Prospect Info: 17th Overall Dante Fabbro

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Just to clarify, I think it'll be tough to move PK for a player who is going to improve the lineup without us taking a hit on salary retention. I just don't think there are going to be many teams willing to give us high value in exchange for PK. I hope I'm wrong, but if I were a GM I'd be hesitant to bring aboard a $9mm cap hit for an aging player at the cost of losing one of my better players.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Just to clarify, I think it'll be tough to move PK for a player who is going to improve the lineup without us taking a hit on salary retention. I just don't think there are going to be many teams willing to give us high value in exchange for PK. I hope I'm wrong, but if I were a GM I'd be hesitant to bring aboard a $9mm cap hit for an aging player at the cost of losing one of my better players.

I think he can be moved for picks and prospects easily. Which is a great option based on what we have lost recently.

I don't understand how some of you act like he has negative value, but then the next breath is concern over replacing him.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
I think he can be moved for picks and prospects easily. Which is a great option based on what we have lost recently.

I don't understand how some of you act like he has negative value, but then the next breath is concern over replacing him.

I think he's far from negative value, which is why I think he's a great asset to put on the trade block to try to improve the team, but I think the pool of potential trading partners is small based on his contract metrics and a subpar season to date.

Maybe it's all due to injuries, but he is definitely slower and seems to have a lot of difficulty with his skating this season for a player that had previously established that as one of his strongest attributes. How many times have you seen PK go to the ice this season when he's trying to make a sharp turn or recover quickly on D? It seems like it's happening every 2-3 games, sometimes multiple times during the game. It's been such a pronounced problem this season that I'm wondering if he changed to a new skate sponsor, changed his skate radius, or what.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
His value may depend also on just what his health situation really is. Teams aren't forthcoming to the public anymore, but within the inner circles of the league I'm sure most folks have some idea what is ailing him. (Assuming something actually is.) If he has something that's considered chronic/unfixable (back/neck disc thing seems to be one speculation) then that could hurt his value considerably. It would be nice if it is instead more just a focus/training/equipment issue, or some combination of those things. Those are fixable. But a chronic health issue on top of his poor play and big contract might be more difficult for teams to take on, even weighed against any marketing opportunities they see. An underperforming highly-paid player generally isn't that popular with a fanbase, no matter how scintillating their personality and commendable their charity work is.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I feel like people are gonna be surprised at just how good and NHL ready he actually is already.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I feel like people are gonna be surprised at just how good and NHL ready he actually is already.
Unfortunately, I don't think we have a very high bar at the moment... the team can't afford to play the 3rd pair more than 10 minutes as it is, and they still get burned and trapped in their zone by other teams' checking lines. It won't take much for Fabbro to be ready for our bottom pair. I expect him in the lineup Friday.

But I'll still reserve the right to be surprised if he shows good enough to fulfill some peoples' fantasies of being able to replace Ellis/Subban for next season. That's just a little too much to ask for too soon. And I also don't see the Preds being willing to play him enough to burn his expansion exemption to find out. (By Friday we might not have more than 9 games left this season anyway! :eek: )

Puckhead44

May 16, 2018
Unfortunately, I don't think we have a very high bar at the moment... the team can't afford to play the 3rd pair more than 10 minutes as it is, and they still get burned and trapped in their zone by other teams' checking lines. It won't take much for Fabbro to be ready for our bottom pair. I expect him in the lineup Friday.

But I'll still reserve the right to be surprised if he shows good enough to fulfill some peoples' fantasies of being able to replace Ellis/Subban for next season. That's just a little too much to ask for too soon. And I also don't see the Preds being willing to play him enough to burn his expansion exemption to find out. (By Friday we might not have more than 9 games left this season anyway! :eek: )

Playoff games don't count toward the 9 games I believe.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
That one comment on his instagram...

"Bruh if ur not in the NHL next season ur a bust"

Who did it? Come on fess up...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Waiting for 101 to pop up, but I think the answer is actually 1 due to his age. Slide rule with the 9 game limit only applies to 18-19 year olds. If he plays a game this year he should also be eligible for the expansion draft.

Nevermind, I see he was already here. :laugh:
Well, we hashed through this before, and I think 101 never quite got onboard with the argument, but it's not about "sliding". Nobody ever claimed that his contract would slide. It won't slide, it can't, we all know that. But he can still be exempt from the expansion draft even without it sliding if this year does not meet the game requirements for "a professional season".

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well, we hashed through this before, and I think 101 never quite got onboard with the argument, but it's not about "sliding". Nobody ever claimed that his contract would slide. It won't slide, it can't, we all know that. But he can still be exempt from the expansion draft even without it sliding if this year does not meet the game requirements for "a professional season".
All the rules state is "All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)." Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

Any info related to years of service outside of a contract/slide-rule context would be interesting.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

"
the term "professional season" shall:
(A) for a Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player
plays in eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular
Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff
games, and games played in any European professional league, while
under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in
which such Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including
NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and
playoff games, and games played in any European professional league,

while under an SPC). "

The Collective Bargaining Agreement, 10.1 (b) (i) ... printed page number 28 (page 48 of the pdf... see link posted above).

I "got onboard" with the actual document from the league which defines terms, not some random blog.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
"
the term "professional season" shall:
(A) for a Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player
plays in eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular
Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff
games, and games played in any European professional league, while
under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in
which such Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including
NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and
playoff games, and games played in any European professional league,

while under an SPC). "

The Collective Bargaining Agreement, 10.1 (b) (i) ... printed page number 28 (page 48 of the pdf... see link posted above).

I "got onboard" with the actual document from the league which defines terms, not some random blog.
I guess we'll see. It's nice paragraph, but fortunately for us it's not a paragraph which defines terms for the expansion draft. It was written years before there was an expansion draft. I've never seen a good publishing of the expansion draft rules in a CBA-like format, just the little summary excerpts which aren't generally clear enough and that folks end up scurrying off to Daly for clarification on. But anyway now that Fabbro is signed and incoming, I'm sure somebody will similarly save us the effort and confirm or deny his exemption status for us. It should be an avatar bet or something to keep it all in good fun! :crossfing :D

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I guess we'll see. It's nice paragraph, but fortunately for us it's not a paragraph which defines terms for the expansion draft. It was written years before there was an expansion draft. I've never seen a good publishing of the expansion draft rules in a CBA-like format, just the little summary excerpts which aren't generally clear enough and that folks end up scurrying off to Daly for clarification on. But anyway now that Fabbro is signed and incoming, I'm sure somebody will similarly save us the effort and confirm or deny his exemption status for us. It should be an avatar bet or something to keep it all in good fun! :crossfing :D

It quite literally defines "professional season" for the NHL and NHLPA. It is the basis for why an 18 or 19 year old player, who just also happens to be eligible for junior hockey, can have their contract slide by playing in 10 or fewer professional games.

The expansion draft is clear that a player in his first or second professional season is exempt from the expansion draft. Fabbro and Pitlick will both finish their second professional season following 2019-20 (assuming they each play one game for the Preds or Ads, regular season or playoffs). The only way to keep them from having this season count as a "professional season" is for them to not play a single game in the NHL or minors.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It quite literally defines "professional season" for the NHL and NHLPA. It is the basis for why an 18 or 19 year old player, who just also happens to be eligible for junior hockey, can have their contract slide by playing in 10 or fewer professional games.

The expansion draft is clear that a player in his first or second professional season is exempt from the expansion draft. Fabbro and Pitlick will both finish their second professional season following 2019-20 (assuming they each play one game for the Preds or Ads, regular season or playoffs). The only way to keep them from having this season count as a "professional season" is for them to not play a single game in the NHL or minors.
So in other words you're taking the bet, then? :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad