18/19 MGMT thread VII. WARNING POST #25

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

Hughes I agree with...he was drafted high in the 1st round so he better be one of our best prospects.

Madden and Woo were just drafted this past draft....like I said: shiny new prospect syndrome.

DiPietro looks good, as does Demko, though I've seen a lot of highly ranked goalies bust. Just like we see some goalies who were never ranked highly make it. So hard to predict how a goalie will adapt.

A year ago you would have argued that Kole Lind, Jonah Gadjovich, Jonathan Dahlen, Adam Gaudette, and Olli Juolevi were among our best prospects. What happened? Oh yeah, they all got to the pro level and they all flamed out.

We have written off all of the above now?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
But how many teams out there have multiple grade A prospects? Most grade A prospects have just been drafted...otherwise they are already in the NHL, if they are grade A.

Are you saying the Canucks have those multiple grade A prospects? Dont see anyone besides Hughes in the Canucks system but maybe we just have a different definition what grade A means.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sure...we don't have any real prospects on the farm....cause Benning has basically crapped the bed.
Nothing really wrong with the prospects we have on the farm, it's just tough to look good when you're surrounded by **** on the Comets (continuing the pattern of solid amateur scouting *AND* substandard pro scouting). This is the guy/management team we want to surround our graduated prospects (who've become more than solid NHLers) with the same **** (eg., Guds, Schaller, etc.,).

Reactions: Jack Burton

member 290103

Where do you see that we're writing them off? I don't think anyone is. Just stating the facts that they haven't looked good at the pro level, and players who go on to become impact players at the NHL level generally dominate the AHL by the time they get there.

No, fair enough, I read it as though you basically had. From the list you have provided, the likes of Lind and Gajovich are unlikely to be NHL players. Juolevi, Guadette and Dahlen I still think will all play, but as to how effective they will be in the NHL, who knows.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Funny how insignificant people make our drafted prospects seem yet have a meltdown when we don’t pick up picks at the deadline.

In any event, our management is still s***. The sad part is the worst is yet to come as they try to make this undercooked “rebuild” into a team on the upswing. We should be targeting coming out of the expansion draft in 2 seasons as when we could legitimately compete.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Funny how insignificant people make our drafted prospects seem yet have a meltdown when we don’t pick up picks at the deadline.
Because time and again, quantity has proven to be the most important aspect of successful drafting. Everyone is aware that most prospects won't become impact players. That's why we've been clamoring for as many picks as possible in the course of what should be a rebuild. Nothing inconsistent there at all – if you want to strike gold, you have to maximize your land.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Nothing really wrong with the prospects we have on the farm, it's just tough to look good when you're surrounded by **** on the Comets (continuing the pattern of solid amateur scouting *AND* substandard pro scouting). This is the guy/management team we want to surround our graduated prospects (who've become more than solid NHLers) with the same **** (eg., Guds, Schaller, etc.,).

Excellent post.

For a team that's re-tooling or rebuilding....One would "THINK" that a little effort would be put into building up our minor system to improve the future........5 years later and our "best" prospects are surrounded by junk just like the big club.

The failure of our prized prospects who entered our system for the first time should be a real eye opener to what this club will be in the future.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Just something to chew on:

At the end of this season, Benning will have been here for 5 seasons. Gillis was here for 6. He's nearing the same tenure.
Doesn't matter.

Benning was brought it to re-tool this team while the Sedins where under contract for 4 more years

We all knew it was a impossible task and he had to do what his boss asked

Look at all our prozzzzzzpects! Their awesome and we wouldn't have em if it wasn't for Benning!

Am I doing this right?

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

At the end of this season, Benning will have been here for 5 seasons. Gillis was here for 6. He's nearing the same tenure.

I was thinking about this at the time Benning was extended.

Seems crazy that Benning/Weisbrod could possibly have a longer tenure with the organization than Gillis who's record in those 6 seasons at the helm was;

GP:458 W:261 L:146 OTL:51 Winning %: 0.569 Post Season GP:56 W:28 L:28 Win %:0.500

Benning - 5th season

GP:372 W:160 L:171 OTL:42 Winning %: 0.430 Post Season GP:6 W:2 L:4 Win %:0.333

Go back a little further and see how Nonis and Burke performed pre Gillis,

Nonis - 3 seasons

GP:246 W:130 L:91 OTL:25 Winning %: 0.528 Post Season GP:12 W:5 L:7 Win %:0.416

Burke - 6 seasons

GP:492 W:219 L:181 T:68 OTL:24 Winning %:0.445 Post Season GP:31 W:12 L:19 Win %:0.387

Looks doubtful that Benning will be removed this season. Perhaps next year but unless its a complete tire fire, can't see Aqualini removing his serviceable and obedient GM.

It's baffling if you look at the results as the current GM has the worst winning percentage over the past 2 decades.

Worst performance in both the regular season and playoffs! FFS!

What's it gonna take for the levee to break?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Serious question: is there anything that could happen in the next year that would actually get Benning and Weisbrod fired?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Serious question: is there anything that could happen in the next year that would actually get Benning and Weisbrod fired?

These are the Aquinlini's we're talking about, no playoffs next year and he's 100% gone

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

It's inexplicable that Benning has held his job for so long. And even more mindboggling that after all this time there are still people who look at his body of work and think that he's done a good job.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
These are the Aquinlini's we're talking about, no playoffs next year and he's 100% gone

Benning would've been fired by now then. With Pettersson carrying this team into wildcard territory, you can bet it bought Benning another year or so.

member 290103

Are you saying the Canucks have those multiple grade A prospects? Dont see anyone besides Hughes in the Canucks system but maybe we just have a different definition what grade A means.

Which teams have multiple grade A prospects, just so I am clear on what this is referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad