GDT: #17: Blackhawks 0 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, 1:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I expect us to make the playoffs this year. And I don't expect Hakstol to get fired anytime soon.

The question is, will Hextall do anything to fix our goaltending issues. Because with this goalie lineup we may as well not make the playoffs.
I wonder what it would cost to acquire Crawford at the deadline. The Hawks are obviously not a playoff team this year. Would Hextall be willing to trade a 1st? Maybe it's time to prove that playoffs mean more to him than the draft.
As Curu has pointed out, Elliott is top 10 in SV% at ES this year. It's our PK that is killing us....and his numbers.

Pick and Neuvirth both suck at ES so far though.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
As Curu has pointed out, Elliott is top 10 in SV% at ES this year. It's our PK that is killing us....and his numbers.

Pick and Neuvirth both suck at ES so far though.
Even if his numbers are decent now and even if he continues to play well for the rest of the regular season, we know he's not going to help us in the playoffs. He's not a playoff goalie and he'll never be one.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Even if his numbers are decent now and even if he continues to play well for the rest of the regular season, we know he's not going to help us in the playoffs. He's not a playoff goalie and he'll never be one.
The numbers do agree with you.

Not to mention, we NEED a legit starter for a 2-3 years to pair with Hart and we have no one signed that can be that right now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I expect us to make the playoffs this year. And I don't expect Hakstol to get fired anytime soon.

The question is, will Hextall do anything to fix our goaltending issues. Because with this goalie lineup we may as well not make the playoffs.
I wonder what it would cost to acquire Crawford at the deadline. The Hawks are obviously not a playoff team this year. Would Hextall be willing to trade a 1st? Maybe it's time to prove that playoffs mean more to him than the draft.
You can prove that playoffs are important without making a bad value trade.

A 1st round pick (plus?) for a 34 year old goalie would be dumb.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
a first, a 2nd for crawford is ridiculous.

I looked up Crawford's info.
He was full-time in the AHL for 4 seasons before becoming the regular starter.

I don't think we should assume Hart will be ready next season.

I'd assume needing a 3-4 season bridge.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
a first, a 2nd for crawford is ridiculous.

I looked up Crawford's info.
He was full-time in the AHL for 4 seasons before becoming the regular starter.

I don't think we should assume Hart will be ready next season.

I'd assume needing a 3-4 season bridge.
If Myers and Sanheim weren't full time contributors to the big club at the age of 21, what do you think Hart's chances are?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The numbers do agree with you.

Not to mention, we NEED a legit starter for a 2-3 years to pair with Hart and we have no one signed that can be that right now.

I fully expect Elliot to get a 2-3 year extension. It's just such a Hextall move

Elliot/Lyon next season for the Flyers and Hart/Sandstrom with the Phantoms. Stolarz likely will be gone this summer

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Im sure this has been discussed but I didn't know and I find it interesting.

Lundquist didn't become the regular goalie until 23-24 yrs old.
Hart is 20 yrs old right now.

I think we're making big assumptions thinking Hart is going to be ready next season or the one after.

A three year bridge of someone like Bob may not be a bad idea.

I've heard talk about how when Hart is ready then we'll be ready to take out.
Well, that may mean waiting for 3 more seasons.

Just throwing this out there.
Not preaching this is as dogma

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, we can't view Hart as the final piece to being a contender. The Hawks didn't wait for Crawford, the Bruins didn't wait for Rask. We have to solve the Goalie situation now.
A proven veteran playoff goalie for 2-3 years would be ideal.

Waiting for Hart means burning even more of Voracek and Giroux's primes than we've already wasted with Berube and Hakstol.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm totally on board with upgrading in net. There's no reason we shouldn't be trying to actually start winning multiple playoff series this year. I'd prefer a guy like Lundqvist who fits the timeline better instead of a guy like Bob who's likely to break the bank with his next contract. If you're going with a guy like Bob, then I'd rather keep the term short and go high on AAV, if he's up for that.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Im sure this has been discussed but I didn't know and I find it interesting.

Lundquist didn't become the regular goalie until 23-24 yrs old.
Hart is 20 yrs old right now.

I think we're making big assumptions thinking Hart is going to be ready next season or the one after.

A three year bridge of someone like Bob may not be a bad idea.

I've heard talk about how when Hart is ready then we'll be ready to take out.
Well, that may mean waiting for 3 more seasons.

Just throwing this out there.
Not preaching this is as dogma

Yep. And Goalies are still voodoo to a strong degree. A crazy month shouldn’t get him a promotion.

I know Hextall’s long patience is annoying in many cases, but this is one where we really need to relax and let him develop.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm totally on board with upgrading in net. There's no reason we shouldn't be trying to actually start winning multiple playoff series this year. I'd prefer a guy like Lundqvist who fits the timeline better instead of a guy like Bob who's likely to break the bank with his next contract. If you're going with a guy like Bob, than I'd rather keep the term short and go high on AAV, if he's up for that.
Henrik Lundqvist, the destroyer of our hopes and dreams, playing for the Flyers. I'd love that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JJ’s reaction was priceless haha. He was stunned and called the shot a mile wide (a mile showing his Herculean strength tbf) and said he had no idea what Hagg was aiming at.

Actually, sometimes defensemen deliberately shoot to miss the net to get a rebound off the boards into the slot, I've seen it done against the Flyers more than once this season.
Now whether that was Hagg's intent, ???

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think it'll take Hart three years to be NHL ready, but it may take more than one.
But just say no to Bob, he'll cost way too much and he has a horrible playoff record.
Elliott is a better bet in the post-season than Bob:

Bob: 24 games, 5-14, .891
Elliott 43 games, 16-23, .903

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
and for this to happen, it's probably going to const more than we want, being a metro team and all.

Unless the rags just want to do Lundy a favor.
The question is, what are we willing to pay? Getting a Lundqvist type goaltender would be a pretty significant upgrade after all, turning us into an instant Cup contender.

Reactions: Tripod

mja

Jan 7, 2005
and for this to happen, it's probably going to const more than we want, being a metro team and all.

I don't think it'll cost that much, especially if you pull the trigger this year when he has quite a bit of term left. A 2nd, a lesser prospect but one with real NHL upside, one of the goalies. Something like that gets you there, I think.

And Lundqvist would probably prefer to stay close to NY, which works in our favor.

mja

Jan 7, 2005

I don't think it'll cost that much, especially if you pull the trigger this year when he has quite a bit of term left. A 2nd, a lesser prospect but one with real NHL upside, one of the goalies. Something like that gets you there, I think.

And Lundqvist would probably prefer to stay close to NY, which works in our favor.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I know Hextall’s long patience is annoying in many cases, but this is one where we really need to relax and let him develop.
agree. which is why WE NEED to get an actual top-end goalie now...whos an actual option?? VARLY? BOB? LUNDQUIST? who else??

th (73).jpg

just my opinion but still pissed we didnt go after (admittedly unproven) MARKSTROM...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad