GDT: #17: Blackhawks 0 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, 1:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere was a better playoff performer than Voracek by a wide margin. 2009-12:
45 PO games, 27-25 52
Giroux was at his peak from 2009-12, dominant playoff performer, last year ????
44 PO games, 19-31 50
Hartnell was as good as Voracek
Kimmo was still a top D-man, Coburn was a beast for a couple years.

Patrick, TK weren't playoff ready last year, Couts was the only forward who stood out.
That team was much, much better than last year's team, deep and experienced.
Just lacked a goalie, they only challenged when Leighton had his career season.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
giphy.gif

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
There's more than enough talent on this team to make a run, if only they had a better coach, a better goalie, and a MUCH BETTER PK.

If they had a reliable goalie or hot goalie performance and played the kids on D (Sanheim, Myers, Friedman) I don’t see why this isn’t a Cup contender on paper. The coaching, awful systems, middling PP, and awful PK on the other hand...

Reactions: mja

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
So what? They never got us past the first round in three tries.
If we're depending on them, we're never going to win a Cup.
It's going to be the young core that takes us to the promised land, players like Giroux, Voracek and JVR will be complementary pieces.
The future is Couts, Patrick, TK, Lindblom, Frost, etc. and Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers.
What has prevented deep runs with this core is depth, defense, and/or goaltending.

Can throw coaching in there, too, because not enough has been done to get Giroux easier match ups at even strength.

Your point about the young guys is true, just not necessarily for the reason you are arguing; there are now good depth pieces at all positions to give the Flyers a chance in the coming seasons to finally win two+ rounds for the first time in almost a decade.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Young defensemen usually need a couple seasons before they're ready for playoff hockey, most arrive around 23-24 years old.

2021: our defensemen are 23-28 years old, our young goalies 22-27 years old.

I think when Hextall made that Schenn trade for draft picks, he pretty much revealed that 2020-21 is his target year to be a Cup contender.

Doesn't mean they can't make the playoffs and win a round the next two years, but raise your hand if you'd feel confident with Elliott as the starting goalie in the playoffs.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
If they had a reliable goalie or hot goalie performance and played the kids on D (Sanheim, Myers, Friedman) I don’t see why this isn’t a Cup contender on paper. The coaching, awful systems, middling PP, and awful PK on the other hand...

i think that's the issue, we dont enough depth on defense and forwards to be a contender and of course the goal tending is inconsistent as well, i dont trust elliot. you look at why the caps won is because of their depth, they have alot of experienced forwards and defense and goaltending.

it's nice that giroux, jake courts, ghost are the ones getting the points but that's not going to be enough, that's why we lost against pens, they shut one line down and we were toasted, there's no depth, it's still a problem now, hextall has to address it.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Young defensemen usually need a couple seasons before they're ready for playoff hockey, most arrive around 23-24 years old.

2021: our defensemen are 23-28 years old, our young goalies 22-27 years old.

I think when Hextall made that Schenn trade for draft picks, he pretty much revealed that 2020-21 is his target year to be a Cup contender.

Doesn't mean they can't make the playoffs and win a round the next two years, but raise your hand if you'd feel confident with Elliott as the starting goalie in the playoffs.
Now raise your hand if you feel confident with Hakstol as the coach in the playoffs.

"Crickets"

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i think that's the issue, we dont enough depth on defense and forwards to be a contender and of course the goal tending is inconsistent as well, i dont trust elliot. you look at why the caps won is because of their depth, they have alot of experienced forwards and defense and goaltending.

it's nice that giroux, jake courts, ghost are the ones getting the points but that's not going to be enough, that's why we lost against pens, they shut one line down and we were toasted, there's no depth, it's still a problem now, hextall has to address it.
Agreed. We have amassed so many assets that we KNOW we don't have room for them all, why not use a few to fill holes TODAY, and see if we can open the window NOW as opposed to in 3 years IF Hart is indeed the saviour.

What happens if Hart isn't? Or Sandstorm isn't? Then we sat around waiting for nothing. They are not ready for 2-3 years anyways, so let's make some moves to get things going now and HELP the current team. We did on LW with JVR. Let's do it in goal too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Agreed. We have amassed so many assets that we KNOW we don't have room for them all, why not use a few to fill holes TODAY, and see if we can open the window NOW as opposed to in 3 years IF Hart is indeed the saviour.

Unfortunately, we have few prospects with that kind of value, and those are the core players we want to build around.
Ghost or Sanheim could get us a goaltender . . . same with TK or Lindblom.
Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, Allison, Myers would garner something of value.

Problem is you'd be selling 20 cents on the potential dollar.

Wait two years and a lot of the "surplus" prospects will be more valuable, because many were mid-round picks, teams will take a "show me" stance, but if Kalynuk not only dominates the NCAA, but comes out and is a top AHL defenseman next year, his value goes straight up.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
FROM THE COAST AND HEARD JOHN GARRET SAY HE WAS PLAYING WELL....THAT, AND MY AFFINITY FOR XXXL GOALTENDERS HAD MY INTEREST PIQUED. I NEED TO WATCH AN ENTIRE CANUCKS GAME, I GUESS.
Why are you yelling at me? :(

:sarcasm:

John Garrett is also a complete homer moron, so his praise of Markstrom is not even slightly surprising.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

They absolutely have enough depth on D if they just trusted Sanheim and let Myers play. I don’t know about now, but Elliott was actually posting numbers of an average replacement goalie as of a few games ago. I imagine we let up an inordinate amount of high danger chances. I don’t know that but I would venture to guess it.

The forward group is one of the deepest in the league on paper. We lost against the Pens because Sanheim/Myers weren’t given a chance, Hak broke up our best line and demoted Konecny to 12 minutes a game, our PK is a tire fire every single year, and Hak has awful in-game management while endorsing a system that favors point shots over high danger/slot chances. None of that has to do with our depth.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Briere was a better playoff performer than Voracek by a wide margin. 2009-12:
45 PO games, 27-25 52
Giroux was at his peak from 2009-12, dominant playoff performer, last year ????
44 PO games, 19-31 50
Hartnell was as good as Voracek
Kimmo was still a top D-man, Coburn was a beast for a couple years.

Patrick, TK weren't playoff ready last year, Couts was the only forward who stood out.
That team was much, much better than last year's team, deep and experienced.
Just lacked a goalie, they only challenged when Leighton had his career season.
ssesThis is nonsense. Briere was clearly past his prime inl 2012-13, including 2009 in your assessment is your standard intellectual dishonesty. Briere at his best wasn't as good as Voracek; by 2013 he was a serious negative performer.

Are you trying to make some case that Giroux was a better playoff performer at 24 and became a choker?

The difference between the two teams was 5 points and I guarantee every single member of this board can find 8-10 points Haktard cost his team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux was quicker and more explosive at 24 than 30, he was a top NHL center back then, and could match up against anyone.

Briere is one of the great playoff performers of the last two decades, Voracek has always been mediocre in the postseason. Just look at Briere's production "past his prime."

Voracek: Flyer playoff career, 30 games, 5-13 18 -5

Briere
before Flyers: 39 game 13-24 37
Flyers 2007-2012: 68 games 37-35 72

Voracek isn't in the same league with Briere when it comes to post-season performance.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They absolutely have enough depth on D if they just trusted Sanheim and let Myers play. I don’t know about now, but Elliott was actually posting numbers of an average replacement goalie as of a few games ago. I imagine we let up an inordinate amount of high danger chances. I don’t know that but I would venture to guess it.

The forward group is one of the deepest in the league on paper. We lost against the Pens because Sanheim/Myers weren’t given a chance, Hak broke up our best line and demoted Konecny to 12 minutes a game, our PK is a tire fire every single year, and Hak has awful in-game management while endorsing a system that favors point shots over high danger/slot chances. None of that has to do with our depth.
Don’t forget how Hak put a Filppula with Giroux on the top line in back-to-back elimination games!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Goaltending is definitely top on the list of fixes to accelerate the progress to contender. The problem is finding a significant upgrade at a reasonable cost. You have to find either an established star on a rebuilding team or a backup ready to break out. Not an easy task.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim and Myers would have been a disaster in last year's playoffs.
There is a huge difference between talent and performance.

You can see this with Myers in the AHL, some good games, a few putrid games, consistency is still a work in progress.

I imagine we let up an inordinate amount of high danger chances. I don’t know that but I would venture to guess it.

We're ranked #13 in High Danger Chances Against, #14 in High Danger Goals Against
The three previous season, #10 in HDCA.

Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad