GDT: #17: Blackhawks 0 at FLYERS 4, Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, 1:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
There's more than enough talent on this team to make a run, if only they had a better coach, a better goalie, and a MUCH BETTER PK.
a run is imo luck...we could have a run right now. Our defense and second wave of forwards are still just too young imo.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If they're going to get a Goalie (which I don't expect), I would strongly prefer getting ome with exactly 1 year left. If I couldn't get that, I would go to 2 over a pending UFA. You don't want to hand out a high-end Goalie UFA contract right now.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
agree. which is why WE NEED to get an actual top-end goalie now...whos an actual option?? VARLY? BOB? LUNDQUIST? who else??

View attachment 153839markstrom has taken his fair share of heat in Vancouver too.

just my opinion but still pissed we didnt go after (admittedly unproven) MARKSTROM...
Goalie is a tough job....it would be like being a baseball pitcher with no team on the field. Unless you are throwing strikeouts, it's a long day.

If your team defense is giving up high value shots no goalie will be successful.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
well if people want a legit number 1 they will have to pay for it via trade or free agency. not that I agree on paying out 10m per, but you have to give to get.
I don't see good trade targets either.

I think Colorado is keeping varly. Bob will be catbird...and we have to compete with STL and Calgary for giving him $$. We are already third in that race imo...

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Afternoon games are usually losses for the Flyers. I hope it's not what happens, but if they rely on Elliot as the starting goalie, it could get really ugly in a hurry. Chicago will be playing with a chip on their shoulder, since Q was fired because of their lousy record this season.

Solid set of predictions there! ;)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think we're that far from contending. We probably wouldn't be the Cup favorite, but the Cup favorite doesn't always win.

An above average goalie would make us a top eight team right now.
It would still take two more years to be a Cup favorite, because we not only need to add more young talent, we need the young talent we have to mature.
Just compare TK now to rookie TK, or Ghost now to Ghost 3 years ago.
Patrick in two years will be a beast.
Sanheim and Myers should be set in the top four in two years.

Fortunately, once the core young players are set, we can work players like Frost and Farabee gradually, the way we did with Schenn, Couts and JVR 8 years ago when we had depth.

But forget Bob, the best bet is a older veteran goalie with a playoff pedigree who won't break the bank.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's sad to say this but if Hart is the goalie we hope he will be, Giroux and Voracek will be declining by the time he is an elite goaltender.

So what? They never got us past the first round in three tries.
If we're depending on them, we're never going to win a Cup.
It's going to be the young core that takes us to the promised land, players like Giroux, Voracek and JVR will be complementary pieces.
The future is Couts, Patrick, TK, Lindblom, Frost, etc. and Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Did G and Voracek not get us past the first round in 2012? :huh:

I love how poor goaltending is an excuse for Honk, but not for the actuall good players who carry this team.

G+V as the go to guys with a real headcoach: 2nd round exit

G+V as the go to guys under Honk the clown as headcoach: 3 straight first round losses.

Yeah, G+V were the problem I'm sure.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I love how poor goaltending is an excuse for Honk, but not for the actuall good players who carry this team.

G+V as the go to guys under Honk the clown as headcoach: 3 straight first round losses.

Blaming them for the teams lack of playoff success is just more lying to protect the coach, as always.

Unless Giroux or Voracek was in net last year? Then maybe I could see the argument. :laugh:

Fact is, Giroux's had one poor(ish) playoff series when healthy, which was last year, and even then I remember Appleyard making a post to show how unlucky he was. He was injured during the previous series against the Caps.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

2011-12: Giroux was 24, Voracek 22, Simmonds 23, along with Briere (13 points in 11 games), Jagr, B Schenn, Hartnell, Talbot, Read, Couts and JVR - that's quite a forward group!
Coburn, Kimmo, Carle and Grossman on defense

I think that team might have been a tad more talented than the 2015-16 or 2017-18 version.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
2011-12: Giroux was 24, Voracek 22, Simmonds 23, along with Briere (13 points in 11 games), Jagr, B Schenn, Hartnell, Talbot, Read, Couts and JVR - that's quite a forward group!

I think that team might have been a tad more talented than the 2015-16 or 2017-18 version.

So we agree then, G and V are not the problem, the surrounding cast is. Glad you finally agree.

Reactions: Tripod and kudymen

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
costanza-answering-machine.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do people go to such lengths here to distort what I say, is "winning" these silly arguments so important?

I've never said G & V are the problem, rather, that they're not the solution, so if they decline a bit more it's not going to make a significant difference in this team's long-run prospects. So there's no reason to follow a "win now" strategy.

The only way this team becomes a Cup Contender is if the young core emerges.

If I could trade Voracek for a couple pieces that could help us win in 2-3 years (but not 4-5, so no draft picks that won't arrive until 2022 or 2023) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

No, not close. Giroux and Voracek were better last year, Couturier was MUCH better last year. Schenn and JVR weren't very good at that point. I'll take Konecny and playoff Patrick over Jagr and Hartnell.

Provorov and Ghost are better than all of those defensemen, and Sanheim is better than Carle right now. Grossmann and Talbot? LOL

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad