 85% of the plays and generally know where to be. When you are all inexperienced, they'll make more plays on some things due to being more athletic, but they'll give up things that are nothing plays for the old dogs. I've noticed a couple with Hronek that he gets himself way out of position by pinching or whatever where a more seasoned player doesn't do that. And you just can't have a whole roster of young kids, because they'll all make mistakes like that and then it is way harder to diagnose and work with them to improve that.

That's why guys like Hronek or Cholowski shouldn't have been with the Wings this season. They're playing on a struggling team and are struggling themselves. All they learned this season is how to lose hockey games and next season won't be much different.

In my scenario, I sent three of youngest players to GR and I'd be open to do the same with Rasmussen. Bringing Kronwall back probably would be a waste of a spot for a rebuilding team like the Redwings ...especially with Ericsson, Daley being unmovable deadweight. I'd still do it if he wants to play on. Firstly he deserves it after giving it all for the Franchise and secondly you need guys who lead by example. No better role model than Kronwall. If they keep Kronwall I'd like Holland to lose one of Daley/Ericsson to make room for Sulak or DeKeyser but it probably won't be easy.

Nothing like Kronwall. But guys like Glendening, Helm or Vanek really should be gone after this season. In an ideal world you add Ericsson, Daley, Abdelkader and even Nielsen to that list but Mr.Holland was smart enough to ensure that this wasn't gonna happen.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Vanek is the most skilled player on the team . Why doesn't he played with Larkin on the first line . Don't have to be full game , but come on. I believe Mantha can improve quantity third line , Vanek should improve quality of first line

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
The team would be bad (because that's the goal) but not worse than what we're seeing now. Athanasiou and Bertuzzi are pretty much the only guys with some actual upside that I let go in that scenario. Everybody else can get replaced with a better AHLer or even worse. Stolarz is better than Bernier, I expect Svetchnikov to have an immediate impact, Kunin and Fischer need a change of scenery but are top9 guys, too. Folin is a righty and a solid 5th/6th defender who only just turned 28. Vecchione is a wildcard of course but an interesting one.

You don’t seem to have hockey knowledge

Reactions: lilidk

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated 2019-2020 Roster

FORWARDS (12)

Right wing: Anthony Mantha ($3,300,000) - Filip Zadina ($925,000) - Darren Helm ($3,850,000) - Justin Abdelkader ($4,250,000)
Centre: Dylan Larkin ($6,100,000) - Andreas Athanasiou ($3,000,000) - Frans Nielsen ($5,250,000) - Luke Glendening ($1,800,000)
Left wing: Tyler Bertuzzi ($1,400,000) - Taro Hirose ($925,000) - Evgeny Svechnikov ($863,333) - Ryan Kuffner ($925,000)

DEFENSE (6)
Right: Mike Green ($5,375,000) - Tyler Myers ($6,150,000) - Filip Hronek ($714,166)
Left: Danny DeKeyser ($5,000,000) - Dennis Cholowski ($894,166) - Jonathan Ericsson ($4,250,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jimmy Howard ($4,000,000) - Jonathan Bernier ($3,000,000)

BUYOUTS (2)
Stephen Weiss ($1,666,667) - Xavier Ouellet ($216,667)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
Salary Cap: $82,000,000
Cap Hit: $66,529,999
Cap Space: $15,470,001

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Bert is not the type of player you build a team around, but is the type of player you need to go deep in the playoffs. He may be the best on the team when it comes to puck battles. His hand-eye coordination is outstanding. His work ethic is consistently high. Nothing from his play would suggest he has peaked. I do have concern regarding his longevity due to his concussion history.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated 2019-2020 Roster

FORWARDS (12)

Right wing: Anthony Mantha ($3,300,000) - Filip Zadina ($925,000) - Darren Helm ($3,850,000) - Justin Abdelkader ($4,250,000)
Centre: Dylan Larkin ($6,100,000) - Andreas Athanasiou ($3,000,000) - Frans Nielsen ($5,250,000) - Luke Glendening ($1,800,000)
Left wing: Tyler Bertuzzi ($1,400,000) - Taro Hirose ($925,000) - Evgeny Svechnikov ($863,333) - Ryan Kuffner ($925,000)

DEFENSE (6)
Right: Mike Green ($5,375,000) - Tyler Myers ($6,150,000) - Filip Hronek ($714,166)
Left: Danny DeKeyser ($5,000,000) - Dennis Cholowski ($894,166) - Jonathan Ericsson ($4,250,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jimmy Howard ($4,000,000) - Jonathan Bernier ($3,000,000)

BUYOUTS (2)
Stephen Weiss ($1,666,667) - Xavier Ouellet ($216,667)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
Salary Cap: $82,000,000
Cap Hit: $66,529,999
Cap Space: $15,470,001
Ericsson over Bowey and Daley? Puempel looks more NHL ready than Zadina at this point. I'd rather see Abby in GR instead of Ras or Ehn. That being said, it looks like another bottom 10 finish, there's not enough scoring ability on the team.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
This is way overblown.

This is all kinds of crazy.

All four mentioned will only improve. Peaked? Not ready?

Wth... what a big oof.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The one critical factor is if and when Yzerman rejoins the team.

If Tampa wins the cup, I could see Yzerman being released from his contract early. Say just after the finals end. Then he would have an impact on moving veterans at the draft and what happens during free agency.

Otherwise, there may not be many changes. Hirose appears to be an NHLer. They will have to find room for Svechnikov. Kronwall will be back on a one year deal if he wants to play.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
If we get Hughes or Kakko

Bert- Larkin- Mantha
AA- Hughes- Zadina or Kakko- AA- zadina
Svechnikov- Nielsen- Hirose
Helm- Glenny- Abby- Ehn

Cholo- Green
DK- Hronek
Kronwall- Bowey
Daley- E

Went with 13 and 8 because of Daley and E but if they are able to move one of them then that opens up a spot up front for maybe a Peumpal, very outside chance Valeno and in that case he’s knoecked the doors off and would slot into the 3C moving frans to the 4C. I think Rass needs some time in GR to gain confidence and really dominate there so he is ready to play at NHL level. Hopefully we are able to move Helm to open up a spot for him throughout the year, glenny May be moved as well even though I absolutely love him we just have so many of the 4th line players and glenny is the only moveable one due to performance and contract.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we get Hughes or Kakko

Bert- Larkin- Mantha
AA- Hughes- Zadina or Kakko- AA- zadina
Svechnikov- Nielsen- Hirose
Helm- Glenny- Abby- Ehn

Cholo- Green
DK- Hronek
Kronwall- Bowey
Daley- E

Went with 13 and 8 because of Daley and E but if they are able to move one of them then that opens up a spot up front for maybe a Peumpal, very outside chance Valeno and in that case he’s knoecked the doors off and would slot into the 3C moving frans to the 4C. I think Rass needs some time in GR to gain confidence and really dominate there so he is ready to play at NHL level. Hopefully we are able to move Helm to open up a spot for him throughout the year, glenny May be moved as well even though I absolutely love him we just have so many of the 4th line players and glenny is the only moveable one due to performance and contract.
If we got Hughes , please let him stay away for at least 1 year, I didn't want him to get killed in the men league. Rasmussen will be fine next season. I don't think Vanek will be gone. Svechnikov skating wasn't that good before he got knee injury, I don't know if he is going to be with Wings. Zadina needs one more year in GR ,Cholowski probably to.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad