18/19 MGMT thread VII. WARNING POST #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
First thing to keep in mind is to look at the point% standings.

If one does that you see a team that sits 11th in the conference. They need to jump Edmonton, Anaheim and Minnesota to make the dance as it stands right now.

Set the wildcard spot at 92 points...The Wild pace is 90 points right now so 92 seems a fair target.

Canucks than need 48 points in their last 37 games. Simple way to look at it is 24-13. 11 games over 0.500 (not that 0.500 exists in that sense anymore given OTL). Even in this good stretch since the beginning of December everyone wants to point to, they have 19 points in 17 games. That puts them at about 41 points over those last 37 games if they were to play the same. Play based on Pettersson and Markstrom with a 0.940 sv%. 7 points doesn't seem like much of a difference but it is. Over a full year that can be the difference between 4 or 5 spots in the standings...ovr half a year a team would really have to improve their play to get the extra needed to make it to the playoffs.

No this management team and ownership shouldn't be thinking playoffs this year. I'd bet my life that they are but they shouldn't be. They should be looking at the roster and seeing much of what y2k posted. A few core pieces in place (not enough of them), a few decent complimentary pieces, a couple take them or leave them, 6-8 players that absolutely must be moved and improved upon to be a good playoff team moving forward and a farm system in desperate need of depth.

The priority should be on convincing Edler to waive his NTC with an expectation that you would want to sign him in the summer. He is the most valuable trade chip they have today thanks to his play this year. The priority should be on moving Schaller, Eriksson, Real Gud, Poo, Del Zaster, Granlund, and I'll throw in Roussel, Beagle and Sutter. Now I don't expect all to be moved but you need to a move a handful and get what you can for them. If I'm GM I'm looking to move two of my big ticket guys Edler, Tanev and Sutter for substantial returns as the deadline looms.

I don't expect any of that. I expect Hutton and Goldobin get traded. Edler extended. Markstrom falls back to a 0.910-0.915 SV%. The canucks finish in 11-13th place in the conference and ownership pretends they and management know what they are doing. And we go through it all again next year.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
NCAA player who best "exhibits strength of character both on and off the ice" and "contributes to the integrity of the team and displays outstanding skills in all phases of the game"

Candidates must:
• Show scholastic achievement and sportsmanship
• Exhibit strength and character, both on and off the ice
• Contribute to the integrity of the team
• Display outstanding skills in all phases of the game

- Hobey Baker Committee

It's a Bill Masterton and Hart in one throphy.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's a Bill Masterton and Hart in one throphy.

Yeah that's a good description

But at its whole, it rewards players for STAYING in school. Key word being Staying

Since 2000, how many sophomore's or freshman have won the award??
In the last 19 years only one, and that was Jack Eichel.
It is an upperclassman award.

Reactions: 420Canuck and WTG

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Very interested to see what Benning does with Edler. Apparently they are having internal meetings about it next week.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
What would you suggest? Web-site + online kick-starter?

Campaign of cheaper stuff. Just putting flyers on the posts and on the walls around the arena would get some attention and could be done by posters here. Even buying someone like an airplane banner is cheaper than a billboard.

Just getting a little bit of attention in the media is what we need and it can be done cheaper than a billboard IMO.

I also think we should be doing coordinated shilling on Reddit drilling the same talking points as each other to sow discontent prior to any advertising campaign to prime as much as the fanbase as we can for a reaction that hopefully publicly divides the fanbase. I thought we should make a discord for that as I'm pretty sure that would be walking a dangerously fine line with "raiding" another site, if not crossing it altogether, which I assume would violate HF rules.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The last page or so of RMB posts really demonstrates that he is either an abject moron or trolling this forum by posting intentionally stupid things. And by suggesting this I am not attacking RMB as a poster, I am simply stating an inescapable basic conclusion. Like, there really isn't any middle ground when you initially praise management for drafting a half dozen players since they were all Hobey Baker winners or finalists, when in reality one player wasn't even drafted by management and all but one were not winners or finalists, and then you go on to simultaneously criticize the committee that selects Hobey Baker finalists while making some ass backwards argument that the players put forward are actually Hobey Baker finalists since they should have been Hobey Baker finalists. You honestly can't make this kind of stuff up.

bruh

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Benning would've been fired by now then. With Pettersson carrying this team into wildcard territory, you can bet it bought Benning another year or so.

Unfortunately that's how I see it as well. He got away with playing the 'injuries' card with guys like Sutter and Gudbranson, but this time it's actually pretty accurate to say had Pettersson stayed healthy the whole time we'd be in a wild card position.

Not that this should work as an excuse either way, just with the extremely low bar Benning has been able to set for himself with ownership
unfortunately it's likely going to give him another year.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Unfortunately that's how I see it as well. He got away with playing the 'injuries' card with guys like Sutter and Gudbranson, but this time it's actually pretty accurate to say had Pettersson stayed healthy the whole time we'd be in a wild card position.

Not that this should work as an excuse either way, just with the extremely low bar Benning has been able to set for himself with ownership
unfortunately it's likely going to give him another year.

We're becoming the Edmonton Oilers. Reliant on one or two players, with garbage surrounding them. And a lot of Canuck fans are happy about this.

Reactions: Mr4legs
May 31, 2006
DwmaaUZVsAEkzTS.jpg:large

Mission accomplished!

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
What the... I've been calling Aquillini a frumpy bitch for months and he won't block me. When the Leicester City owner exploded I told him he should start taking helicopters to Rogers Arena. What will it take??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->