Prospect Info: 17th Overall Dante Fabbro

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't like it that it makes him available at ED, but I think two seasons plus this one is still too much time to be worried about single players. Things change so fast.

Reactions: Tex76

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't like it that it makes him available at ED, but I think two seasons plus this one is still too much time to be worried about single players. Things change so fast.
This. 2 years is a looooong time in hockey. Last year Ellis and Subban were good. This year they are bums. By June 2021 we could be praying that Seattle takes either one of them off our hands. Or by then maybe Josi or Ekholm turn into bums. Or Fabbro could be a reincarnation of Blum. Etc. I like that Poile isn't playing games with Fabbro. Just treat him like he deserves to be treated as an individual player relative to his prospect peers, and it's up to Poile to shoulder the responsibility of dealing with any future ramifications.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
with all these "all in" moves, poile better seriously hope he hasn't been duped by this core.

we are set up to really suck in 4-5 years. im all for the tank if this core continues to underachieve.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
If he's good enough to help us now, play him and worry about the expansion draft when it comes around.

This roster is going to look a lot different by time anyway so worrying about it now does absolutely no good.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If he's good enough to help us now, play him and worry about the expansion draft when it comes around.

This roster is going to look a lot different by time anyway so worrying about it now does absolutely no good.
I don't think you even have to qualify it by "if he's good enough to help us now"... maybe the pro scouts have some idea how ready they think he is and maybe practices will help show it - but assuming he's at least in the ballpark of being ready you'll never really know until you actually play him. And it wouldn't necessarily be fair to expect him to "help" much in a sheltered 3rd pairing spot while just getting his feet wet anyway. So at this point, you've signed him, you've said he'll get into games, other college players get these cameos, and it's not like we have a rock-solid group of 6D anyway, so you play him. No qualifiers. I'd still treat it more as investment in him as a future potential core member of the team than anything else - if he plays and turns out to represent an improvement over the incumbents and it helps us in the immediate term, that's just a bonus. The last 5 games don't mean much anyway. Play him in all of them. Then we'll have a better sense if he's worth putting out there in the playoffs.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I assume they watch him in practice and if he looks to be an upgrade then they go with it. Another thing we can add to the pile of shit that pisses me off if things continue along the same path. Burn a year of Fabbro's deal so we can get our ass kicked in the playoffs. I sure hope that's not how it happens, but the only way you make it worth it would be winning.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Right now, you'd protect Josi, Fabbro, Ekholm and trade one of Subban or Ellis and expose the other. IMHO.

Projecting the lineup in two years is a stretch. At this point in the 2015-16 season the indicators were that Shea Weber would still be a Pred come the start of 2016-17. Fabbro could be the next stud defender, or the next (insert any one of hundreds of players who never panned out here).

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I assume they watch him in practice and if he looks to be an upgrade then they go with it. Another thing we can add to the pile of **** that pisses me off if things continue along the same path. Burn a year of Fabbro's deal so we can get our ass kicked in the playoffs. I sure hope that's not how it happens, but the only way you make it worth it would be winning.
Naw, I don't think it's fair to evaluate the Fabbro situation in conjunction with the rest of the team's performance. If the team wins or loses that's a separate issue (or heap of issues). Fabbro put in the work to become a 1st round draft pick, he put in the work at BU, he showed well and maintained his prospect status, and he's presumably giving up/delaying getting his degree by leaving school early, along with his opportunity to become a free agent. He has EARNED the opportunity to burn a year of his deal and get an early look, relative to league-wide standards. Denying him that opportunity would risk damaging your relationship with a player who could help you in the long term, and THAT is what would not be worth it.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I like speculating. Who really NEEDS to be protected? JOFA and Granlund if he extends with us. Deal Subban for an expansion exempt piece(s), protect top 4 of Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, Fabbro (hopefully he's so good he needs to be protected).

Many bring up Ellis, but while nothing is certain, I feel like he's not going anywhere. I have missed some games and periods of the games I've watched, but Ellis has been good defensively for what I've seen. Underwhelming offensively, but not bad. Maybe a bit unlucky and/or trying to hit those corners too hard.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
On topic: I'm eager to see Fabbro in NHL. Maybe Hamhuis gets a game or two to get up to game speed and then bring in Fabbro?

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I like speculating. Who really NEEDS to be protected? JOFA and Granlund if he extends with us. Deal Subban for an expansion exempt piece(s), protect top 4 of Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, Fabbro (hopefully he's so good he needs to be protected).

Many bring up Ellis, but while nothing is certain, I feel like he's not going anywhere. I have missed some games and periods of the games I've watched, but Ellis has been good defensively for what I've seen. Underwhelming offensively, but not bad. Maybe a bit unlucky and/or trying to hit those corners too hard.
This year more than others it would seem, his lack of size (inability to clear players from out front of Peks or redirect them when they are trying to cut to the net) and his lack of speed have been painfully displayed in my opinion.

Reactions: Gh24

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You say that but if he takes some of the load off of the big 4 before and during the playoffs....

Uncle Bob says the Preds are practicing a pairing of Hamhuis-Fabbro for Friday or Saturday

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It especially ticks you off when you remember the crap we were handed to start off with. And no I don't give a flying flip what they paid vs what we paid.

You may not but 85 million vs 650 million deserves different rules.

Crap or not id rather have had the Preds for these last 20 years than just now be getting a franchise.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't think Fabbro is the difference between an early exit and a late run. I'd prefer to not burn a year and keep him safe from the expansion draft.

If that was the plan then you dont sign Pitlick and give him a game already.

And besides, i suspect they think he can give us quality minutes, not to mention much needed depth

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
If that was the plan then you dont sign Pitlick and give him a game already.

And besides, i suspect they think he can give us quality minutes, not to mention much needed depth

Pitlick is a lower-tier prospect than Fabbro, and (assuming we go 7/3) it'll be a lot easier for forwards to be protected than d-men.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
They don't make banners for 'handling the expansion draft the best' If Fabbro makes the team better he will be protected. If Pitlick is good enough, he will be protected. Te rest is a matter of trades and protections. By the time the draft happens all of the big 4 d-men will be 30+ Turris will be 31, Bonino 32, a TON of current Preds will be UFAs.

None of you will give a crap if there is a cup banner.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Pitlick is a lower-tier prospect than Fabbro, and (assuming we go 7/3) it'll be a lot easier for forwards to be protected than d-men.

My point was, you dont sign alesser prospect like pitlick and give him an NHL game(and NHL money) but tell a more valuable and promising prospect "suck it up you cant play(nor will you get paid) until next fall." He might well have said "screw that ill go back to BU and wait to be a UFA"

Playing this season was almost certainly the carrot that helped convince Fabbro to go ahead and leave BU

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad