18/19 MGMT thread VII. WARNING POST #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Coilers had a couple years of Eakins in that period. Jeebus, even coach 1-2-3-4 is better than coach swarm.

And we had good ol Willie.

See in that respect I think we got it better - both coaches are laughably incompetent, but at least Willie got an awesome mustache and is more or less a likable person in front of the media, if not a little senile every now and then.

Eakins always comes off as a HUGE dbag who talks down on everyone, while looking like a leather puppet brooding harder than Superman from Man of Steel.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Maybe that is what is needed to get him fired. If so, I am all for it.

If it's ownership push how do you fire your gm for doing exactly what was ordered .?
Blame Benning for what he is responsible for that is fair nut not what an owner does .

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
At least we aren’t the Oilers, my god. How the holy hell did Chia and Benning win a cup.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
At least we aren’t the Oilers, my god. How the holy hell did Chia and Benning win a cup.
Did you see Chia just another good skating forward in Zykov to waivers? How on earth does he still have a job in hockey? He has three useless heavyweight fighters on his team that dress and play every night in an era when most teams have none and loses useful players like Pontus Aberg and now Zykov to waivers because he doesn't have room on his shitty, slow as molasses loser team?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Would you guys deal Tanev (let's say a late 1st and 2nd, bare minimum for the return) if we knew we could get Stralman in free agency (let's say $5-6 mill x 4-5 years)? If Tampa wants to take a run at Karlsson, there's a chance they don't re-sign Stralman.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
January is big for rest of the season. The Canucks have their softest schedule stretch. 3 road games done by the 5th. Then 6 home games. Lots of practice time. They play by rank:

2nd Toronto
11th Buffalo
15th Montreal
20th Florida
22nd Edmonton
24th Carolina
25th Detroit
26th Arizona
31st Ottawa

6-2-1 gets them to 55 points or an 88 point pace. The current line is a 90 point pace. Anything less and I think they need to start looking at selling.

There is too much parity and being two games over .500 isn't good enough.

The teams around the canucks will be within 1gp of us. (ducks, stars, oilers, wild)

Last edited:

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Would you guys deal Tanev (let's say a late 1st and 2nd, bare minimum for the return) if we knew we could get Stralman in free agency (let's say $5-6 mill x 4-5 years)? If Tampa wants to take a run at Karlsson, there's a chance they don't re-sign Stralman.

Not me! I get the idea you are going for, but wrong player to "replace" Tanev, and not enough return to give up what he can do. Agreed that AS is a good hockey player today but another guy on term and dollars who will be 33 to start the season. 2 year deal, then I might want him in the uniform (and won't happen), but that would not mean I would feel comfortable trading Tanev for a late 1st and a late 2nd (we need him to shelter the young guys coming into the system- and although Stralman would be a good addition, he can't do what Tanev can).

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Stralman is miles better than Tanev but I think we should be saving our cap space for someone younger. I'd sign someone like Tim Heed to a 2-3 year contract and he shouldn't cost more than 2 million or so. I think he has breakout potential.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Can we all agree that this next summer will be a make or break FA period for the Jimbo led management. They have the chance to screw us for years to come if they swing for the fences and miss.

Even the most hardcore Benning supporters will have to admit that this summer is a crossroad for the team and if they do a Loui Eriksson part deux the team will be hamstrung for years to come.

Or are there some folk who are willing to give him another mulligan, even if the next summer is a disaster?

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Their opponent, perhaps the most dominant team of the post-cap era, was injured from top to bottom. Man, do I feel sorry for how badly the fanbase of that team has been screwed over by history.
To be fair, they did manage to build a legitimately good team.

But overall, I agree.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
To be fair, they did manage to build a legitimately good team.

But overall, I agree.

Not to take anything away from them but a very lucky team. A team that won game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals thanks to a penalty less game against a team that feasted on the PP. then played a team that was decimated by injuries.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not to take anything away from them but a very lucky team. A team that won game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals thanks to a penalty less game against a team that feasted on the PP. then played a team that was decimated by injuries.

I mean, they made it to the finals the year after as well.

I don't like giving those buffoons any credit but it wasn't like some crazy bizarre fluke.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You have to be good to be lucky... well to sustain the luck.
They made it to back-to-back finals and won a cup. Their success was only due to luck to the extent that any team's might be. They were clearly one of the best 2-3 teams in the league at that time.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Can we all agree that this next summer will be a make or break FA period for the Jimbo led management. They have the chance to screw us for years to come if they swing for the fences and miss.

Even the most hardcore Benning supporters will have to admit that this summer is a crossroad for the team and if they do a Loui Eriksson part deux the team will be hamstrung for years to come.

Or are there some folk who are willing to give him another mulligan, even if the next summer is a disaster?

What worries me is that the top tier free agents will probally sign somewhere else, so Benning will sign someone like Eberle or Johansson to a long-term, big-money deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad