Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=299098

4Tx0EU95.jpg

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Doesn't really look like a hockey player, probably will end up being nothing special :sarcasm:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I have to be honest and say I haven't sat down to dig up any film on Talvitie, though he played very well at the U-18. These are the types of picks you just have to trust the scouting staff on -- someone in the scouting department had to REALLY like this kid to get him drafted, even this late.

It is worth saying that he is a versatile and hard-working forward who plays a 200-foot game. The knock on him seems to be that he doesn't have a ton of upside and is more likely to be a useful bottom-6 forward than a "diamond in the rough".

Since the Devils were swinging for the fences with "boom/bust" types all over the early rounds, a pick likes this makes sense.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I have to be honest and say I haven't sat down to dig up any film on Talvitie, though he played very well at the U-18. These are the types of picks you just have to trust the scouting staff on -- someone in the scouting department had to REALLY like this kid to get him drafted, even this late.

It is worth saying that he is a versatile and hard-working forward who plays a 200-foot game. The knock on him seems to be that he doesn't have a ton of upside and is more likely to be a useful bottom-6 forward than a "diamond in the rough".

Since the Devils were swinging for the fences with "boom/bust" types all over the early rounds, a pick likes this makes sense.

Perfect our JJ replacement in a few years. He even has nice hair, it'll be a seamless transition!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
McKeen's hockey had him ranked 77th coming in. Hockeyprospect had him 111.

Had a 4-3-7 stat line in 7 gp's at the WJC U-18's this year. Wore the C for Finland, a team which had 3 soon to be 1st rnd picks in Heiskanen Vaakanainen and Vesalainen.

Looks like a very solid pick.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Like this pick for you guys a lot. He was probably my favourite Finn at the U18's.

Same. Seems like a very likeable guy both on and off the ice. Heart-and-soul kind of player, reminds me a teeny bit of Komarov without the pest aspect. Offensive upside is the biggest question, most likely to be a 3rd liner maybe.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Looks like he may be going to Sioux Falls for a year before Penn State. He was just drafted in the USHL's third round, and his Eliteprospects page has Penn State listed 2018-19.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
The hockey-crazy Finns who watch junior international tournaments rank this guy up high. If I had to put money on someone from late rounds to actually turn out an NHL professional its either him or Julius Repo (Panthers' pick).

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The thing that stood out from Talvitie at dev camp was his shot. I think it's NHL-level already. Good to see him playing well. If he keeps it up maybe he'll see some time in Liiga this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The thing that stood out from Talvitie at dev camp was his shot. I think it's NHL-level already. Good to see him playing well. If he keeps it up maybe he'll see some time in Liiga this year.

Can't play Liiga if he wants to go to Penn St. Any time with the professional team will void his amateurism.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I'm telling ya guys, this dudes shot will make him a fourth line player at the very least. kid has a cannon.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Screw it he's easily outgrown the junior game. Sign him now and bring him to Binghamton

The only reason why he's still playing in the Finnish junior league this season is because of his commitment to Penn State for next season...if he plays in the professional league, he'll lose his NCAA eligibility

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The only reason why he's still playing in the Finnish junior league this season is because of his commitment to Penn State for next season...if he plays in the professional league, he'll lose his NCAA eligibility

Anyone know wh he didn't just go to Penn State this season?

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011

Oh I totally understand that already. I'm jokingly saying that we should just sign him now because he's clearly dominating the junior level game.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Realistically, anyone taken in the 6th Round has an extremely low probability of ever stepping onto NHL ice, so just the fact that he has leadership qualities, and a good head on his shoulders made this a decent pick regardless of what happens. My 2¢.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad