Proposal: MTL - STL

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Habs: Jordan Kyrou
Blues: 5th overall 2024

Cap aside - how’s the value?

St-Louis needs to tear it down, not enough high end pieces in the system. Habs looking to make a newhook/dach type trade.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Kyrou is a good player, but i would rather take a homerun swing at 5 knowing that there's probably a less than 50% chance the player ends up better than him. Getting a blue chip prospect on an elc can be more valuable than a first line player on a reasonable deal depending on how it works out.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think the Blues would want more and I don't really see Kyrou as a player Montreal would be looking for, especially at the cost of their 1st.

Reactions: viceroy

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I do think there's a few reasons why this makes sense for both sides. Blues need a top defensive prospect for our next core group, Montreal looks like they need offense, and they have plenty of picks. Kyrou's NTC hasn't kicked in yet and is locked up long-term, so I could see that being attractive for a team like Montreal where players now tend to have Canada on there no-trade lists. Kyrou is a player that I wouldn't be shocked if Army moves him, but also wouldn't be shocked if he stays.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
I like it for Montreal. Habs need a top 6 right wing. Would be willing to add one of Harris, Struble or a second round pick.

At 25 yo, he fits well with the core of Suzuki, Caufield and Dach
Habs need a truely elite difference maker better than our existing core - and Kyrou is not that. We need to hope the pick becomes one otherwise we’re just spinning our wheels hoping to be a playoff bubble team

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I would be asking for more for Kyrou.

DeBrincat returned a 7th, 39th, and a 3rd

Moving up from 7th to 5th would definitely cost at least the 39th and probably the 3rd along with it. DeBrincat had two 40 goal seasons and one 32 goal campaign in the shortened 52 game season where he scored over a point per game.

Not sure Kyrou has the same kind of pull. Also Dorion was a bad GM.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I doubt the 5th pick will put up better numbers than Kyrou, and I’m not sure the dman availble will be elite #1’s. This Blues fan probably passes on the deal.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I wouldn’t do that if I’m Montreal…self admittedly, I’m not a huge Kyrou fan as a core piece unless you’ve got a really insulated, two-way group of top sixers already in the fold. Great offensively, really fun to watch when he’s going…but I’d take the bet on that 5th overall pick being a more important player to winning core a few years down the road.

I don’t think Kyrou profiles as the type of player the Habs are dying for up front other than just a broad “we need more scoring” sentiment. But you are going to be feeling that going through a proper rebuild. Don’t take shortcuts.

Reactions: jsol and Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Dammit, you guys aren't supposed to realize that. We're supposed to do this trade and then later when you make the playoffs and try winning with that guy it dawns on you what happened. Not beforehand such that the trade never happens.
He did good last time he was in the playoffs.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Value is probably fair, but I'd lean towards no from the Habs. I'd rather swing the fences for a guy who aligns better with our core. I wouldn't be upset at all if we got Kyrou for the pick though.

Edit: I thought Kyrou was 28 for some reason.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kyrou is a good player, but i would rather take a homerun swing at 5 knowing that there's probably a less than 50% chance the player ends up better than him. Getting a blue chip prospect on an elc can be more valuable than a first line player on a reasonable deal depending on how it works out.
I mean if celebrini and Demidov are off the board…. Idk that I love the chances of getting a forward better than kyrou there

Reactions: alasania94

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Value is probably fair, but I'd lean towards no from the Habs. I'd rather swing the fences for a guy who aligns better with our core. I wouldn't be upset at all if we got Kyrou for the pick though.

Edit: I thought Kyrou was 28 for some reason.
He fits our timeline well. He’s what you hope newhook becomes. (Similar players)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad