Prospect Info: #160 Aarne Talvitie (C)

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Would be horrendous and irresponsible if was allowed to continue to play with a serious injury such as an ACL tear.

Very bad for his career if true

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Well, the word Talvitie used was "poikki" which means that his ACL was perhaps cut off or something like that. I'm not sure what is the right word in english.

At least in the US, in a sports context, ACLs are discussed in terms of being "torn". There are degrees of tearing of an ACL and it can also be stretched or sprained. Hopefully for Talvitie it is not a complete tear.

Reactions: Verdoux

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
prob already mentioned, but 4g-3a-7p in 7gp during WJC 20s is insane. finished in a 5-way tie for 3rd highest score during the tournament

prob doesn't matter, but finished 2nd in +/- with a +9, and did it all while spending 14min in the box.

Reactions: Blender and My3Sons

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
prob already mentioned, but 4g-3a-7p in 7gp during WJC 20s is insane. finished in a 5-way tie for 3rd highest score during the tournament

prob doesn't matter, but finished 2nd in +/- with a +9, and did it all while spending 14min in the box.

Being tied 3rd for scoring is extra impressive when you factor in all the stat-padding from Canada's 14-0 win.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Tough news, but at least he'll have a gold medal to help with the recuperation.

Whenever I hear about ACL tears, I'm reminded of something that Michal Handzus said a few years after he tore his. It was something to the effect of "Your knee is healthy enough to play after 9 months, but it didn't feel 100% until closer to 18 months."

Reactions: My3Sons

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
SlimyRewardingImperialeagle-size_restricted.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Tough news, but at least he'll have a gold medal to help with the recuperation.

Whenever I hear about ACL tears, I'm reminded of something that Michal Handzus said a few years after he tore his. It was something to the effect of "Your knee is healthy enough to play after 9 months, but it didn't feel 100% until closer to 18 months."

Yup, that’s generally the thinking although it seems with more advanced surgical and rehab these days I’m thinking 12-14 months to feel relatively normal. Thankfully as a hockey player he should be ok once he gets past the rehab and strengthening. He’s not an NFL running back and should have enough stability to play well once he reaches MMI. It’s obviously a big disappointment for him but I do not doubt a kid with his heart and toughness will get past this.

I’m curious if he will stay in the US or stay in FIN for surgery and rehab. I’m also curious if Penn St will stand by him since he suffered the injury outside of their program.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad